IGNORED

I2S Computer Build

PF Bridge is installed, but so far all I can get is static from it. This was a custom bridge fitted with an RJ45 output, pinned for my Aqua DAC. I've tried it through ASIO4ALL (no sound at all) and through JRiver WASAPI (static from both channels, tried multiple sample rate/bit depths and all do the same thing). Gotta love this hobby :)

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

PF Bridge is installed, but so far all I can get is static from it. This was a custom bridge fitted with an RJ45 output, pinned for my Aqua DAC. I've tried it through ASIO4ALL (no sound at all) and through JRiver WASAPI (static from both channels, tried multiple sample rate/bit depths and all do the same thing). Gotta love this hobby :)

Can you post an image of the card from the rear and the cable on both ends?

Jesus R

Bummer.

You've probably seen them, but in case not, there's 2 install guides on the PF site. They're pretty basic though.

Hi Todd,

Did you verify that the card is getting the 12V at the LP4 and if your PCI connection is OK?

Early on in setup, I could bring up the card in Control Panel / Audio Devices and click on Test, and I heard the Windows test tones through the speakers.

Separately, I changed the power to the card to feed it 12V directly from the LPS, and moved the DC-ATX away from the card as Jesus suggested and the sound improved. Jord mentioned too that 12V direct would be very good for the sound.

Can you post an image of the card from the rear and the cable on both ends?

Jesus R

Jesus, hopefully this G+ album/link will work. The leads are covered in silicone so it's probably difficult to see what's going on:

https://goo.gl/photos/8CBTjS3cF8Ff9YZB8

Pepi - The card is showing up in Windows Sound/Playback Devices so my assumption is that it is getting the proper 12V feed. I'm feeding it directly out of my HDPlex LPSU (not the DC-ATX converter, I don't have that installed yet, just to be clear). Not sure what else I can try at this point :( I have reseated the card twice - the RJ45 connector on this thing is very wide and doesn't fit well between the expansion card slots but I managed to correct that with some pliers to the case. It fits fine at this point.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

To add another data point, I'm just using a standard Cat5 patch cable. I also have some "Cat7" patch cables from Amazon I've tried, 1', 3', and somewhere in between as far as lengths go that I've tried.

I know it's a long shot but have you tried a crossover cable instead of a patch cable?

I actually considered that as I was thinking about what else I could try upstairs but not knowing much about this stuff, I wouldn't want to inadvertently send power or ground on the wrong pin and toast the input on my DAC, but I would definitely not rule out your suggestion Robby.

Just for grins, thinking maybe something was weird with how I wired the molex plug that connects to the DC Jack for the HDPLex 12V out, I tried powering the I2S bridge directly from the PSU in the case with a typical molex male LP4 but no dice, same thing.

Funny enough, I CAN hear music on some things, it's just shrouded in this "digital hiss." for lack of a better term. Think "digititis" times a thousand, that's the best way I can describe it.

Jesus, hopefully this G+ album/link will work. The leads are covered in silicone so it's probably difficult to see what's going on:

https://goo.gl/photos/8CBTjS3cF8Ff9YZB8

Pepi - The card is showing up in Windows Sound/Playback Devices so my assumption is that it is getting the proper 12V feed. I'm feeding it directly out of my HDPlex LPSU (not the DC-ATX converter, I don't have that installed yet, just to be clear). Not sure what else I can try at this point :( I have reseated the card twice - the RJ45 connector on this thing is very wide and doesn't fit well between the expansion card slots but I managed to correct that with some pliers to the case. It fits fine at this point.

I was expecting something cleaner, but it's a modification. It appears to be tapping into the LVDS chip? Anyway, it could be anything and hard to test without proper equipment.

Jesus R

Jord's thinking at this point that the issue is with the DAC Chips I have - two PCM1704 Burr Brown DACs which are evidently not I2S chips (?). I need to open up the DAC tonight and take pictures around the I2S input and dac chips to see if there are any reclocker chips in or around them inside the DAC.

Since the DAC and chips I have run I2S from Aqua's own La Diva transport, I have to wonder how that works but the I2S bridge does not, does it/could it have something to do with the master/slave clock relationship?

All fixed - it was a jumper setting inside the DAC. For anyone reading this later for the Aqua La Voce S2 with Burr Brown PCM1704 chips (2 of them), the J5 jumper needs to be set to "N" instead of "L" which was the factory setting on my unit. I also changed "J8" from 256 to 128, this *seems* to have further clarified things but it's hard to say if that jumper even has anything to do with this particular setup. I couldn't find any documentation on it.

Hopefully this helps someone on a Google search sometime down the line ;)

Todd

All fixed - it was a jumper setting inside the DAC. For anyone reading this later for the Aqua La Voce S2 with Burr Brown PCM1704 chips (2 of them), the J5 jumper needs to be set to "N" instead of "L" which was the factory setting on my unit. I also changed "J8" from 256 to 128, this *seems* to have further clarified things but it's hard to say if that jumper even has anything to do with this particular setup. I couldn't find any documentation on it.

Hopefully this helps someone on a Google search sometime down the line ;)

Todd

Great. I'll add a note on my database.

Jesus R

Here's a screenshot of Jord's schematic, if it helps at all:

LaVoceS2pinoutandnotes.PNG

Note the image mentions "J8" but in reality, it should be "J5" at least as far as my results show.

