IGNORED

DSD To PCM Offline Conversion Software Question

Hi Guys - I'm working on an article about converting DSD content to PCM offline and comparing the sound quality of the different converters against each other and against the original DSD files. I'm not advocating converting or not converting, but I'm guessing there is going to be a larger need for this offline conversion because some new PCM only DACs are scheduled to hit the market soon.

Question: What DSD to PCM offline conversion software should be considered in this article?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Offline, eh?

I guess there are Korg Audiogate (availability now limited), JRiver, and the offline converter I use (in the other direction, though), Audiophile Inventory (the PROduce-RD version is what I've got). I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Question: Why exclude inline conversion, or are you looking at that separately?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Offline, eh?

I guess there are Korg Audiogate (availability now limited), JRiver, and the offline converter I use (in the other direction, though), Audiophile Inventory (the PROduce-RD version is what I've got). I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Question: Why exclude inline conversion, or are you looking at that separately?

Hi Jud - I'm currently looking at JRiver, Weiss Saracon, and Ponophile as offline converters. I know there are many more and I want to make sure I consider as many as possible.

Conversion at time of playback is a topic for another article. Funny though, doing conversion on the fly is what got me thinking more about the quality of conversion software. I was testing an unnamed app's ability to convert DSD to PCM during playback and noticed it sounded significantly better than my offline conversions. Anyway, that's for another article (at least that's how it's planned in my head right now).

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

dbpoweramp now has a codec that will allow you to convert DSD to wav or flac

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

foobar2000 with foo_input_sacd using the built-in foobar2000 Converter.

You can right-click selected items in a playlist and choose Convert using the same interface as for example if you convert WAV to FLAC.

In Preferences > SACD you can set DSD2PCM Mode including installable filter (Installable FIR), some filters are included in foo_input_sacd distribution.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
  • 2 weeks later...
dbpoweramp now has a codec that will allow you to convert DSD to wav or flac

Hi firedog - I'm looking into dBpoweramp for this right now and it appears that it will convert DSD into a DoP file rather than a straight PCM file. Is this correct?

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-dsd-dff-dsf-sacd.htm

No, DBPoweramp converts DSF to PCM. If wav, then you set bit depth and sample rate; if FLAC then (at least with my system) it converts to 24/352.8k. Played back they are PCM files.

Cool, thanks Ted.

I should add that the DoP containerizing is indeed an option under advanced options in the DBPoweramp config tab, but left alone the DSF files are simply converted to PCM.

This one (for OS X) will extract tracks from DSD iso's directly to PCM formats (in addition to DSF, etc.), and the PCM results are quite good, IMO:

TRAX Audio SACD Extractor

Recent versions of XLD can also extract tracks from DSD iso's directly to PCM formats. I find this convenient for making AAC versions that I use for playback on my iOS devices.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

SoX really allows conversion? What is the command line?

I have understood that it is only possible with dsd2pcm pipe (Link) ... In the latter program is based dBpoweramp converter

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

DSD Master is another (MAC). I preferred the resulting sound quality when compared to Audiogate conversions.

DSD Master

Another vote for DSD Master, which I used extensively until I got a DSD-capable DAC. The blog by the author makes for interesting reading as well.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Another vote for DSD Master, which I used extensively until I got a DSD-capable DAC. The blog by the author makes for interesting reading as well.

+1 I have it my feed reader, I enjoy the Bitperfect Blog.

There was some back and forth between Richard and Mark Waldrep / John Siau over DSD and PCM.

Hey-Guys-Itis-an-Internet-Fight.jpg

Start:

BitPerfect: On DSD vs PCM … again

Part I:

Not So Bit Perfect About DSD vs. PCM? | Real HD-Audio

Part II:

Not So Bit Perfect About DSD vs. PCM? Part II | Real HD-Audio

Part III:

Not So Bit Perfect About DSD vs. PCM? Part III | Real HD-Audio

Part IV:

Not So Bit Perfect About DSD vs. PCM? Part IV | Real HD-Audio

Part V:

Not So Bit Perfect About DSD vs. PCM? Finale | Real HD-Audio

Then to compliment this back and forth AND this discussion of DSD to PCM. Archimago's blog is good.

Archimago's Musings: ANALYSIS: DSD Conversion Impulse & Spectral Display... Another few images for completeness!

I really don't know what to do at this point because of the referenced links above. I'd just like to know what is the best/recommended way to do DSD to PCM and is it transparent.

I look forward to CA's coverage on this topic. :D

One topic that does not get discussed much is the filter needed to filter out the high frequency noise when converting from DSD to PCM. Some converters discuss this issue and allow for different filters and some don't. Let me use JRiver as an example, because it is the one I am most familiar with. It has a default low pass filter at 24 KHz with a slope of 48dB/octave. This is an aggressive filter and starts just above the 20 KHz audible limit. Some people, especially those using 176/192 or above or 2X DSD may find that this filter starts at too low a frequency. JRiver therefore offers filters starting at 30 KHz and 50 KHz, but with only a 24 dB/octave slope. This lower slope still allows some high frequency noise through at higher freqencies comparted to the 48 dB/octave slope of the default filter. You can also bypass the standard filters and use the JRiver DSP studio to set your own filter. I use a 60 KHz filter with a a 48dB/octave slope. This allows higher frequency frequencies through, while cutting out the very high frequency noise. I believe Weiss uses a filter similar to the JRiver default.

DSD Master uses difference filters depending on the PCM sample rate. They discuss this on their blogspot (although I cannot currently find it). They use one filter for 44/48 KHz, one for 88/96 and another one for 176/192/352/384.

There is a discussion of filtering in DSD2PCM here : Archimago's Musings: ANALYSIS: DSD-to-PCM 2015 - foobar SACD Plug-In, AuI ConverteR, noise & impulse response...

Obviously, this is a complicated topic and people have different views on the advantage of having frequencies greater than 20 KHz. I just want to point out that the low pass filter for each converter should be considered. And, you certainly want to be sure the tool you are using has one. You can try your own conversions and look at the results. I use a little free program called SPEK for a quick look at the frequency spectrum. Also, Vinyl Studio has a nice frequency plot, which shows you spectrum for a full track.

Here is a quick example of a 192 KHz file with no low pass filter and with a 60 KHz 48 dB/octave filter.

DSD to PCM -No Filter.JPG

DSD to PCM - 60 KHz 48 db Filter.JPG

If DSD low frequency filter start transient band upper 20 kHz, the filter pass additional inaudible noise too.

More band or slope filter - more noise and:

- appear possibility of infiltration/shifting ultrasound noise to audible range due non-linear distortions of analog part of apparatus;

- dynamical range is decreased for useful signal. I.e. we don't listen ultrasound, but maximal loudness of audible part of music is more limited. For DSD it is more important than for PCM due significant ultrasound noise level.

Other hand more slope filter give less ringing artefacts.

As usual need compromise decission.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature