IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

So you set the timer resolution within JPlay to minimum. And this solved your "glimmer issue" in Windows 10 in JPLAY? Basically the default of Windows 10 is the minimum setting. I'm not sure this is my issue. I'll have to inquire over at JRiver about their settings within JRiver.

Yes, and yes you're right its different to yours, I have the "glimmer" at the default jplay settings of 0.5ms, the glimmer disappears when I change it to 15.6ms so the windows default as it turns out because I actually though the default was 1ms ?

edbk,

I was reported that remote control, although left enabled at 7) of your guide, does not work.

Do you know which services are necessary to be able to use it?

Is the firewall really disabled for all networks? If its enabled you need to add the Remote Desktop App to the allow list.

Is it on a retail or preview insider build

Try:

Set-Service CryptSvc -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service Dhcp -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service iphlpsvc -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service lmhosts -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service SSDPSRV -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service UmRdpService -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service WdiServiceHost -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service WdiSystemHost -StartupType Automatic

reboot

Please report back which of these solved his problem, very much doubt he needs to enable them all but I cant test it here since its working as is on my windows 10 enterprise edition retail.

Is the firewall really disabled for all networks? If its enabled you need to add the Remote Desktop App to the allow list.

Is it on a retail or preview insider build

Try:

Set-Service CryptSvc -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service SSDPSRV -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service WdiServiceHost -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service WdiSystemHost -StartupType Automatic

reboot

Please report back which of these solved his problem, very much doubt he needs to enable them all but I cant test it here since its working as is on my windows 10 enterprise edition retail.

The service to enable for desktop remote is UmRdpService

Therefore:

My friend was using 10240 but did not specify which Windows edition.

Ok interesting, I dont need it on my system. Im working on a collection of scripts, right now I plan to make one large disable script disabling close to everything, and then a set of small scripts to re-enable sub functions like:

-enable rdp

-enable windows audio

-enable windows mediaplayer

-enable nas access

-enable windows update

But unfortunately I have limited time, it's probably 2 weeks away.

I notice every once in awhile in Task Manager a background process called "Runtime Broker" well become active and hog up the CPU, causing the system to heat up and make the fans run hard along with the CPU. This will effect SQ dramatically and is what is causing my glimmer in my sound. I have successfully eliminated this glimmer by bringing "Runtime Broker" under control by disabling it in Registry. This won't eliminate it, but will bring it under control so that it doesn't hog resources, thus cause diminished SQ.

Get instructions here

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Is there a way in Windows 10 that you can boot with different service profiles? For example, i have a laptop i use for many things, including streaming music. For the music streaming i'd want a lot of services disabled, while when i do other things on the laptop, i'd want these services enabled.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Is there a way in Windows 10 that you can boot with different service profiles? For example, i have a laptop i use for many things, including streaming music. For the music streaming i'd want a lot of services disabled, while when i do other things on the laptop, i'd want these services enabled.

No problem, just create dual operating systems on the one drive like I've done on my PC. I'm going to use the one Windows 10 partition for AO once Phil is ready to go.

Since Windows 10 activation is married to a MOBO once upgraded, you can freely do as many partitions as you choose with a fresh operating system install. First do the upgrade then create a Windows 10 usb key and do a clean wipe form a boot, do not format, let Windows 10 do it, but eliminate all partitions into one. Once you have a clean Windows 10 then partition your drive to allow for another installation of Windows 10. On this partition you can go straight to a full clean install with your USB key and it will activate cleanly. On boot up you will be prompted to choose which operating system you want to load.

I would give the one audio partition about a 20 gig partition. That's plenty of space for your optimized Windows 10 partition.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I notice every once in awhile in Task Manager a background process called "Runtime Broker" well become active and hog up the CPU, causing the system to heat up and make the fans run hard along with the CPU. This will effect SQ dramatically and is what is causing my glimmer in my sound. I have successfully eliminated this glimmer by bringing "Runtime Broker" under control by disabling it in Registry. This won't eliminate it, but will bring it under control so that it doesn't hog resources, thus cause diminished SQ.

Get instructions here

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I installed processlasso recently. A very nice addition, I only changed running HQPlayer in realtime from the default settings ( was already setting it to realtime manually before ). It definately improves the sound more then I expected.

