IGNORED

King Crimson available for DL?

One of my all time favorite bands.

I've searched quite a few sites for any lossless and/or Hi-Res downloads of King Crimson, pay or otherwise.

Most search hits sent me to virus filled sites, obviously having no content "that I was looking for". :)

Are any of the albums available for download?

If you want good quality, you basically have to by CDs or buy the CD remasters and DVD hi-res remasters. Available from amazon and other places:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/ is a semi-official outlet.

There's also King Crimson which has some downloads, but of the type for real afficianados.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks.

So, as far as you know the answer to my question is no.

I came across all the sites you talk about but I have most of the collection on CD or DVD.

Just looking to see if downloads are available and I just missed them during my search.

Thanks.

So, as far as you know the answer to my question is no.

I came across all the sites you talk about but I have most of the collection on CD or DVD.

Just looking to see if downloads are available and I just missed them during my search.

just to be sure, firedogs point is that the remasters also include bonus discs with real hi-res content. You probably realized that, but just in case...........

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Thanks krass.

I did not read the response that clearly so I did miss it.

Once I saw "by CDs or buy the CD remasters and DVD" I went blank. :)

I would still prefer not to purchase any discs or pay shipping as I have my entire CD library ripped now and they are just gathering dust. Even as backups they are somewhat useless as I have everything that's ripped backed up digitally.

But to get what I am looking for that web site is a good option. And may be the only option for KC.

I've bugged KC about this for years for the US but nada. Especially since some really sweet 24/96 available for all the remasters and 24/192 for some of the live concerts included in the big box sets like Road to Red.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

If you want good quality, you basically have to by CDs or buy the CD remasters and DVD hi-res remasters. Available from amazon and other places:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/ is a semi-official outlet.

There's also King Crimson which has some downloads, but of the type for real afficianados.

There's some Burning Shed stuff I'm interested in, possibly including the King Crimson.

For anyone who's interested, I have ordered from them, and they're on the up-and-up.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There's some Burning Shed stuff I'm interested in, possibly including the King Crimson.

For anyone who's interested, I have ordered from them, and they're on the up-and-up.

Burning Shed are great. They can generally get my KC stuff to me faster and cheaper that purchasing here in the US (DGM, Amazon etc). In fact, I just pre-ordered the THRAK box from them.

Understandable, since we are talking 1959, but it's sad that there is little to nothing available from the early period when the band was touring, and playing music, live, from In The Court of the Crimson King and In the wake of Poseidon. That original lineup was incredible. Granted, Fripp has always found brilliant musicians to add to the various incarnations of the band, but the first two releases were matchless.

JC

Understandable, since we are talking 1959, but it's sad that there is little to nothing available from the early period when the band was touring, and playing music, live, from In The Court of the Crimson King and In the wake of Poseidon. That original lineup was incredible. Granted, Fripp has always found brilliant musicians to add to the various incarnations of the band, but the first two releases were matchless.

JC

I think you meant 1969...

Are you speaking in terms of digital availability or just in general that there were few recordings made?

I don't know the story or pretend that I know the reasons but it appears that Fripp is one of the non-digital embracing artists.

Could be just for IP control, could be for quality control, could be for $$ control, could be something entirely different.

Whatever, it's his choice to make no matter how disappointed I may be :)

I think you meant 1969...

Are you speaking in terms of digital availability or just in general that there were few recordings made?

I don't know the story or pretend that I know the reasons but it appears that Fripp is one of the non-digital embracing artists.

Could be just for IP control, could be for quality control, could be for $$ control, could be something entirely different.

Whatever, it's his choice to make no matter how disappointed I may be :)

Oops, yes, 1969, of course. There seem to both almost no recording made in that period, and available via non digital means, or digital.

JC

One of my all time favorite bands.

I've searched quite a few sites for any lossless and/or Hi-Res downloads of King Crimson, pay or otherwise.

Most search hits sent me to virus filled sites, obviously having no content "that I was looking for". :)

Are any of the albums available for download?

dgmlive.com sells lossless live recordings (not high res though).

Live is the "Hot date" for KC, and there is plenty to choose from in excellent quality.

As a huge fan of the band, I am happy to buy the deluxe boxes with high res on Blu Ray and DVD - A.

• 3 years later...
On 8/18/2015 at 6:20 AM, TubeLover said:

Oops, yes, 1969, of course. There seem to both almost no recording made in that period, and available via non digital means, or digital.

JC,
just by chance I was doing research on that subject and found the Epitaph Recordings reissues in 2018
https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-Epitaph-Volumes-One-Two/release/12616250
Dunno if you were aware of these?
Cheers, Tom

29 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

JC,
just by chance I was doing research on that subject and found the Epitaph Recordings reissues in 2018
https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-Epitaph-Volumes-One-Two/release/12616250
Dunno if you were aware of these?
Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom, I appreciate you pointing that out. I've  have, however, owned that set for many years in the form of the original "collectors item" cd boxed set. To my knowledge, even as limited as it's scope, it is the only documented performances from the original incarnation of the band. 

