IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

• 1 month later...

I'm coming to this thread for the first time because I need to use Win10 to build a little server/ripper for a friend.  I want to thank the original poster for his effort.  I was ready to cry because Server 2016 sounded so much better, but after doing these adjustments Win10 Home actually sounds better than Server 2016.  My question is:  Are the "scripts" that folks have posted actually scripts that can be run in PowerShell?  I wasn't sure so I did it the hard way. :(

Can these be copy-pasted into PowerShell or do I need to "create" a script?  I'm fairly proficient with command lines but this is new to me.  Any advice is welcome.  Many thanks again.

7 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I'm coming to this thread for the first time because I need to use Win10 to build a little server/ripper for a friend.  I want to thank the original poster for his effort.  I was ready to cry because Server 2016 sounded so much better, but after doing these adjustments Win10 Home actually sounds better than Server 2016.  My question is:  Are the "scripts" that folks have posted actually scripts that can be run in PowerShell?  I wasn't sure so I did it the hard way. :(

Can these be copy-pasted into PowerShell or do I need to "create" a script?  I'm fairly proficient with command lines but this is new to me.  Any advice is welcome.  Many thanks again.

Yes, just copy and paste the script into powershell.  I've done this many times with success.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

10 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I was ready to cry because Server 2016 sounded so much better, but after doing these adjustments Win10 Home actually sounds better than Server 2016. 

Run the same scripts on Server 2016...

As well, there are a bunch of server related service that can also be stopped.

6 hours ago, zackthedog said:

BTW, the getBlackbird script was a very helpful and easy first step.  The improvement was immediately apparent.

I've been corresponding with the developer over the past year or so.  He has done a total rewrite that is far more effective and more efficiently implemented called V1.0.  He says he has finally finished the project so a beta should be available shortly.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I follow with interest :)

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

• 1 month later...

i browsed this thread the other night, and didn't see this mentioned. Due to the European Commission anti-trust ruling, MS has to offer N (European) and KN (Korean) versions of Windows 10. These versions have media apps removed, media player, music, video, voice recorder and Skype. Less installed is always good. I will attempt an installation on my Surface Pro 2 tablet, I have freed up 112gb into an empty partition, keeping my existing windows installation. I often pop my tablet off its dock after it is done playing music for the day, to read on my Kindle and catch up on forum posts. I also take this tablet when I am playing my mandolin, as it has my PDFs on it. Dual boot the OS will be nice. 

I will be attempting an installation of Roon Rock on this partition first. I expect it to fail spectacularly, but hey, who knows. A tablet isn't that far off from a NUC hardware wise. And I might learn something in the process. If it doesn't succeed, I will be giving Windows 10 Pro N a try.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

52 minutes ago, Garf said:

i browsed this thread the other night, and didn't see this mentioned. Due to the European Commission anti-trust ruling, MS has to offer N (European) and KN (Korean) versions of Windows 10. These versions have media apps removed, media player, music, video, voice recorder and Skype. Less installed is always good. I will attempt an installation on my Surface Pro 2 tablet, I have freed up 112gb into an empty partition, keeping my existing windows installation. I often pop my tablet off its dock after it is done playing music for the day, to read on my Kindle and catch up on forum posts. I also take this tablet when I am playing my mandolin, as it has my PDFs on it. Dual boot the OS will be nice. 

I will be attempting an installation of Roon Rock on this partition first. I expect it to fail spectacularly, but hey, who knows. A tablet isn't that far off from a NUC hardware wise. And I might learn something in the process. If it doesn't succeed, I will be giving Windows 10 Pro N a try.

Windows N doesn't have any audio drivers or services.  Don't know if ASIO will work.  You might have to install the separate Media package.

5 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

Windows N doesn't have any audio drivers or services.  Don't know if ASIO will work.  You might have to install the Media packet.

Using a WASAPI with a Schiit Bifrost directly connected to the tablet, with a USB SSD attached. It should work with the Schiit supplied drivers. 

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

• 3 weeks later...

HI, curious, is it safe to run these scripts via Remote Desktop (meaning, there is no local monitor, keyboard, mouse) connected to the music server-- can I run these optimization scripts without killing the ability to connect via Remote Desktop?

6 hours ago, jaynyc said:

HI, curious, is it safe to run these scripts via Remote Desktop (meaning, there is no local monitor, keyboard, mouse) connected to the music server-- can I run these optimization scripts without killing the ability to connect via Remote Desktop?

Run something like TeamViewer and you shouldn't have an issue.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 4 weeks later...