IGNORED

why the static

I am listening to music on my work laptop using itunes with the music files in apple lossless format. I've plugged in a Fiio e10 Olympus 2 headphone amp and DAC with a pair of Beyerdynamic T70Ps. I am very happy with the sound however I notice that sometimes when I adjust the volume on the Fiio I hear static. I am wondering if someone can explain why this might be happening?

Thanks.

I am listening to music on my work laptop using itunes with the music files in apple lossless format. I've plugged in a Fiio e10 Olympus 2 headphone amp and DAC with a pair of Beyerdynamic T70Ps. I am very happy with the sound however I notice that sometimes when I adjust the volume on the Fiio I hear static. I am wondering if someone can explain why this might be happening?

Thanks.

Could be some dirt/dust has got into the volume pot.

Could be some dirt/dust has got into the volume pot.

+1. Very often, you can lessen this by just turning the volume control back and forth a number of times, which buffs dirt and patina off of the wipers. On full sized equipment (which doesn't apply to the OP) spraying the inside of the pot with a cleaner or "lube" and performing this wiping action is a great idea, done about as often as cleaning all the system connections. On a portable this can be done too, but it takes a bit more caution, since everything is packed so tight. The tiny controls are often more prone to this type of degradation than larger controls.