IGNORED

Dac via usb on mac (No Sound)

Hi,

I have the Schiit Modi2 & magni2 used them already on my office on Imac and they work after lots of trying on the Output menu under system preferences ( dont know exactly what make them work )

Now bring the Modi Magni home to use them with macbook pro but i cant have them work again

The computer will recognise them but cant hear any sound

Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 6.37.51 AM.png

Any thoughts...

Thanks,

wmozarta .. your screen shot shows that you selected the correct device but for "alerts and sound effects" and not for "sound output". I'm accustomed to using Audio Midi but perhaps an even easier way to select your device is to hold down the option key, click on the sound menu icon, and make your selection:

audio device 1.png

I chose my Chord DAC. Now Audio Midi now looks like this:

audio midi 2.png

Note the sound icon is next to the Chord DAC.

Always good to start with the easy stuff and it seems you can rule out device selection as the issue. Have you contacted Schiit yet? They are pretty responsive if you haven't. I have a Bifrost Uber and have contacted them a couple of times in the past. What player are you using? iTunes?

Yes sent them email already and this is there reply:

Make sure that the Modi 2 is not muted, you can use Audio MIDI Setup to set the Modi 2 as the default output device and check to make sure that the output is not muted. Also try restarting the MacBook Pro and using a powered USB 2.0 hub with the Modi 2.

For the Player dont really have any specific one but its not related i guess cause even the system sounds are not there.

Hi,

Even so I think it should be showing blue which would indicate full volume out and external control wouldn't it?

No, not necessarily. Here's my Chord DAC:

midi .png

wmozarta .. sorry man, I'm at a loss. Assuming your Mac has proper sound when nothing is attached, maybe it would helpful if we knew more about your system. What more (software, speakers, anything) can you tell us? This we know:

MacBook Pro

Yosemite

Modi2

Mani2

Hi Melvin,

yes sure

modi 2, magni 2 connected to a headphone

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) Yosemite 10.10.4

the internal speakers for the macbook are working fine

Will try to bring them at office again maybe they love that computer :D

Just to be sure every thing is fine

I had a problem with a 2012 Mac Mini recognizing my DAC due to the USB 3.0 port on the Mini. Yes, I know that USB 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible but in my case, it was not. From my understanding, the problem was with my XMOS USB board in the DAC.

The solution was to use a USB 2.0 hub between the Mini & DAC. You can test this almost any cheap USB 2.0 hub. It didn't seem to matter if the hub was self-powered or power by the Mini.

Hi,

Tried today PRAM and SMC reset but still it didn't work

here is the last reply from Schiit audio after i told them it works fine on win7 PC but it didnt in macbook and mac mini.

(It sounds like it may be a hardware specific issue. Unfortunately with issues like that we have little we can offer to help solve the issue. Be sure that everything is up to date software and driver wise for starters, including BIOS.)