IGNORED

JRiver MC 21 - Pre Order Notification

Nikhil

Just received an email from JRiver with a pre-order notification for v21.

I have been using Jriver since v19 and have upgraded to v20. Not a problem for what the software does for me and considering that I use it so much now. Is this standard practice for JRiver to post a new revision every year or so? I guess they have to earn revenue somewhere. And I know I don't have to do the upgrade.

The other issue with this yearly upgrade is that the update installs over the existing licence. But when you check in your installed programs you still have the earlier versions listed. Is it okay to delete/uninstall the earlier versions from my computer (running Win 7)?

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Yes, they update versions pretty regularly. But the question is, is there a reason for you to update?

So far the only info I've seen is that v21 adds/improves Video features, haven't seen anything to do with audio.

I don't update unless there is some feature/improvement that I will use or improves performance.

So I updated from 17 to 18, skipped 19, and updated to 20 (DSD features were added).

If you decide not to update every version, nothing happens: your present version keeps on performing fine. You can delete earlier versions, or you can also run multiple versions in multiple folders. Nothing prevents you from doing so.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm still running JRiver 18 and play DSD files - what new DSD features were added in 20? TIA!

I think in 20 they added the upsampling on the fly to dsd 2X and 4x

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

They have just announced in another thread that the main upgrade will be photo management. I think you can safely skip this upgrade.

I believe I just said that image support was coming next for Mac and Linux. It's not the main thing coming.

We're doing some work blending local tracks and streaming that I think has a lot of potential in the long run.

We will also probably have an Android version some time in the next year. It will be a subset of MC.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

I believe I just said that image support was coming next for Mac and Linux. It's not the main thing coming.

We're doing some work blending local tracks and streaming that I think has a lot of potential in the long run.

We will also probably have an Android version some time in the next year. It will be a subset of MC.

Sorry I misread your post. It would probably be helpful for everybody if you could let us know what we can expect to get if we pay the $18 early upgrade fee before July 25.

Isn't the upgrade a one time cost for v21 vs yearly fee? Maybe v22 will come out a year later but that would be another optional fee.

I am still on v19 and might move to v21 and assume I just pay this one time upgrade and then have another decision when v22 come out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the upgrade a one time cost for v21 vs yearly fee? Maybe v22 will come out a year later but that would be another optional fee.

I am still on v19 and might move to v21 and assume I just pay this one time upgrade and then have another decision when v22 come out

The JRiver Model is quite simple. See here.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Within limits, I believe you pay once when you upgrade, even if you skipped a version. Obviously at a certain point you can't do a simple upgrade.

Sorry I misread your post. It would probably be helpful for everybody if you could let us know what we can expect to get if we pay the $18 early upgrade fee before July 25.

Second that. I've just spent about 15 - 20 mins looking for a change log on the JRiver website and Interact forum and have not been able to find one. All discussions on V21 diverge into discussions on upgrading to V21 from previous versions.

The only info that comes close is this post here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98572.0

A little more clarity would be appreciated.

I would agree that nothing appears to be new on the audio front in V21.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Second that. I've just spent about 15 - 20 mins looking for a change log on the JRiver website and Interact forum and have not been able to find one. All discussions on V21 diverge into discussions on upgrading to V21 from previous versions.

The only info that comes close is this post here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98572.0

A little more clarity would be appreciated.

I would agree that nothing appears to be new on the audio front in V21.

Doesn't appear that Jriver is very interested in our money. I wouldn't mind spending $18, but not blindly.

Doesn't appear that Jriver is very interested in our money. I wouldn't mind spending $18, but not blindly.

I do not plan on paying for the upgrade, however $18 isn't that much money compared to what we are spending on downloads. My impression of how the MC updates work is that the actual plan is not that well established at the start of the new cycle but gets better defined as it progresses. The early adopters get the chance to provide their input on how the development cycle evolves, i.e., you can request features that you want to have included. If the path was already well established I would expect the cost to be higher. Their model is different and I can see it has its strengths as well as weaknesses. You can pay your $18 but still keep using MC20 until you feel that MC21 is stable enough or skip MC21 entirely if you are happy with MC20. At some point, I believe, all of the music player developers charge for a major update. As users, we do need to support them otherwise we will be left with a bunch of HiRes files that cannot be played. Remember, the computer platform, be it Windows or Mac, is constantly changing and the software writers are always playing catchup. Without continued support it wouldn't take long for the software to stop working entirely. Just my thoughts...

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I do not plan on paying for the upgrade, however $18 isn't that much money compared to what we are spending on downloads. My impression of how the MC updates work is that the actual plan is not that well established at the start of the new cycle but gets better defined as it progresses. The early adopters get the chance to provide their input on how the development cycle evolves, i.e., you can request features that you want to have included. If the path was already well established I would expect the cost to be higher. Their model is different and I can see it has its strengths as well as weaknesses. You can pay your $18 but still keep using MC20 until you feel that MC21 is stable enough or skip MC21 entirely if you are happy with MC20. At some point, I believe, all of the music player developers charge for a major update. As users, we do need to support them otherwise we will be left with a bunch of HiRes files that cannot be played. Remember, the computer platform, be it Windows or Mac, is constantly changing and the software writers are always playing catchup. Without continued support it wouldn't take long for the software to stop working entirely. Just my thoughts...

That's a nice statement of the situation. I said something similar a couple of years ago:

JRiver's Business Model

Here's a general idea of where we're going in the coming months:

Plans for MC21

That's a nice statement of the situation. I said something similar a couple of years ago:

JRiver's Business Model

Here's a general idea of where we're going in the coming months:

Plans for MC21

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Reading about your Business Model does explain a lot.

I'm assuming a change log will be published eventually once V21 is official.

While we have your attention - It does seem like JRiver has fallen behind some of the newer players in terms of Sound Quality. HQPlayer is several notches up in the DSD area. Would be nice to have some updated filters. I say this because there doesn't seem to be a lot addressed in the new version for Audio.

Regards.

I don't have a problem with the business model. I just don't see the benefits of the new build for audio only users.

Jim,

Would be nice to have some updated filters. I say this because there doesn't seem to be a lot addressed in the new version for Audio.

If you'd like to start a thread on that, I'll reply.