IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

I don't need internet access on my HQPlayer NAA and therefore I have no need to do any OS updates on it. Fortunately no never ending battle in my case.

Good idea may be to archive older Win10 versions, as these seem to be less bloated than the never ones.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I found that stopping all services in the unistacksvcgroup is quite important in reducing the number of running processes.  Some of these can't be disabled, so I'm stopping them manually.  Does AO automatically deal with the ones that have a randomly generated suffix like User Data Access_35b68 and User Data Storage_35b68?

I think Creator's Update does have a better process model for svchost.  It seems to make it easier to stop/disable services cleanly without complications because multiple services are not sharing the same svchost process.  Microsoft did say the key motivation behind this change was reliability and serviceability.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 out of 3 of my laptop's now have the Creators edition. The Surface Pro 4 is fine and has no issues, but the Dell Latitude (i7, 16gb Ram, 500 GB SSD) did not fair so well with the update. On the Dell there is persistent freezing of mouse functions, the Start menu and access to the task bar - I'm not sure what else might be happening under the hood. A quick Google revealed there are quite a few people having these issues to. Unfortunately, I can't roll-back the update because cc cleaner has deleted those files. On the upshot my music laptop is performing very well as it's not connected to the internet, and is still running the first ever release of Windows 10 :)

MS is really locking things down.  In Creator's Update, if you completely disable Cortana the Start Menu no longer works!  This is one of the things delaying v1.0 of getBlackBird.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2017 at 11:42 PM, rickca said:

V1.0 of BlackBird will soon be available (current version is v0.9.98). I think this is the most comprehensive tool short of AO. Check out the documentation and changelog at Get Blackbird - Windows privacy, security and performance. The developer posts the latest news on http://www.facebook.com/getblackbird.

I tried current version, but my music folder is in an Apple 10TB Time Machine and BlackBird blocks the access to my files, so it is impossible use it! Would next version fix this issue?

4 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I tried current version, but my music folder is in an Apple 10TB Time Machine and BlackBird blocks the access to my files, so it is impossible use it! Would next version fix this issue?

Contact the developer at https://www.facebook.com/getblackbird, he is very responsive.  He has a patcher for v0.9x which includes a LAN connectivity fix, but you should first verify with him whether this will indeed fix your particular issue.

On 5/7/2017 at 5:18 PM, MemoryPlayer said:

Thanks for the tip!

I see on the Facebook page that I was correct and the patcher resolved your problem?

• 1 month later...

Even more processes coming to Windows 10.  We'll probably see these in the fall Creator's Update.  

Per app Runtime Broker: If you open Task Manager, you will notice UWPs now use per-application instanced Runtime Broker processes, rather than all sharing a single session-wide Runtime Broker. This will help improve resource attribution, resource management, and fault tolerance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Developer says getblackbird V1.0 is 90% complete.  This is a total rewrite of his tool.  He says V1.0 should be available soon.  He also says he sucks at forecasting availability dates.  It's just one really smart guy in Slovenia.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 10:13 PM, rickca said:

Developer says getblackbird V1.0 is 90% complete.  This is a total rewrite of his tool.  He says V1.0 should be available soon.  He also says he sucks at forecasting availability dates.  It's just one really smart guy in Slovenia.

Developer says beta for getblackbird V1.0 should be out this week.  Remember that this is a labor of love rather than a commercial product.  It may take a little longer.

If you use getblackbird you should defer Windows feature updates so that you don't automatically get the Fall Creator's Update on 10/17.  The initial Creator's Update back in April 2017 required a huge amount of rework to tame all the privacy/telemetry issues.  Microsoft seems to add a lot of undocumented, unfinished and buggy infrastructure code that isn't even fully exploited in these releases.   

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Thanks to all of your efforts on this thread. I am a newbie when it comes to windows optimization. I just built a server with Win 10 pro and tried some of the tips that I found in the word manual posted by @edbk  

I still haven't run the long script in the Powershell as I am scared that it will mess things around, but will do it later. I just wanted to share with you the performance of my system keeping in mind that I already have AO and Fidelizer Pro installed. 

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

16 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Moussa, expect to mess things up. Your are going to do clean installs and recoveries many times with Windows.  Don't worry, you will get good at this, so it won't cost you ridiculous amounts of time!

We have all done this.  It's worth it.

Thanks Larry for the encouraging words, I started this journey and no going back now :)

Ok I implemented step 16 in the manual and ran all the processes in the Powershell. I lost accessing Jriver via Jremote and Jplaystreamer. I am searching the thread now for which processes to reverse, if anyone knows which one, pls let me know.

Thanks

Moussa

2 hours ago, mozes said:

Ok I implemented step 16 in the manual and ran all the processes in the Powershell. I lost accessing Jriver via Jremote and Jplaystreamer. I am searching the thread now for which processes to reverse, if anyone knows which one, pls let me know.

Thanks

Moussa

Try starting SSDPSRV.