IGNORED

Physical Graffiti (Standard Edition) 96/24 FLAC is disappointing

@rockhead: Thanks for waking me up. So it's real...sad.

Physical Graffiti i know since ever but in these days it lived from the first sensations...

I do not have either CD nor Vinyl: how do they sound in aspect of John Paul Jones?

I don't have that experience, but I wasn't overly impressed with the remaster. I liked the first 3 of the earlier albums more - I'm pretty happy with those.

I listen to a needle drop of the LP. It isn't as clear sounding as the digital remaster, but the tonality is better, and it has more dynamic range.

As far as Jimmy Page doing the remasters, it seems that he "supervised" (my quotes), but didn't actually sit there and do the remaster. So we can't know how closely involved he was.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't have that experience, but I wasn't overly impressed with the remaster. I liked the first 3 of the earlier albums more - I'm pretty happy with those.

I listen to a needle drop of the LP. It isn't as clear sounding as the digital remaster, but the tonality is better, and it has more dynamic range.

As far as Jimmy Page doing the remasters, it seems that he "supervised" (my quotes), but didn't actually sit there and do the remaster. So we can't know how closely involved he was.

Yes, i agree: the first 3 LP's cannot replaced by anything.

I think that such a masterpiece (Physical Graffiti) should be dignified anyway, but so...

so the damage is done. In former times when we had our first stereo there exists a button called Loudness to fix the sound in case one listen at low levels - we used it even at high levels because it punches up the low end of frequency and even the high end. In addition to that there were some fancy controls called Bass and Treble and we turned them up to the max as well... All to fix the poor sound reaching our ears!

What about such a remedy nowadays?

so the damage is done. In former times when we had our first stereo there exists a button called Loudness to fix the sound in case one listen at low levels - we used it even at high levels because it punches up the low end of frequency and even the high end. In addition to that there were some fancy controls called Bass and Treble and we turned them up to the max as well... All to fix the poor sound reaching our ears!

What about such a remedy nowadays?

Today you do it with software. JRiver has a loudness function that functions exactly like the old knob on analog (but better), for instance.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Today you do it with software. JRiver has a loudness function that functions exactly like the old knob on analog (but better), for instance.

Yes, today we do it with software but i would prefere a one-time fix directly in the (flac-) files. Once fixed i could listen them on headphones or speakers and in context with other sounds without fidle around. It is not a matter of room correction or adjustment related to gear - i just want the files sound in a reasonable way.