IGNORED

Looking For The Best UPnP for iPad (Similar to Bubble UPnP for Android)

Hi Guys,

1st post and longtime lurker. This is a FANTASTIC site and I appreciate all of the expertise.

For one of my systems, I want to use Tidal w/o a HTPC. To accomplish this, I am demoing the new Bel Canto REF Stream asynchronous ethernet renderer (see REFStream - e.One by Bel Canto ). For the record, it sounds gorgeous and it is a keeper. The reclocking added sonic value. The bonus is it streams with ease. I diverge.... Anyways, Bel Canto recommended I get the licensed version of Bubble UPnP for the Android. I bought a cheap Asus Android and it was a piece of cake to set-up. I am finally thoroughly delighted with the SQ of Tidal steaming and easy of use.

My question is, what sort of UPnP programs are people using with the iPad/iOS? I prefer to stick with one tablet platform.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Steve

My personal solution for UPnP control on iOS is to install BubbleUPnP Server (this is more a UPnP/OpenHome "helper" than a UPnP Server) somewhere on your network - usually on the NAS or computer running your UPnP Server. You can then use any of the OpenHome compatible control points such as Linn Kazoo or Lumin App.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My personal solution for UPnP control on iOS is to install BubbleUPnP Server (this is more a UPnP/OpenHome "helper" than a UPnP Server) somewhere on your network - usually on the NAS or computer running your UPnP Server. You can then use any of the OpenHome compatible control points such as Linn Kazoo or Lumin App.

I tried both Linn Kazoo and Lumin App with no luck. After successfully loading Bubbleupnp Server and running it on a Synology NAS, neither of these app work on my iPad. Perhaps you can point me to instructions that get me past these problems:

Linn Kazoo never gets past the "Searching for Room". it never sees the server (NAS).

Lumin App sees the server, loads the music library, but then I get "looking for lumin", which I do not have. It doesn't appear to have an option for running with anything but lumin gear.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I tried both Linn Kazoo and Lumin App with no luck. After successfully loading Bubbleupnp Server and running it on a Synology NAS, neither of these app work on my iPad. Perhaps you can point me to instructions that get me past these problems:

Linn Kazoo never gets past the "Searching for Room". it never sees the server (NAS).

Lumin App sees the server, loads the music library, but then I get "looking for lumin", which I do not have. It doesn't appear to have an option for running with anything but lumin gear.

I assume you are running BubbleServer cuz your un-named renderer is UPnP, not OH. Just running BubbleServer is not enough for these OpenHome clients. They need to see an OpenHome renderer, so you need to go to BubbleServer's renderer setup tab (you'll find the Bubble website setup in the URL link in Bubble's Package Center screen on Synology) and "create" an OpenHome renderer out of yours (it copies it and gives it an OH suffix in most cases). Create a unique name for the "room".

Rendu openhome setup.jpg

Thank you Ted b.

That was my missing step. Both apps are working, both with my music library and with Tidal.

Glad you got it sorted...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

• 7 months later...
Once again, Ted provides an absolutely key piece of information that solves a problem I struggled with for hours yesterday!

Sounds like my issue yesterday with my AirPort Extreme... I thought it was as dead. It's power wasn't plugged in.

Eloise

---