IGNORED

Welcome to the UpTone Audio adventure!

UpTone Logo 72dpi 8 inch.jpg

Greetings fellow music lovers, audiophiles, and computer audio geeks:

My name is Alex Crespi, though am known as Superdad here and on the few other audio forums that I check in with. I joined ComputerAudiophile.com a few months after its founding, and having engaged with so many smart, thoughtful, and like-minded people here, I've made CA my "home base."

While UpTone Audio LLC is not my first audio venture (I was co-founder of the once famous Hovland Company), it is my first entirely on my own. Well not entirely, as I have the very good fortune to be closely associated with my dear friend, the brilliant engineer/scientist John Swenson.

[You can read a short biography on John's background at the end of Part 1 of the Q&A series about digital audio on AudioStream.com (By the way, Part 2 of that same series gives terrific insight into the thorny digital issues that lead to the development of the USB REGEN—highly recommended reading!)

Over the years John has shared a great wealth of technical knowledge with the audiophile and DIY communities via many clear and detailed posts here on CA, on AudioAsylum.com, and on diyAudio.com. His user names are always the same as his real name, so his writings should be easy to find.]

UpTone Audio exists to combine the fruits of John Swenson's inspired and groundbreaking circuit concepts with my sense of desired features, functions, and form. He does the engineering, I produce and market the products. Take a look at my website, the very active threads on this and other forums about our products, and at the terrific formal reviews beginning to be published, and it is easy to see that we are doing some things right. It is all very gratifying and we are having a blast!

I am extremely committed to providing outstanding service to our customers, and people say we achieve that. Yet with our success comes the challenges of keeping up not only with the logistics of the business, but with the flood of e-mail and web forum questions. To-date a great many CA members owning UpTone components have generously stepped into the public forum threads to answer questions for new and prospective UpTone purchasers. Although this is now our own "sponsored" sub-forum, it is my hope that you mavens will continue to help out. I would very much appreciate it.

John and I look forward to reading and responding to your questions, ideas, and concerns. He is very busy with both his day job as senior engineer a at a big computer chip design firm and with audio engineering at night, so it is best not to bombard him with private messages.

If you wish to contact me privately, please do so via my web site contact form rather than through the CA messaging system, as private messages via CA get lumped into one in my e-mail box and often get overlooked.

Thank you to Chris Connaker for launching this forum area for brand-specific discussions. And a really BIG THANK YOU to all ComputerAudiophile visitors--members or not--who have contributed their enthusiasm, knowledge, and support to make UpTone Audio products a success. Your encouragement (and your purchases) inspire and make possible an exciting series of future products--which will no doubt be hinted at, discussed, and revealed, right here in this new forum!

Away we go…

Sincerely,

Alex J. Crespi

P.S. For those who have not seen the final results of Michael Lavorgna's round-up of USB devices , here is my favorite quote from the article:

If I Just Want To Buy One, Which One Should I Buy?

"In my systems and to my ears, the UpTone Audio REGEN is the device to buy. The improvements offered were greater than the JitterBug and the Wyrd. I found that the REGEN added weight, clarity, and ease to the presentation to a greater degree than the others. For me, this is simply the way it is. No ifs, ands or buts." Michael Lavorgna, Editor, AudioStream.com

Welcome! :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Great intro post!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Great intro post!

+1

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Well, I can happily say that I was one of those well served customers in the UpTone Audio after sales service program. A fault that was neither mine nor UpTone's was quickly corrected by Alex and resulted in me being a happy Regen owner.

I'm happy to see this UpTone specific forum and look forward to everything coming down the pipeline and the new idea and info that is users find.

Good luck, guys

Thanks everyone!

I'll decide over the weekend which threads to move over. Might even bring over a couple of those long old report threads I started on Firewire drive interface comparisons, the whole Mac mini SD card thing, and my Mac-to-Mac Ethernet trick. Lots of newer people here might enjoy those, but they are buried in time presently.

It is funny, as moderator of my own forum space, all sorts of god-like power tools now appear on my screen when I am here. Don't worry, I am a benevolent overlord! ;) ;)

• 8 months later...
Hi Alex,

i tried logging on to your website but my connection kept timing out. What is the size of the barrel connector on the JS-2?

The JS-2s DC output jacks are 5.5mm x 2.5mm, center positive, barrel-type.

FYI, there are a couple of spots still open in the batch of 15 we are building right now for May 6th shipment. Contact me via PM or with the web site contact page to make a reservation.

Thanks,

--Alex C.