IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

To disable services:

View services from powershell:

Get-Service | Format-Table -Property Status, Name, Displayname

Disable a bunch of services, this involves some work figuring out which can be safely disabled ;-) If you do these firewall, security center, windows update, defender and some other useless stuff is disabled so use at your own risk:

Get-Service WinDefend | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service DPS | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service WdiServiceHost | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service WdiSystemHost | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service DiagTrack | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service diagnosticshub.standardcollector.service | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service dmwappushservice | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service MapsBroker | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service fhsvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® 4.0 Radio Management | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service lfsvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmicguestinterface | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmicheartbeat | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmickvpexchange | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmicrdv | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmicshutdown | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmictimesync | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmicvmsession | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service vmicvss | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service cphs | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service SharedAccess | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service IEEtwCollectorService | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service Spooler | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service PrintNotify | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service wercplsupport | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service WerSvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service PcaSvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service QWAVE | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service XblAuthManager | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service XblGameSave | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service XboxNetApiSvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service RasAuto | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service RasMan | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service RetailDemo | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service wuauserv | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service wscsvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service WdNisSvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Get-Service MpsSvc | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled

Yeah. This is impressive. I used the Computer Audio Design scripts for my Windows 8.1 machine which already had everything turned off and uninstalled. But I now realize, if I were to upgrade to Windows 10, I would actually have to uninstall all the new apps first, reconfigure the machine before I can even get to the stage of running a script to shutdown all the services. Not sure if I'll ever be up to the task in the near future but thanks for sharing. Very helpful.

The "script" is already in the first 2 posts, you just copy&paste that into windows powershell :) But I can turn it onto a command line script or executable. this is a pretty safe configuration as of yet. Cant find anything not working. Been working on memory consumption and windows 10 now consumes 800Mb in stead of 1,2Gb. The improvement over stock is quite remarkable.

I just have to add I was a satisfied server 2012 with Audiophil's AO user, after hearing windows 10 there's just no going back. The difference is enormous. Unfortunately it looks like an AO for windows 10 is months away, hence this diy effort to carry me over till then.

The "script" is already in the first 2 posts, you just copy&paste that into windows powershell :) But I can turn it onto a command line script or executable. this is a pretty safe configuration as of yet. Cant find anything not working. Been working on memory consumption and windows 10 now consumes 800Mb in stead of 1,2Gb. The improvement over stock is quite remarkable.

A command line script would be good! :)

I just have to add I was a satisfied server 2012 with Audiophil's AO user, after hearing windows 10 there's just no going back. The difference is enormous. Unfortunately it looks like an AO for windows 10 is months away, hence this diy effort to carry me over till then.

Interesting

I updated the manual, it includes the disable lines with instructions how to use, figured out how to do a lot of lines in single lines etc, pretty short now :) also included manually disabling defender since I havent figured out how to disable the services for that. New manual attached to this post. Windows Audio is disabled, I dont need those with HQPlayer, but you can easily reenable those with:

Set-Service AudioSrv -StartupType automatic

Set-Service AudioEndpointBuilder -StartupType automatic

reboot

Or re-enable by mouse in services.msc.

Or remove the 2 lines in the disable script lines :)

I have left network functionality intact since I stream from Nas and use Remote Desktop for controlling HQPlayer. Netbios is disabled though so you need to use ip-adresses to acces network resources. Can be easily re-enabled if anyone wants to.

There's one issue I found, you have to click the start button 3 times or so if you want to use that, either due to disabled windows search or an apps service. I'll post the disabled service for that tomorrow or so if it bothers you.

The net effect so far is ~50% less services/processes running and ~50% less memory usage:

Taskmanager-fase-2.jpg

Taskmanager-memory-fase-2.jpg

Thats it for now, Enjoy :)

windows 10 setup guide.doc

I found the service responsible for the start menu behaviour, its the DHCP Client service, or one of the 2 services depending on this one, but anyway if the start menu bothers you:

Set-Service DHCP -Startuptype Automatic

And reboot and all is good again :)

Ill update the manual later, and may take the time to turn it into a .cmd or .exe

If you run into trouble accessing your nas:

Set-Service lmhosts -StartupType Automatic

And reboot.

Its a lot of hassle/work but im running this on a single pc now which sounds much better then my other dual pc server 2012 with AO and jplay setup ? so much better I'm considering not even trying a 2nd pc anymore, hmm yeah right ?

It's a lot of hassle/work but im running this on a single pc now which sounds much better then my other dual pc server 2012 with AO and jplay setup  so much better I'm considering not even trying a 2nd pc anymore, hmm yeah right 

In my test in May with 3.7.1 HQP on Win 10 unoptimised hex core i7 > LAN > to 3770 Win 10 optimized NAA, the SQ was slightly better than single PC 3770 HQP on Win 10 optimized, but as always YMMV.

We only find out when we try ;-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I've only done the first 14 steps and the SQ improvement was very noticeable in my system. I'm on an iMac running Win10 Bootcamp with HQPlayer and Process Lasso into an iFi iDSD micro at DSD512.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

Got some questions about no sound output from several applications, if you want to use the windows audiosystem through vlc, tidal, jriver etc you need to have the following 2 services running:

AudioSrv

AudioEndpointBuilder

So either enable those in services.msc or in powershell:

Set-Service AudioSrv -StartupType Automatic

Set-Service AudioEndpointBuilder -StartupType Automatic

Reboot

Im using Jplay kernelstreaming and HQPlayer through Asio, so I dont need the windows services.. If you dont need em, disable, really sounds better ?

Oh also, its very easy to re-enable the services, just replace "disable" with "automatic" in the "Set-Service" lines, reboot, and you're back to before. If there's enough interest, so far there isnt, i can make enable/disable scripts, also in parts, like enable/disable sound, enable/disable eindows update etc, will take me just an evening but not doing it for just 3-4 people, sorry ?

I think the answer is in the post right above yours :) I may make some scripts, reversing the changes is quite easy. But frankly there's not enough interest to motivate me to spend time on it, i dont need it myself ?

edbk

I am sure there are many technical novices like me who greatly appreciate your efforts - but cannot contribute. Certainly, I'll experiment with the W10 10074 copy I have downloaded, and the simpler you make your scripts, the less chance users like me could screw things up.

Please keep up the effort!

Cheers

Frank