IGNORED

Does "which" PC matter?

My current PC is not talking to my amp. I have the correct USB driver and programming installed. I posted a question about it in the 'software' section, if you think you might have a suggestion. I am wondering: should I not get this computer to work, I am going to buy a computer with Windows 7.

Do different computers work better than others for streaming music through a USB into an amp? Are there computers that have this activity specifically in mind?

Thank in advance

What program, into what DAC, playing what file? It is likely that there is a software mute or rerouting.

mholliday,

A good beginning would be to list the amp you're using.

I'm assuming it has a DAC function of some sort if you're expecting it to work with your PC.

Joel

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

The McIntosh USB driver for Windows and the alternate driver for Mac are both particular about running only on an Intel processor. Although not mentioned in the operation guide the USB facility on the PC has to be USB 2.0. Does your current PC satisfy these requirements?

McIntosh MA8000 Integrated Amplifier

Windows USB Driver Operation Guide

Mac USB Driver Operation Guide

Also have you tried another USB cable?

As noted, impossible to give reasonable answers or suggestions without more information. Generally, if you are a Windows person, buying W7 is not a great idea. W10 or W8.1Pro makes more sense. But without more info...

If you sre on a Mac, generally these are issues with having the wrong device selected in software.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You might try temporarily bypassing the McIntosh USB implementation and using one of the S/PDIF inputs. You can use an adapter like this:

Amazon Options

The Well-Tempered Computer Suggestions

Another option is to try another PC. I know it's the last thing you might expect but maybe there is something about the Razer -- USB 3.0 only -- that is confusing the USB driver.

If successful you have some useful input for McIntosh.

One thing to try is to have the USB cable from the Razer hooked up to the McIntosh 8000 with the power "on" , have the USB input selected and then reboot your Razer

If this does not establish the connection, then the following might work.

I have successfully used a Corning optical USB with Uptone Regen Green to connect a USB 3 port on the PC motherboard to a USB 2 DAC (Exasound E20) with ASIO USB driver

Hopefully this would work with the USB 3 ports on your Razer 14 and give you very good sound quality as well

you could also try an inexpensive alternative J5Create USB hub

http://j5create.com/our-products/usb-hub/juh340.html

which would do the USB 3 to USB 2 conversion

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I am going to try the Uptone Regen.

Thank you for the advice and I'll tell you if it works.

One thing to try is to have the USB cable from the Razer hooked up to the McIntosh 8000 with the power "on" , have the USB input selected and then reboot your Razer

If this does not establish the connection, then the following might work.

I have successfully used a Corning optical USB with Uptone Regen Green to connect a USB 3 port on the PC motherboard to a USB 2 DAC (Exasound E20) with ASIO USB driver

Hopefully this would work with the USB 3 ports on your Razer 14 and give you very good sound quality as well

you could also try an inexpensive alternative J5Create USB hub

JUH340 USB 3.0 4-port Mini Hub

which would do the USB 3 to USB 2 conversion

So, I still have a question: Do computers speak to an amp differently from one another? I want to use J River and an amp with a DAC built into it, so all of the computer hardware and software should be bypassed. But, is there something I should look for in a computer when purchasing one for the sole purpose of storing and playing music?