IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

I use HDMI.  Couldn't tell the difference with or without or optimization after DIY'ing with the sCLK-EX on the server.  But Windows 10 is like a virus that needs to be brought under control, so using these scripts and a little DIY goes a long way to taming this OS.  

NOTE:  My experience is with an older release of Windows 10, which I never update and keep a key copy around at all times.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

• 2 weeks later...

For the very adventurous ... you can try out Windows 10 Lean Edition.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/windows-10-lean-release-date-download-3460534

You can download it from this site

https://www.windowsblogitalia.com/2018/04/windows-10-lean-build-17650/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 1 month later...

V1.0 beta (64-bit only) of getblackbird is finally available!  The reason it took so long is that the developer got a full time job.

https://www.getblackbird.net/…/BlackbirdV6_v1.0-x64_BETA.zip

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Have you tried it?  I look forward to your report!

I'm going to wait a bit for some initial feedback.  My dual boot config has been giving me some problems lately that I'd like to resolve first.  The new version is a total rewrite which the developer says is far more efficient (fewer lines of code) than his previous effort.  Microsoft has made it a progressively bigger challenge to disable telemetry with each biannual 'feature' update.

One user has reported

I have just now applied the latest build to WIN 10 Version1803 and it works like a charm.  Some bugs here and there but afterwards PC is working flawlessly and all the crap is blocked.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, tedwoods said:

Upon installing blackbird the connection between my HQPlayer server and my NAA was severed.

Unistalling it brought things back to normal.

Have I been doing something wrong? Is there a way to supersede this?

Here are two items from the ReadMe which may be applicable.

Blackbird disables 2 services, SSDP Discovery & UPnP Device Host, which are required to run Network Discovery on your PC. You need to re-enable (set to auto-start) these services before you can turn Network Discovery back on.

Blackbird, by default, applies certain security/privacy tweaks that may interfere with some networks setups.
To fix most networking issues simply start Blackbird and press L at the main menu.

8 hours ago, rickca said:

Here are two items from the ReadMe which may be applicable.

Blackbird disables 2 services, SSDP Discovery & UPnP Device Host, which are required to run Network Discovery on your PC. You need to re-enable (set to auto-start) these services before you can turn Network Discovery back on.

Blackbird, by default, applies certain security/privacy tweaks that may interfere with some networks setups.
To fix most networking issues simply start Blackbird and press L at the main menu.

Thanks @rickca.

I've tried both solutions but no cigar...

I did use the App function though and disabled a bunch of apps.

1 hour ago, tedwoods said:

I've tried both solutions but no cigar

Thanks for reporting this.  Are you using a bridged NIC on your HQPlayer server to connect your NAA machine?  What version of Windows 10 are you running on the HQPlayer machine?  Do you have any error messages that might give us a clue about what's missing?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

I tried to download blackbird today to test it out and it get virus alert with just plain old WIndows Defender.

I think it's a false positive.  I checked the download with Malwarebytes and it's fine.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:55 PM, rickca said:

I think it's a false positive.  I checked the download with Malwarebytes and it's fine.

It was a false positive that a number of AV programs including Avast were wrongly treating as a virus. However, that has since been corrected. There should be no problem downloading it now: VirusTotal check

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 1/13/2018 at 7:29 PM, lmitche said:

Yes, just copy and paste the script into powershell.  I've done this many times with success.

I recently used the script from the last page of the Windows 10 Setup Guide. It works for disabling optional Windows features and disabling most services. However, Windows 10 won't permit you to disable a number of the services listed in the script. I didn't bother removing applications because the version details of apps and app packages have changed since the script was posted in the early pages of this thread years ago. IOW, cutting and pasting from those pages won't work. I stand to be corrected but, apart from saving disk space, I don't see how removing unused apps would have any effect on sound quality.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

So has anyone run the optimization scripts on Win10 1803 build?  If yes, how many processes did you end up with?  I have gotten it down to about 65 but couple of them seem to give me a headache - edge, cortana, all of the windows defender stuff.  I cannot even edit the windows defender stuff.

I have not completely shutdown the update services yet. 

Anyone gotten it to lower than 62 or so?  If yes, what did you do to get the remaining services to stop running?

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Buy and run AudiophileOptimizer and you'll have about 35 tasks if you use the most aggressive settings.

I think this depends on the version of Windows 10 you're running.  I doubt you can get anywhere near 35 on Version 1803.  What version are you running?

21 minutes ago, lmitche said:

You may be right. I'm on Windows 10 build 10074.

Sounds ancient.  It was released to the insider program as a preview on April 29, 2015!