IGNORED

iDSD Pro

4est

Alright, someone had to start this thread. It would appear as many (or at least myself) await the iDSD Pro with great anticipation. Are there any updates?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi,

For RMAF, the Pro iCAN will makes its debut there. For launch in early October.

The Pro iDSD is still going through some major work (more on features+software coding than anything else). It is expected late November.

Once we have more details to divulge we shall. We prefer to only announce publicly once it is 'soup' as this is the flagship series of the iFi range and we plan to take our time with it to make it as jaw droppingly good as possible.

In the meanwhile, some shots of what we have given out.

Pro iCAN

The Stax Energiser model is not included.

iCAN Ver0.377.jpg

Pro iDSD

iDSD Ver0.375.jpg

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

I will be following this thread with great anticipation as the pro dac is the only candidate left in it's price range that might lure me to part with my mytek192 dac* which even being a four year model seems to hold up to the competition it accidentally ignited when It came into the market. What I am hoping for is the breathtaking dynamics soundstage and transparency of the mytek combined with heartwarming tonality (not too much but surely more than the warmer side of neutral of the mytek when set as such)

If It does that It will have won a place on my system and certainly will be a mindblowingly competitive proposition in this very demanding price point.

Another thing I am hoping for since we are talking about a pro grade product is a feature rich (clock input-output as many digital inputs as possible xlr analogue outputs) and robust quality rear plate with neutrik connectors ike the Mytek which seems Bulletproof in this regard.

Finally and most importantly I wish when It comes out to the market It is still priced competitively which means noticeably below 2k Eur.

I already own the IDSD micro as a second dac for my studio and portable and my experience with It makes me hope It might all come true.

I Just wish I am not hoping for too much but for sure I will be of the first to try It out on my system once It arrives on my local distributor. Hopes are high but time will tell.

*I have allready tried M2Tech DSD Young and was not all that impressed as well as The infamous Chord Hugo with which I was surprised to realize that the Mytek was incredibly similar sounding (a little warmer when set as such) and slightly better on some aspects. All other candidates at my disposal are either too expensive or lack in features.

Will the Pro iDSD (DAC) have a remote control?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

[h=1]Helicarrier 1 - request permission for take-off[/h]

Copy helicarrier 1, permission granted...

LL

and

LL

See you at the Canjam. wink_face.gif

(pls excuse the rough pics - but they are taxiing on the runway for Denver)

Helicarrier 2 is still in the hangar - it won't be at RMAF. Crew chief Thorsten and his team are working round the clock - the only thing that has remained the same is the name. All else has been radically changed.

[h=1]It's Friday so here you go....[/h]

Unfortunately, we cant upload a pdf to here but we will upload it to website soon.

The GE5670 is so good that it has become a standalone product for 6922 customers. The 'NOS 6922' valve/tube set will go live in the next few days.

WARNING: despite the same 9-pin setup, because the pin outs are different, it is not a 'straight swap.' One needs special adapters which AMR/iFi developed:

Cheers.

[h=1]'Skin' says it is okay to show the Rear Panel[/h]

As this is very close to the production version, we are chuffed to divulge the rear panel.

LL

[h=4]Rear Panel (Left to Right)[/h]

Left (1): 4 x Inputs (1 x Balanced/XLR and 3 x RCAs)

Middle (2): 1 x Outputs (Balanced & RCA)

Right (3) lower: switch for 3.5mm and 6.3mm jack balanced/Single-Ended

Right (4) upper: 15v DC in (actually 9v to 18v DC) and DC loop through

Connector for Electrostatic module jecklinsmile.gif

Yes, the Pro iCAN is a full line-stageregular_smile%20.gif

Helicarrier 2 is still in the hangar - it won't be at RMAF. Crew chief Thorsten and his team are working round the clock - the only thing that has remained the same is the name. All else has been radically changed.

That's good news ifi!! I Just hope the one thing that has not been radically changed Is the price..

I assume this is the iCan? I would love more information about the upcoming iDSD Pro.

[h=1]'Skin' says it is okay to show the Rear Panel[/h]

As this is very close to the production version, we are chuffed to divulge the rear panel.