JC

I also meant to note that the 2018 reissues are well worth the purchase for a serious early Crimson fan. Just for the live pieces. 

I just noted this new release, which I wish they had reissued at least the 69-72 set on cd or, even better high res, but that was apparently too much to hope for. And honestly, even if the original master tapes survived from 1969, not sure how much higher res could be gleaned from them. I own all the 40th anniversary versions already, but a nice book and full size lp covers like this provides would be really nice to own. 

King Crimson

JC

• 3 weeks later...

Love, love, love KC.  The classic albums are available with great re-mixes by Stephen Wilson on DVD-A, these are easy to rip.  King Crimson likes to maintain control over their catalog so DL releases happen less, but the new live album (Meltdown) is available for DL at HDTracks and is one of the better quality live rock releases I have heard (and I saw the concert in Denver in a superb sounding theater with perfect seats).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

In the last few years they’ve regularly released live albums of their concerts. The new lineup is excellent and they play the classics. I’ve downloaded 5 of these live albums from the hi-res download sites. There are at least 2 more of these live albums available for download, including the aforementioned “Meltdown”.

Tidal has about 8 live albums plus “Larks’ Tongues” available for streaming.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 1 month later...

At least as much on Qobuz (US Beta), if not more. 

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

On 12/28/2018 at 2:27 PM, firedog said:

In the last few years they’ve regularly released live albums of their concerts. The new lineup is excellent and they play the classics. I’ve downloaded 5 of these live albums from the hi-res download sites. There are at least 2 more of these live albums available for download, including the aforementioned “Meltdown”.

Tidal has about 8 live albums plus “Larks’ Tongues” available for streaming.

Agreed on the new lineup being excellent. Just superb musicians, which Mr Fripp always insists on. I've had the good fortune to see them live twice in the last two years. My only issue is that when the play the "classics", they have no vocalist that can possibly equal Greg Lake, or, John Wetton. 

JC

Yes, also agreed the, King Crimson "big band" is superb.  The only thing I miss with this lineup is the improvising, it is clear they are more focused on playing the songs, and I understand that collective improvisation would be really difficult with so many players.  Of course there is still the improvisation within the pieces, but I am referring to wholly improvised pieces, the sense of possibility is so interesting to me when they launch into completely uncharted territories.

Got my tickets for the September concert in Denver.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Okay, as much as I respect Robert Fripp, and loved the early incarnations of King Crimson since they began, what I just came across is  absurd. Mr. Fripp is finally opening up the vaults for their 50th anniversary and the prices for high def downloads are ridiculous. Take for example this two song offering featured on HD Tracks. A total of 7 minutes of music for a mere $13.00! 

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/744628?&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=New_Releases&trk_msg=4M1O5507E02KLC7PE2G2RLGJVK&trk_contact=74RVARJG0VFPEC06BH96RMC3R4&trk_sid=TU7A3QS5JO50T7CHE5FG6Q6V08

Of course, for the single track of 21st Century Schizoid Man, it's only $6.00! 

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/744622?&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=New_Releases&trk_msg=4M1O5507E02KLC7PE2G2RLGJVK&trk_contact=74RVARJG0VFPEC06BH96RMC3R4&trk_sid=TU7A3QS5JO50T7CHE5FG6Q6V08

JC

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Okay, as much as I respect Robert Fripp, and loved the early incarnations of King Crimson since they began, what I just came across is  absurd. Mr. Fripp is finally opening up the vaults for their 50th anniversary and the prices for high def downloads are ridiculous. Take for example this two song offering featured on HD Tracks. A total of 7 minutes of music for a mere $13.00! 

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/744628?&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=New_Releases&trk_msg=4M1O5507E02KLC7PE2G2RLGJVK&trk_contact=74RVARJG0VFPEC06BH96RMC3R4&trk_sid=TU7A3QS5JO50T7CHE5FG6Q6V08

Of course, for the single track of 21st Century Schizoid Man, it's only $6.00! 

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/744622?&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=New_Releases&trk_msg=4M1O5507E02KLC7PE2G2RLGJVK&trk_contact=74RVARJG0VFPEC06BH96RMC3R4&trk_sid=TU7A3QS5JO50T7CHE5FG6Q6V08

JC

Well, I guess it won't sell and maybe he will learn a lesson.

It's a good reason to have a streaming account - just listened to the first 5 releases on Qobuz. BTW, with Qobuz sublime, the downloads are more reasonably priced. There is apparently going to be one song released each week. So far, nothing special IMO.

10 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Correction, that only 4:38 worth of music for $13. The other 2:26 is commentary!

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 10.27.30 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png