IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

Truth I posted this a few days back but my post never populated? But agreed same thing just free!

Actually Fidelizer has a free version. The difference being that Fidelizer reverses the changes with each re-boot if you so desire. I find that very desirable as I use my computer for things other than music. When I listen to music I use it when I want to do something else I re-boot. Now to be fair it is impossible to say if both of these scripts are addressing exactly the same services. I am certain there would be a large overlap but they may not be identical.

Its not the same!

This uninstalls apps, features and permanently stops services. It stats active after reboots.

DO NOT use this on insider preview versions. In release candidates system integrated apps/features are protected from deletion. On the insider previews they are not. So running this script may throw away too much on an insider release. On an insider release only the lines in the first 2 posts are safe to use..

Btw there are some advantages on insider previews, like being able to stop defender/anti malware services etc..

I'm using Avast with the released version of windows 10 and it automatically disables defender when it installs. I cannot say Avast is better I am just used to using it over years and naturally went back to it on windows 10.

I'm going to build several do and undo scripts for enabling/disabling certain functionalities. Currently working on one that kills the lasts running processes after you've started your player program, like killing explorer, task scheduler etc. This will be something you'd have to run every time after you have rebooted since it will make the system virtually unusable besides running your musicplayer. But I have several currently more interesting projects i'd like to finish first so it may take a week or so ?

Btw does anybody know how to set the windows timer resolution? Like jplay's clock registry setting and I suspect AO's "filter" settings?

yamamoto2002 did some timer experiments

uses NtSetTimerResolution function

download vs 2015 express and build your own

https://code.google.com/p/bitspersampleconv2/source/browse/trunk/00Experiments/TimerTest2/main.cpp

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you for your efforts!

This is how to disable defender: link

Thanks, but you did that in Windows 10TP. How can I disable Windows 10 Defender in Home Edition?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

No, I did this in RTM version, although not Home Edition. Maybe you can try this?

Thanks, but I found a solution that works for Windows 10 home disable Defender permanently. I did it, works well.

Disable Windows 10 Home Defender

Go to option 2, step 3, download the app to change your registry. Works great and greys out defender from being activated again for good unless you download the app for step 2 to activate again in your registry.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Thanks edbk, implemented all your suggestions, got a nice boost in SQ. More defined bass, volume overall lowered, mids more pronounced. Only issue is a slight glimmer to the highs on certain tracks, I'm thinking the wall wart on the Regen is the culprit, had it before but not as noticeable until I took away some of the grunge disguising it. Can't wait for their new PS to see if it fixes the problem. The Hugo is very sensitive to source.

Well, this rabbit keeps taking me deeper and deeper down the hole, can it go further?

Thanks, but I found a solution that works for Windows 10 home disable Defender permanently. I did it, works well.

Disable Windows 10 Home Defender

Go to option 2, step 3, download the app to change your registry. Works great and greys out defender from being activated again for good unless you download the app for step 2 to activate again in your registry.

I disabled it with gpedit, seems to be only available in pro and above. I also managed to disable all microsoft data collecting and uploading features, it appears this is only available in enterprise and education editions..

Thanks edbk, implemented all your suggestions, got a nice boost in SQ. More defined bass, volume overall lowered, mids more pronounced. Only issue is a slight glimmer to the highs on certain tracks, I'm thinking the wall wart on the Regen is the culprit, had it before but not as noticeable until I took away some of the grunge disguising it. Can't wait for their new PS to see if it fixes the problem. The Hugo is very sensitive to source.

Well, this rabbit keeps taking me deeper and deeper down the hole, can it go further?

Yes I noticed the "glimmer" aswell, its already there in the "stock" version. Its why I asked about setting clock resolution earlier since its gone when I set the timer resolution to 15.6ms with jplay..

Yes I noticed the "glimmer" aswell, its already there in the "stock" version. Its why I asked about setting clock resolution earlier since its gone when I set the timer resolution to 15.6ms with jplay..

Unfortunately I don't use Jplay. I use Jriver for my massive Promo video collection. Yes, would be nice to find a way to set the timer resolution without jplay.

Sorry I do not understand one thing: 15.6ms is the default Windows timer setting, so why to do you need to set it again if you stick to the default value?

I also found this tool, but I do not know if it works in Win X:

Windows System Timer Tool | vvvv

So you set the timer resolution within JPlay to minimum. And this solved your "glimmer issue" in Windows 10 in JPLAY? Basically the default of Windows 10 is the minimum setting. I'm not sure this is my issue. I'll have to inquire over at JRiver about their settings within JRiver.

Sorry I do not understand one thing: 15.6ms is the default Windows timer setting, so why to do you need to set it again if you stick to the default value?

I also found this tool, but I do not know if it works in Win X:

Windows System Timer Tool | vvvv

Acutally he set it in JPLAY for the minimum. Default setting is maximum in JPLAY. Usually the software program adjusts this value as needed within the OP is my understanding.

Still not sure how this effects audio???

Ahhh, OK.

So now could anyone please check if the Windows System Timer Tool I pointed out before works in Windows 10.

I downloaded it but it wanted to download a couple network drivers needed. I bagged on it. I think it would run but honestly I don't know what good it would do. Really you need the change to occur within the players settings. In my case JRiver. I would think you would want the maximum setting at .5ms, as is in JPLAY. Don't know why setting to the minimum would help?? Less resolution so less of a bad source recording glimmering??? This is where it gets tricky, probably some kind of filter would be best to filter out any glowing highs.

Only some of my library is noticeable, the rest is extremely good.

I think it's electrical interference feeding into the high frequencies and causing a glimmer. Solve the electrical issues, solve the glimmer.