IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I vote for cable not longer than 20 inches and with angle connector at the USB REGEN side.

Angle connector is not required to supply REGEN connected with USB adapter to DAC, but angle connector is required to supply USB REGEN connected with USB adapter to the streamer (for those who uses two USB REGENS).

Yes, I could get behind a right-angle connector at one end.

And while I would love to keep the cable a short 20", I worry about complaints. We will try to make the case look nice (just simple silk-screening on the face with no LED, and both the 5.5mm x 2.1mm jacks on the back--maybe an LED there, have not decided), but some people may want to leave it hidden and a really short cable may prohibit that.

Yes, I could get behind a right-angle connector at one end.

And while I would love to keep the cable a short 20", I worry about complaints. We will try to make the case look nice (just simple silk-screening on the face with no LED, and both the 5.5mm x 2.1mm jacks on the back--maybe an LED there, have not decided), but some people may want to leave it hidden and a really short cable may prohibit that.

+1 for the right angle connector for the supplied DC cable.

I am double Regen on my headphone rig and it would be great to have right angle connector for the DC cable. Also, will the DC cable have ferrites ? (never been a fan of ferrites on any cable apart from HDMI were it makes an improvement... ferrites just seems to flatten the sound, takes away from the high frequencies ... also ferrites can be a bit tricky, at first it sounds like an improvement, though over time the effect degrades and it is actually makes it sound worse IMO).

Alex, from an earlier post by you in this thread ...

"So yes, the mystery PS product in development--whose primary purpose is to provide very clean and isolated DC to the REGEN (with a switch for 5V out too)--will not, if itself powered by an SMPS (7.5-12V/2A min.), address the issue of what that SMPS dumps back into the house line.

So for those people who have a system sensitive to all SMPS, there will be THIRD product, a rather radical little linear, just for feeding the new PS--that draws current through the whole cycle and does not affect the mains at all. Inspiration on some kooky-clever, never before done way of doing this came to John during a 3-hour phone session we had Friday night."

Alex, any more breadcrumbs (information) that you can divulge ?

I am interested in both power products .... though probably more the "Third Product" (radical little linear) as I am allergic to SMPS and do not have a Linear PSU for my speaker rig (I have been testing my double Regen experiment on my headphone rig during the last few days ... I have decided to buy another 2 Regens for my speaker rig .... and double Regen that rig, though will hold out before buying until I know more about the "Third" product ... or late August ... whichever comes first, really depends on my willpower :) before my total Regen count grows to 4 , double Regen on each of my rigs).

Alex, thank you (and John Swenson) for improving my enjoyment of music.

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Perhaps we should have a new thread on something like: "Ratnests, wire nightmares, and cable dressing" :)

I've never understood how no matter what I do, the cables always seem to magically tangle themselves into a rat's nest.... It's one of the factors that has me thinking about some kind of all in one (or close to it) system. Less components, fewer cables to tangle.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I swear elves do it while I sleep.

I've never understood how no matter what I do, the cables always seem to magically tangle themselves into a rat's nest.... It's one of the factors that has me thinking about some kind of all in one (or close to it) system. Less components, fewer cables to tangle.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I swear elves do it while I sleep.

It's Audio Elf! Eloise, stop messing with 4est's cables!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Mmm ... no more breadcrumbs (information) about the devices which can not be named.

I suppose I must just have to learn to be patient :)

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Mmm ... no more breadcrumbs (information) about the devices which can not be named.

I suppose I must just have to learn to be patient :)

I think Alex has wisely learned to refrain from dropping hints about products that are far from being made/finished. He doesn't have time to answer all the questions that pop up, and some of them multiple times.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think Alex has wisely learned to refrain from dropping hints about products that are far from being made/finished. He doesn't have time to answer all the questions that pop up, and some of them multiple times.

Yep, I'd add that I'd wait to buy anything to power the REGEN unless you buy a JS-2. :-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I suppose I must just have to learn to be patient.

Thanks for your patience. We are working hard on it every day. In fact John has laid out the production PCB before the prototype PCBs are even populated with parts for testing. He seems really motivated on this one! I can't wait to drop the bombshell about what this thing is about. ;)

But I want to have most everything lined up. So I'm guessing 90 days+.

Best,

--Alex C.

Yes, that is probably wise, else it stirs up the more rabid element amongst us ... like me :) !

Ohhhhhh

Wait, 90 days is 3 months. We are working towards trying to ship in October (ideally early in it). So make of that what you will. Really I should keep my trap shut. ;)

P.S. Our mailman just delivered the printed book version of Jason Stoddard's, "Schiit Happened" blog. I read all of it each week as he posted, but figured it would be fun to have on the shelf to revisit. First time around I did a lot of nodding as I read some of the funny stories since we had our share of adventure during the boom and bust of Hovland Company. Of course the world and market has changed a lot and now I'm doing direct-to-user business, so now some of what he writes is even more relevant. (The chapter on Amazon was quite an eye-opener.)

Thanks for your patience. We are working hard on it every day. In fact John has laid out the production PCB before the prototype PCBs are even populated with parts for testing. He seems really motivated on this one! I can't wait to drop the bombshell about what this thing is about. ;)

But I want to have most everything lined up. So I'm guessing 90 days+.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex, thanks for the update ... I appreciate it.

You know I am extremely impressed by the Regen (currently double Regen on my headphone rig as that is where I have my linear psu), hence quite curious of what is coming next from UpTone Audio ... especially any power related products.

