IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alex, the iFi iPower I got with the micro rendu says 9V/2.0A on the box, so I'm confused by your comment.

Also when you reveal the technology behind the whateveritis, please explain why your device is superior to a conventional LPS in the same price range.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Alex, the iFi iPower I got with the micro rendu says 9V/2.0A on the box, so I'm confused by your comment.

I appears that iFi has updated their iPower and that there have been two versions (and that is leaving out the early one that they used to ship with their product.) Here is the pic of the back of the box from the unit I got from Rich at Signature Sound about a month after shipments began.

iFi iPower box.jpg

I appears that iFi has updated their iPower and that there have been two versions (and that is leaving out the early one that they used to ship with their product.) Here is the pic of the back of the box from the unit I got from Rich at Signature Sound about a month after shipments began.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26029[/ATTACH]

Mine also says 9V 2A- that's probably the most current version.

I'm eagerly awaiting my own mystery power supply :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26029[/ATTACH]

iFi has clarified that the original iPower packaging contained printed spec/current ratings that were very conservative due to the non-completion of certification testing at product launch.

That certification testing is now complete and all newer iPower shipments contain a sticker covering the original ratings on the packaging with the newer certified higher current ratings, but all previously shipped iPower units are identical and thus conform to the newer higher current rating too despite what is printed on the packaging.

Their older ULN power supply that wasn't available separately and only shipped bundled with DAC/amp products is a totally separate product, and this new current rating does not pertain to that older design, only the iPower.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

iFi has clarified that the original iPower packaging contained printed spec/current ratings that were very conservative due to the non-completion of certification testing at product launch.

That certification testing is now complete and all newer iPower shipments contain a sticker covering the original ratings on the packaging with the newer certified higher current ratings, but all previously shipped iPower units are identical and thus conform to the newer higher current rating too despite what is printed on the packaging.

Their older ULN power supply that wasn't available separately and only shipped bundled with DAC/amp products is a totally separate product, and this new current rating does not pertain to that older design, only the iPower.

Hi Mikey:

Thanks for clarifying that. I do have a programmable DC load machine (use it to torture-test JS-2s!), so I could put my 9V iPower SMPS wart on it and see how it holds up for a couple of hours at 2A continuos. Might be a bit stressful for it, but I am willing to sacrifice in the name of science--and to verify if it will be okay to use to power our new supply.

I still think people will want to find a different use for their iFi since it is not anymore AC-mains-quiet than any other SMPS, and its improved output will be of zero benefit to the our piece.

--Alex C.

I still think people will want to find a different use for their iFi since it is not anymore AC-mains-quiet than any other SMPS, and its improved output will be of zero benefit to the our piece.

--Alex C.

I know you've said it's of no benefit to your upcoming special-power-sauce-supply, but the iFi is supposed to be quieter than the typical SMPS. That's on the power side, then? So the AC-mains side is just as noisy as most other SMPS?

Can't a guy or gal get something, anything, for nothing in this hobby? (And where are the audiophile-grade hearing aids?)

Looking forward to your unveiling...

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Alex, what do you suggest instead of the ifi and that is available now and not costing arms and legs ?

Hi Mikey:

Thanks for clarifying that. I do have a programmable DC load machine (use it to torture-test JS-2s!), so I could put my 9V iPower SMPS wart on it and see how it holds up for a couple of hours at 2A continuos. Might be a bit stressful for it, but I am willing to sacrifice in the name of science--and to verify if it will be okay to use to power our new supply.

--Alex C.

I am interested in the result of your proposed stress test, however I agree that the iPower probably isn't the very best option for use in combo with the MPS.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Don't know about shipping, but we intend to end the "mystery" of the tech and post pictures by the end of this week. Am trying to get the rest of my biz and e-mail under control first as I know there will be lots of chatter and questions.

So we should have some interesting stuff to read this weekend?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Don't know about shipping, but we intend to end the "mystery" of the tech and post pictures by the end of this week. Am trying to get the rest of my biz and e-mail under control first as I know there will be lots of chatter and questions.

Alex,

I hope you start a new thread to "end the mystery". This one is kind of 'crusty' :)