IGNORED

Contemporary Piano Music

Maybe way too common, but I'm surprised George Winston hasn't been mentioned. I had the opportunity to be mesmerized by Mr. Winston playing in a small chapel in Sedona AZ. a few years back, watching his hands from two pews away. I have six of his albums, my first being December.

Thanks again. Enjoyed listening to this album earlier this evening.

Probably well known stateside, George Winston is a new discovery for me.

MI0001542007.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Brad Mehldau is amazing. Solo effort "10 Years Solo Live" and "Brad Mehldau Trio Live" are great places to start. His work with guitarist Pat Methany also great. Enjoy.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

MI0001542007.jpg

First, I like the term "Contemporary Piano", and I think I would also like the term "Contemporary Acoustic Guitar" (a la Alex De Grassi, Will Ackerman, the late great Michael Hedges...). Could I suggest "Windham Hilly" for some of the aforementioned kind of music. Well, I don't think it would fly far, but I think it's kinda fun.

Glad you discovered George Winston and have quite a few of his recordings.

Also, you have got to try Philip Aaberg's Windham Hill CD, "High Plains". I ripped that CD. At 16/44, it happens to be among the most realistic and "very presence" sounding solo piano recordings you may run into. One song called "Lou Ann", alone, will stop you in your tracks!

HighPlains.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy this music immensely and find myself looking for more. This thread has been a real help in discovering more music. Unfortunately a lot of this music is filed under the New Age genre which is a term I associate more with smoke, crystals and what not.

Must look up the Windham Hill material. Thanks for the info!

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Brad Mehldau is amazing. Solo effort "10 Years Solo Live" and "Brad Mehldau Trio Live" are great places to start. His work with guitarist Pat Methany also great. Enjoy.

I just Youtube'd the album. Wonderful music! I had thought Brad Mehldau was more of a jazz pianist but there is plenty of material that is maybe bit of a cross over to this genre.

Thanks for sharing! Going to look up "10 Years Solo Live"

Regards.

I just Youtube'd the album. Wonderful music! I had thought Brad Mehldau was more of a jazz pianist but there is plenty of material that is maybe bit of a cross over to this genre.

Thanks for sharing! Going to look up "10 Years Solo Live"

Regards.

Glad you like it. His rock covers are pretty inventive. After so many done, it's hard to put your own stamp on a Beatles cover and have it convey emotion & originality like his Blackbird does.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I don't know if Wim Mertens has been mentioned.

There's also Simeon Ten Holt.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

MI0001542007.jpg

I've been a big George Winston fan for many years, Nikhil. I'm glad you have discovered him. That December album is a longtime favorite. You would also likely enjoy Craig Urquhart. In particular, I can highly recommend his Secret Spaces cd.

JC

There's also Simeon Ten Holt.

I am a serious Wim Mertens fan, going way back to the two Windham Hill releases that helped me to discover him. Incredibly talented musician and composer capable of great emotional music. Although, with his use of voice(s) and overall style, I am not sure I would place him in the purely "contemporary piano music" category. But otherwise, I recommend him to anyone who loves great music.

JC

I am a serious Wim Mertens fan, going way back to the two Windham Hill releases that helped me to discover him. Incredibly talented musician and composer capable of great emotional music. Although, with his use of voice(s) and overall style, I am not sure I would place him in the purely "contemporary piano music" category. But otherwise, I recommend him to anyone who loves great music.

JC

Thanks for the Wim Mertens info. Just looked up his "Struggle for Pleasure" Youtube and I really like it. Exhilarating ... the vocals at the end were a touch new age but overall great music.

Thanks for the Wim Mertens info. Just looked up his "Struggle for Pleasure" Youtube and I really like it. Exhilarating ... the vocals at the end were a touch new age but overall great music.

Nikhil, if you are enjoying Wim Mertens, I would strongly recommend getting the two Windham Hill compilation cd's of his best early work, Close Cover, and Whisper Me. These are both filled with beautiful music, and still, surprisingly, inexpensively. These are two collections of music I never fail to marvel at.

JC

My favourite Mertens albums are After Virtue and Maximising the Audience. I think Jeremiades also has some lovely melodies, but I have found people get put off by his voice on that one.

Not sure if the music of Poppy Ackroyd has been mentioned or would suit, but I have found myself listening to it quite a bit of late.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Nikhil,

Glad your intro to George Winston was enjoyable. He has a fairly large catalogue of well recoded albums, but seeing him live is fantastic.

Agreed. I had the great pleasure of seeing George twice in performances in Montana and Wyoming at high schools, to raise money for important causes.

JC

George Winston is a keeper. Definitely enjoying his music.

Wim Mertens on the other is turning out to be more of a modern / new age style which is not really my thing. From the few Youtube videos I've seen, it looks like Craig Urquhart is going to be more to my liking.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming!

Regards.

Nikhil,

Glad your intro to George Winston was enjoyable. He has a fairly large catalogue of well recoded albums, but seeing him live is fantastic.

Must try and see if I can get a chance to hear him live. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks audiophile65 for the Philip Aaberg reference. Exactly my type of music!

Very strong in classical technique with contemporary style.

Again the fact that his music is classified under New Age put me off but far from it this is beautiful music. Brings to mind landscapes of the wide open West.

Enjoying the High Plains album right now.

R-1775098-1242532160.jpeg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have really started to like Philip Aaberg's work.

Listening to Blue West right now ... just beautiful music.

s-l225.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Vocals Piano Strings - Ola Gjeilo

28947886914.jpg?1464795463

It's been a while since I last posted but this one is a beauty.  For fans of religious music or choral music this is an album that will definitely satisfy.  Ola Gjeilo's piano work is amazing as usual but there are parts of this album where the music is just transports you.  To my ears, religious music like this is the authentic match for achieving an atmospheric experience.   But I will defer to more knowledgeable ears than mine on this. 

To me this is just a beautiful album - highly recommended.