LL

[h=4]Rear Panel (Left to Right)[/h]

Left (1): 4 x Inputs (1 x Balanced/XLR and 3 x RCAs)

Middle (2): 1 x Outputs (Balanced & RCA)

Right (3) lower: switch for 3.5mm and 6.3mm jack balanced/Single-Ended

Right (4) upper: 15v DC in (actually 9v to 18v DC) and DC loop through

Connector for Electrostatic module jecklinsmile.gif

Yes, the Pro iCAN is a full line-stageregular_smile%20.gif

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I assume this is the iCan? I would love more information about the upcoming iDSD Pro.

+2

After all, this is the DSD pro thread . . . right?

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Mac Mini (w/Audirvana; MMK; JS2; ext SSD); AQJB; Curious USB; Regen; Curious (20cm); Yggdrasil; anti-cable 6.2 ic; Cary SLI-80 Sig (NOS tubes); diy VHaudio airlock sp; Merlin VSM's (sadly, last iteration); Cardas Clear & VHaudio Flav 4 pwr cords; Tripp Lite iso trans; diy power box; Syn Res ART; diy Shakti Hallograph (4); Bybee room neutralizers & signal enhancers; Furutech GTX outlets; Stillpoints Ultra SS & mini

Hi,

Yes but they both share similar platforms like the interchangeable tube/solid-state stages. But yes, we can update on another thread.

May I ask besides USB OTG (which I imagine the idsd pro will support) will there also be APTX Bluetooth and MQA support ? I mean I know that the first is very handy (not the best for quality though) but the second one would also be very useful ..If It ever takes off.. Tidal may support It..

Finally have you maintained the use of the quad BB chip's in the new design or have you moved to something different ..more pro like the ESS or AKM sort ?..

The main reason that made me sell my Mytek 192 to fund a new dac is future proofness besides hope for something even better. The performance of the idsd micro (I already own) for It's price gives me substantial reason to hope for something really special that will balance between pro and hifi qualities evenly and blow me away like my previous dac did three years ago...

Thanx

May I ask besides USB OTG (which I imagine the idsd pro will support) will there also be APTX Bluetooth and MQA support ? I mean I know that the first is very handy (not the best for quality though) but the second one would also be very useful ..If It ever takes off.. Tidal may support It..

Finally have you maintained the use of the quad BB chip's in the new design or have you moved to something different ..more pro like the ESS or AKM sort ?..

The main reason that made me sell my Mytek 192 to fund a new dac is future proofness besides hope for something even better. The performance of the idsd micro (I already own) for It's price gives me substantial reason to hope for something really special that will balance between pro and hifi qualities evenly and blow me away like my previous dac did three years ago...

Thanx

Hi,

Quad Burr-Brown remains as that is a cornerstone our the uniqueness of iFi DACs from the nano iDSD through to the Retro Stereo 50. ESS, we had that in the iDAC and while we felt we pushed it to the limit, there were some things that one cannot just overcome.

MQA, we cant comment on another manufacturer's product. But it wont be in the iFi range for the foreseeable future. What we can say is that it makes most sense at the upstream player software rather than the downstream DAC stage.

Wireless play, we prefer not to say anything unless/until it becomes soup as a lot is up in the air.

Thanks

Hi,

Quad Burr-Brown remains as that is a cornerstone our the uniqueness of iFi DACs from the nano iDSD through to the Retro Stereo 50. ESS, we had that in the iDAC and while we felt we pushed it to the limit, there were some things that one cannot just overcome.

MQA, we cant comment on another manufacturer's product. But it wont be in the iFi range for the foreseeable future. What we can say is that it makes most sense at the upstream player software rather than the downstream DAC stage.

Wireless play, we prefer not to say anything unless/until it becomes soup as a lot is up in the air.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers. i asked about MQA because meridian try to promote It as the new streaming thing (It's future still remains questionable though) for all manufacturers to implement as they claim that It is not all that difficult to do since a firmware update is enough (if there is hardware compatibility of course).

I considered the question relevant because Meridian say or at least try to MAKE it appear so that It is a dac thing not a software thing. of course though promising as a streaming format It will require implementation by the device manufacturers and of course and most importantly support of the record companies and even meridian have only one cheap dac that supports it and the record companies still seem indecisive about what to do..