So, this is probably a dumb thing to do as it's tough to judge most changes after 10-12 songs but, to me, I2S in my setup, even using WASAPI and full GUI mode on S12R2, is a step up over a tricked out USB chain (Regen, PPA V2 card, HDPlex powering both). It's as if someone focused the lens on a camera just a *touch* more with I2S vs USB. Vocals are crisper, they separate more from the rest of the music I guess, same with bass guitars on rock/metal, they're more tangible now. Soundstage seems a little deeper as well. Best of all, it feels a little more "involving" than before - this one I can't quantify or explain, it just seems more fluid and musical. Good stuff, but hard to tell since I'm expecting it to sound better and that is likely clouding my judgment at the moment.

Personally, it it sounds better, it sounds better. Then again, my system is at the point where more often than not, it sounds worse or simply different.

So, this is probably a dumb thing to do as it's tough to judge most changes after 10-12 songs but, to me, I2S in my setup, even using WASAPI and full GUI mode on S12R2, is a step up over a tricked out USB chain (Regen, PPA V2 card, HDPlex powering both). It's as if someone focused the lens on a camera just a *touch* more with I2S vs USB. Vocals are crisper, they separate more from the rest of the music I guess, same with bass guitars on rock/metal, they're more tangible now. Soundstage seems a little deeper as well. Best of all, it feels a little more "involving" than before - this one I can't quantify or explain, it just seems more fluid and musical. Good stuff, but hard to tell since I'm expecting it to sound better and that is likely clouding my judgment at the moment.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Personally, it it sounds better, it sounds better. Then again, my system is at the point where more often than not, it sounds worse or simply different.

True, but I am certainly guilty of expectation bias, but have consistently been able to find "differences" before and after tweaks and those differences may not have always been better.

With that said - I just installed the PF Kernel Streaming driver which Jord sent me earlier today. I'm back to Core mode with KS and am absolutely loving it. WASAPI was definitely better to my ears than ASIO4ALL, which I tried after the quoted post, ASIO4ALL just never sounded right. WASAPI was good but provided some grain that wasn't there before. Still, microdetail and imaging were improved, as was the ever-prescient "blacker background" but I attribute that to using an LPSU as much as anything. But with KS, I get razor sharp, but very colorful, involving sound. No artifacts, even tiny ones, just music. Well done PF!

Great news about KS driver.

I also interest in PF card if it works with KS. Seem like someone said they will sell the card directly for €227.27 excluding shipping. So where can place an order ? or should email to them ?

At €227.27 + shipping and works with KS. I think I will give it a try.

I actually got mine through PF's shop on eBay, they also have a web address, home. I purchased from eBay as it was advertised as having a compatible cable to adapt the "stock" HDMI output to my Aqua's RJ45 input. Talking with Jord via email, he offered to just put the RJ45 right on the board to simplify things. Fantastic company and service. Can't wait to see what else they come out with (OCXO i2S bridge...?) Pure speculation on my part, but I'd probably buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the card.

After listen it for 2 days. I would say it not bad at all. Well, actually I heard the sound that I never notice them before.

Unfortunately the best setting that work with jplay just 85Hz for 96/24 and 44.1/16 , 170Hz for 44.1/16. ( Tanly DDC can up to 700Hz for DSD,96/24,44.1/16 )

If you have clean power for PC and have hdmi i2s dac. It worth a try.

FYI my DDC is Tanly and the dac is W4S Dac2 DSDse.

Well, I think. I'm gonna keep both (jplay usb card and PF).

Got the card.

After listen it for 2 days. I would say it not bad at all. Well, actually I heard the sound that I never notice them before.

Unfortunately the best setting that work with jplay just 85Hz for 96/24 and 44.1/16 , 170Hz for 44.1/16. ( Tanly DDC can up to 700Hz for DSD,96/24,44.1/16 )

If you have clean power for PC and have hdmi i2s dac. It worth a try.

FYI my DDC is Tanly and the dac is W4S Dac2 DSDse.

Well, I think. I'm gonna keep both (jplay usb card and PF).

This is one of the comparisons I've been really waiting for for a long time. And you and I have very similar digital front ends.

I understand you might need a little time to compare, but I'd love to hear how the Pink Faun Bridge sounds vs. the I2s out on the Tanly DDC. And if you could get that new KS driver from Jord at PF it'd be even more meaningful. Thanks in advance, Rurika.

For a small reference of what I love in my music/gear, I listen to a lot of EDM and alternative, then a bit of everything else. I favour soundstage, 3D'ness, prat, and bass impact.

True, but I am certainly guilty of expectation bias, but have consistently been able to find "differences" before and after tweaks and those differences may not have always been better.

With that said - I just installed the PF Kernel Streaming driver which Jord sent me earlier today. I'm back to Core mode with KS and am absolutely loving it. WASAPI was definitely better to my ears than ASIO4ALL, which I tried after the quoted post, ASIO4ALL just never sounded right. WASAPI was good but provided some grain that wasn't there before. Still, microdetail and imaging were improved, as was the ever-prescient "blacker background" but I attribute that to using an LPSU as much as anything. But with KS, I get razor sharp, but very colorful, involving sound. No artifacts, even tiny ones, just music. Well done PF!

So this KS driver, it's new and just in development, or is it stable? Did Jord say anything about that? I wonder since he talked about a native I2s Bridge card driver from possibly Thesycon, but that was many months ago and I haven't heard any updates. Anything you can say is much appreciated.

Either way, I'm very happy to hear it's doing great for you and with it maybe I will soon too be joining the Pink Faun owners club.