For "Regen-ing" my speaker rig

... I think I will do it just once & do the job right ... all in one go

(double regen + power it with "Voldemort"'s from UpTone Audio).

So I will be patient.

John

Wait, 90 days is 3 months. We are working towards trying to ship in October (ideally early in it). So make of that what you will. Really I should keep my trap shut. ;)

Alex-

Bottom line is that it is what it is. We can have it right or we can have it now but we can't have it right now! ;-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

P.S. Our mailman just delivered the printed book version of Jason Stoddard's, "Schiit Happened" blog. I read all of it each week as he posted, but figured it would be fun to have on the shelf to revisit. First time around I did a lot of nodding as I read some of the funny stories since we had our share of adventure during the boom and bust of Hovland Company. Of course the world and market has changed a lot and now I'm doing direct-to-user business, so now some of what he writes is even more relevant. (The chapter on Amazon was quite an eye-opener.)

My birthday is October 8,,,,,,,,, (hint-hint) ;)

Murphy's Law for sure. As for your PS - how about a version with female usb? (5v)

Thanks!

Murphy's Law for sure. As for your PS - how about a version with female usb? (5v)

Thanks for the suggestion, but why would you want that?

If you are talking about using it with a split USB cable to feed a bus-powered DAC, it is never a good idea to use a split cable in that manner. Ground currents flow in weird ways if you do that and you risk frying your DAC's USB input (we have heard of many people doing just that). Those split cables are meant to have both of their 'A' ends plugged into the same computer/ground.

And anyone using a REGEN sure does not have to worry about VBUS power since the REGEN ignores incoming Pin1 5V and outputs its own, very clean 5VBUS to the DAC with one of its ultra-low-noise TPS regulators and an nice cap network around it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but why would you want that?

If you are talking about using it with a split USB cable to feed a bus-powered DAC, it is never a good idea to use a split cable in that manner. Ground currents flow in weird ways if you do that and you risk frying your DAC's USB input (we have heard of many people doing just that). Those split cables are meant to have both of their 'A' ends plugged into the same computer/ground.

And anyone using a REGEN sure does not have to worry about VBUS power since the REGEN ignores incoming Pin1 5V and outputs its own, very clean 5VBUS to the DAC with one of its ultra-low-noise TPS regulators and an nice cap network around it.

Hi Alex,

For clarification, in this context, are you talking about the USB Y-cables that are designed to supply 5V power from two USB ports while supplying data from only one port (to pull up to 1000mA at 5VDC, instead of just 500mA)?

If so, can they be rendered harmless (no ground loop) by blocking Pin #1 of that side of the Y that is meant to pull both data and power? (You once posted about doing this to convert a normal USB cable into a data-only cable.)

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Alex,

For clarification, in this context, are you talking about the USB Y-cables that are designed to supply 5V power from two USB ports while supplying data from only one port (to pull up to 1000mA at 5VDC, instead of just 500mA)?

If so, can they be rendered harmless (no ground loop) by blocking Pin #1 of that side of the Y that is meant to pull both data and power? (You once posted about doing this to convert a normal USB cable into a data-only cable.)

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike:

Yes, those are the cables I am referring to. But your second statement/question does not apply.

First of all, AFAIK, those split cables do not have an 'A' side wired to pull both data and Pin1 +5V. That would defeat the purpose of the cable which is to keep the 5V off the data cable run.

Secondly, the problem lies not in the +5V, but in the ground line. Both the data "leg" and the "power" leg of those split 'A' USB cables do have the Pin4 ground wire run in them (I think). Or maybe it is that the data side does not and then has to use the other leg for reference. It all gets very confusing and then some serious ground currents run the wrong way if you hook the power leg to something that has a different ground.

One JS-2 owner made a DC-barrel>USB adapter to plug the power leg of his LH Labs cable into the JS-2; He also had his Mac mini powered by the JS-2, and the data side of the LH cable fed from the mini to his DAC. He fried the input board of his expensive Meitner DAC.

I realize that the above example is more complicated than some in that he was trying to use the same PS (with common ground) to power the computer and the DAC's USB input. But my point is that those split cables should be used as they were meant to be, and that one asks for trouble and takes risks if you plug the 'A' ends into different chassis.

Besides, when using a REGEN there is no point in even using a spilt USB cable since the REGEN ignores Pin1 +5V and generates its own VERY clean 5VBUS for DACs that need it. If you have a split cable that you like, go ahead and use the data side of it--just don't plug the power side into anything. Leave it hanging (maybe cover the end).

And if you have a regular USB cable and don't want the 5V even going down the cable to the REGEN (though with it not connected at the REGEN end no current flows so it ought not to bother anything), you can, at the 'A' end cover (using methods described elsewhere) pin 1 before you plug it into your computer.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

These USB cable and all the external power supply topics and tweaks drive me crazy. But I guess I should expect as much when we put out a USB device and power supplies. ;);)

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Secondly, the problem lies not in the +5V, but in the ground line.

Hey, Superbad :P

Do you know of a cool way to detect which of my various wall-wart power supplies is causing the most havoc on the computer USB Ground plane?

e.g. I have a couple of external USB HDDs with them connected to the main computer through USB.

I also have a sound card connected through USB.

The best I can do for now barring aural sessions is to use a DIY scope probe circuit and the Mac's 96kHz input and a soft running through WINE and giving me spectra up to 48KHz.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hey, Superbad :P

Do you know of a cool way to detect which of my various wall-wart power supplies is causing the most havoc on the computer USB Ground plane?

I do I do. Replace them all with a JS-2. :-) Muahhhhhh