Still though... another manufacturer whom i have trusted for the last three years let it be understood (in a private correspondence) that they will have MQA in a new product that will be available untill 2016 in the same price range as the pro... Of course Mqa by It self is not a seller by any means but It is a feature, unimportant for the time being i admit.. that the idsd pro will miss at least at it's launch..

My thought is that MQA may be useless for now.. But there is a change in the next year or two it might become far more useful than 11mhz DSD will ever be, so the ability-compatibility of the pro dac to implement It in a future firmware update if the need ever occurs would be a nice thing to know..

Still though... another manufacturer whom i have trusted for the last three years let it be understood (in a private correspondence) that they will have MQA in a new product that will be available untill 2016 in the same price range as the pro... Of course Mqa by It self is not a seller by any means but It is a feature, unimportant for the time being i admit.. that the idsd pro will miss at least at it's launch..

I guess I don't have to play hide and seek anymore.. Mytek Digital | Passion Built Converters and Studio Solutions now after teac UD-503 | TEAC Myter have just hopped in the new generation 1,5/2k dac train.. It's about time for you to do so as well in order to secure a good seat on the market...

Thanx

Hi,

We are working in this direction and once it is soup, more will be revealed. But until then, we prefer not to confirm or deny anything. As we dont want to promise something we cant deliver on.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I Have another question. Will the iDSD pro be rated as a 130db cabable dac in dynamic range? I am asking because I really like dynamic sound especially in Classical Music and Electronica and It's one of the few things that I miss now with my I dsd micro* which though perfect for It's price and extremely musical and entertaining is a little laid back fo my tastes and this Element (dynamic character) will play a key role in my next dac choice (Yes I haven't made up my mind yet).

*In comparison with the Mytek I have sold in this regard not that the Idsd micro Is boing or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

My thought is that MQA may be useless for now.. But there is a change in the next year or two it might become far more useful than 11mhz DSD will ever be, so the ability-compatibility of the pro dac to implement It in a future firmware update if the need ever occurs would be a nice thing to know..

MQA today doesn't sound as good as DSD 64 - much less DSD 256.

But for CD and MP3 level streaming services, it does have some file size reduction to offer.

I don't think the value point of this technology is to be the ultimate format in qualty which quality may vary since many resolutions from 44.1/24 to 384/32 can be compressed into It. Comparing Mqa with a certain resolution digital format is not a straightfoward or valid comparison at least in my opinion.

Anyway It's quality If it is better than of redbook, which I think It will, is the point combined with the ease to stream and sell It since It is something specific that the average consumer can Identify easily and not a myriad of formats and resolutions which keep most of the public uninterested since people just don't understand what they are and don't really care.

Everybody understood what cd was and because It made a huge difference in the average home system, It was easily regodnizable and even a fool could use It without alot of effort. That is I think what MQA is all about and not to prove It is the best of all among a babel of digital formats.

Of course It remains to be seen wether all of this will work and have any impact in the industry. I guess 2016 will have some progress to show. If not I will too start suspecting that It might be a failure..

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the Local Hi End Show Today.

Some very sympathetic and talkative guys form Ifi were there explaining me the company's philosophy the products etc.

I had a short Listen to the iCan pro accompanied by an AMR 777 Dac combined with an Aurender streamer, with Audeze Headphones and was very Impressed by It's performance through the Jfet output stage (I guess I am not much of a tube guy).

Seeing It up close It is actually smaller than I expected, a bit smaller than a 2013 mac mini but looks and feels very solid, lush and well built.

It was rather warm in operation but not hot to the touch and It is a paradise in features as a headphone amp having all kinds of outputs and tweaks to be adjusted to various headphones and hobbyist audio tastes.

The guys who wait for the dac won't be very happy to know I was told that It is expected around March while the Headphone Amp in Late December. I was told that they are now developing the implementation of a new technology in the forthcoming dac the which is not MQA but They wouldn't reveal more.

As for MQA they said that they'll wait to see If It catches on first and then implement It on their devices something they said can be done as they wouldn't like to pay rights which will translate in charging the customer for more before being sure of It's success. I can't blame them thinking of the rather slow developments in this regard.

Please forgive The Amateur quality photos I took..

PB281623.JPG

PB281622.JPG

PB281621.jpg