IGNORED

Mini Monitor for Mac Mini

I've moved all my hi fi kit, save the amp (sits just off center between and behind the speakers, on an amp stand), to a rack off to one side of my stereo. I currently have a small 720p tv sitting just above the rack on a built in shelf. I would like to ditch this and put a really small monitor on the shelf, or maybe even on the stand the computer is on. I do have screen sharing, but I currently use my iPhone, so screen sharing isn't great (phone is too small). What I usually do is, turn on the computer and tv, get Pure Music up and running, turn off tv and use remote on my iPhone.

Even if (when) I get an iPad, it think I still want to keep a small monitor. My experience with screen sharing is you are eventually going to want a monitor and keyboard. Why not just keep them on hand?

I assume in the world of really small monitors I'll be looking at HDMI. I currently run the TV from the HDMI of the mini, and have not had any problems with it.

Do any of you mini users have a really small monitor you recommend?

I've moved all my hi fi kit, save the amp (sits just off center between and behind the speakers, on an amp stand), to a rack off to one side of my stereo. I currently have a small 720p tv sitting just above the rack on a built in shelf. I would like to ditch this and put a really small monitor on the shelf, or maybe even on the stand the computer is on. I do have screen sharing, but I currently use my iPhone, so screen sharing isn't great (phone is too small). What I usually do is, turn on the computer and tv, get Pure Music up and running, turn off tv and use remote on my iPhone.

Even if (when) I get an iPad, it think I still want to keep a small monitor. My experience with screen sharing is you are eventually going to want a monitor and keyboard. Why not just keep them on hand?

I assume in the world of really small monitors I'll be looking at HDMI. I currently run the TV from the HDMI of the mini, and have not had any problems with it.

Do any of you mini users have a really small monitor you recommend?

Try Deal Extreme:

7 TFT LCD Monitor with HDMI& YPbPr Input for Video Camera - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

They're out of Hong Kong. Send your money, and you'll get delivery in about 2 weeks in the USA. I've bought many things from them. They are absolutely reliable. BTW. The one example I gave you the URL to, above, is just one of many similar products on the Deal Extreme site. Don't like that one? Search again.

George

I think the iPad (any version) is the way to go. It is much smaller and looks much more neat than any of those screens, I have lilliput 7" & 10 inch. , finally end up using a used iPad.

I have purchased the Duet Display apps, works flawless with my Mac Mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the iPad (any version) is the way to go. It is much smaller and looks much more neat than any of those screens, I have lilliput 7" & 10 inch. , finally end up using a used iPad.

I have purchased the Duet Display apps, works flawless with my Mac Mini.

I thought about that, but have heard that there are issues when using screen sharing without anything attached as a first screen.

Do you always leave your iPad attached or do you run screen sharing? If you usually run screen sharing, how is it when (if?) you need to connect the iPad as a first screen? Does the mini recognize it right away?

I forgot, no I don't keep my iPad connected all time.

I hope once the Audirvana remote app release, i would just need connect a "screen" to the Mac Mini just for system updates once a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot, no I don't keep my iPad connected all time.

I hope once the Audirvana remote app release, i would just need connect a "screen" to the Mac Mini just for system updates once a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you only connect for system updates and such, and use screen sharing or a remote app the rest of the time?

The Audirvana remote app is not yet released, so it's only a plan for now to connect the iPad only when needed for softwares updates.

So for now I have to keep it connect when I use the Mac Mini.

So you only connect for system updates and such, and use screen sharing or a remote app the rest of the time?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't connect a monitor even for system updates - I do it through Screen Sharing.

I don't have a monitor hooked up to my Mac mini music server at all.

I thought about that, but have heard that there are issues when using screen sharing without anything attached as a first screen.

you're right David, the Mini's graphics capability is disabled so what appears on the iPad screen share is coarse and difficult to work with (because all your OSX windows are sized for 1280 or 1600 etc, not 480).

There is a simple solution; use an "HDMI Emulator". It's a small device bit like a USB stick that plugs into the HDMI port and fools the mini into thinking it has an HDMI screen attached, allowing full use of graphics capability and you can send any sized display output to the iPad. It's simple and excellent.

I have the following, but caution..... this linked price is outrageous so you'll have to shop around elsewhere (I paid 12 Euros, about 15 dollars for this identical item in Amazon 12 months ago).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OE2DUJ8?keywords=hdmi%20emulator&qid=1437592301&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Try searching "HDMI Emulator" on electrical stores; sure you'll be able to find one for a good price (please don't pay 85 Euros !!)

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

you're right David, the Mini's graphics capability is disabled so what appears on the iPad screen share is coarse and difficult to work with (because all your OSX windows are sized for 1280 or 1600 etc, not 480).

There is a simple solution; use an "HDMI Emulator". It's a small device bit like a USB stick that plugs into the HDMI port and fools the mini into thinking it has an HDMI screen attached, allowing full use of graphics capability and you can send any sized display output to the iPad. It's simple and excellent.

I have the following, but caution..... this linked price is outrageous so you'll have to shop around elsewhere (I paid 12 Euros, about 15 dollars for this identical item in Amazon 12 months ago).

CompuLab Display Emulator Consumer Portable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Try searching "HDMI Emulator" on electrical stores; sure you'll be able to find one for a good price (please don't pay 85 Euros !!)

Great point - I use an HDMI emulator on my mini for this reason, and it works great - totally seamless, plug and play. I paid $10 to $15 for mine (I think from Amazon's US site).