I appreciate to hear of endeavors to experiment with other software to better one's system SQ, but I must regress back to what it is we are originally trying to do here. Are we not trying to minimize our use of resources (CPU and Memory) in Windows 10, so as to minimize use of electrical current or cause heating of our MOBO, so as not to introduce any unwanted interferences with our streaming data. Once we have this under control, it all comes down to optimizing timing of our streamed data as you put forth, latency, which is usually controlled within a media players software.

I am using JRiver ASIO, whereas I have set the latency settings to the bare minimum (basically real time) possible with playback or streaming being done from my memory, not my HDD (currently not using an SSD for my video and music files, just my OS). I am finding my playback SQ exceptional to say the least, even my video playback timing and resolution is superb. If I was to make an upgrade from this point I would say it would be on the PC hardware end, power supply first, extra SSD drives for my library second. I will also try out Phil's AO. I am very happy with my the my frontend and do not plan on any changes in this area, including the DAC. The transport, PC is the big area to concentrate on, Go to the Source, lol.

I have tried HQ recently to see what the fuss is about after reading many posts on this playback software. My experience with HQ player is that I find no additional benefit in my system SQ with it's use. In fact, I find it's practicality a step back in that it's library abilities are insufficient compared to JRiver. Also it doesn't do video.

Another issue is that is doesn't do bit perfect playback. It's basically meant to be used for upsampling and filters. Which to be frank, with the Hugo DAC doesn't add any benefit that I could hear.

Also If we go back to the initial premise of trying to optimize out operating system by minimizing use of resources, why would we want to use a media player software that is resource heavy and possible cause additional lower SQ streaming. Of course all this is system dependent on ones DAC. Some may find a benefit streaming 8X DSD to their DAC. Personally I think this is the wrong way to go. We want to minimize our PC use and do bit perfect playback. I don't find a benefit from additional filtering via software thru upsampling.

I'm also cautious of all these additional softwares for aiding playback or the operating system. I would have to think that once one have minimized our operating systems for optimal low usage of resources that one would want to keep playback to minimal needed resources for bit perfect streaming. Thus get out of the way and let the media player do it's thing.

But I shall keep an open mind to these additional softwares and reserve the right to change my mind if I deem sufficient evidence from others experiments that there is an additional benefit to their use. As of now, I am not convinced there is.

ADD: Currently running in Task Manager: 0% CPU 6% Memory during playback JRiver ASIO. Very nice, excellent SQ. I will try AO, but basically I think it will only accomplish what we just did in Windows 10 optimization. I think a better power supply will be a big step up. I'm going to order one of those Teradak ATX's next.

I tried the 14 steps in set-up guide on my audio pc last night.

This was realy an eye opener, as it made a very big difference to the sound.

Before it was somewhat thinn sounding, and lacking bass punch, but not anymore, now its like it "muscled" up, it has warmth and makes listening so much more enjoyable.

Looking forward to trying the script part too.

Thanks a lot to ebdk :-)

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

Under Power Options it is recommended by edbk in his step by step manual to choose in Power Options - High Performance. Just be aware that this will automatically run all cores within your processor, thus run your CPU hotter and draw more current. For those folks, like me, running ASIO, not oversampling on the PC, I recommend not to use this setting, keep the Power Options on Balanced. Your CPU will run much cooler with no diminished SQ. In fact, I find running in High Performance gives me worse SQ, hogging more resources, running hotter, everything working harder. Maybe this won't be as big of an issue when I switch to a higher quality power supply.

Under Power Options it is recommended by edbk in his step by step manual to choose in Power Options - High Performance. Just be aware that this will automatically run all cores within your processor, thus run your CPU hotter and draw more current. For those folks, like me, running ASIO, not oversampling on the PC, I recommend not to use this setting, keep the Power Options on Balanced. Your CPU will run much cooler with no diminished SQ. In fact, I find running in High Performance gives me worse SQ, hogging more resources, running hotter, everything working harder. Maybe this won't be as big of an issue when I switch to a higher quality power supply.

Nice Info, and easy to try, what setting works best in ones system.

I tried disabling runtime broker , but was unable to run BubbleDS and JPlay streamer then, so had to turn it on again.

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

Using the script in the word document, my internet/network access was disabled. May I know which one service I would need to re-enable again. Thanks.

Post #15 or:

I have tried disabling runtime broker, but then the BubbleDS streamer/minimserver/JPlay wil not work in my system.