IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IF it's only on the output side of the SMPS, I can't see how it can do too much about the RF/EMI that this and most other consumer grade SMPS plugpacks dump back into the AC mains supply.

You are right SandyK. And while SMPS dump high frequency noise back into the mains, most all conventional linear supplies (transformer/diodes/caps/regulator) put a lot of low frequency spikes back into the AC and flatten the sine wave a bit too. (Our big choke-filtered JS-2 does not do so--at least not the spike part for sure, I forgot what John told me about top of sine draw with it.)

So yes, the mystery PS product in development--whose primary purpose is to provide very clean and isolated DC to the REGEN (with a switch for 5V out too)--will not, if itself powered by an SMPS (7.5-12V/2A min.), address the issue of what that SMPS dumps back into the house line.

So for those people who have a system sensitive to all SMPS, there will be THIRD product, a rather radical little linear, just for feeding the new PS--that draws current through the whole cycle and does not affect the mains at all. Inspiration on some kooky-clever, never before done way of doing this came to John during a 3-hour phone session we had Friday night.

Sorry to be vague, but once again, another never before done (for any PS, audio or otherwise AFAIK) concept came from his amazing brain and is the sort of valuable IP that we don't want to talk about until we put it in a product for all to see/hear. Spelling out the concept means spelling out the circuits--not a wise business practice.

[Though we did have a long talk about making some other designs public for both DIY and OEM licensing. Some of what we will be doing in the next year with power supplies is really bigger than just ourselves, and selling some core enabling circuits for this to be scaled in a multitude of ways makes good sense. While a whole line of products can come from this--enough to consume the energies (pardon the pun) of a small firm--we have broader plans and we can neither keep these power things entirely to ourselves, nor do we want to. So circuit licensing and boards may be the best release valve that does not just give everything away for free nor wait for others to copy.]

Of course with nothing announced and shown, all the above might just sound like blowhard posturing so I don't expect anyone to believe or understand the magnitude of the impact I think some of these innovations could have on power supply thinking and practice across the audio equipment spectrum.

We knew in advance that the REGEN was going to do what we expected, and before selling it I did not make over-the-top claims (in fact I tried to keep user expectations low because I was not sure if others would hear what we heard in our own systems). And we all know how that story turned out.

So regardless of the sonic benefits of what we are working on (heck, neither John or I have even heard it yet, he is just sending off for the prototype boards to be made), I promise you that the concepts and execution are 100% unique and most everyone will say WTF with a big grin. ;)

Needless to say, it is a VERY exciting time for John and me. And we are grateful to all the REGEN and JS-2 buyers making possible the development and production of more terrific toys to take your audio systems further. As I have said before, life is too short to bother putting our resources into something that does not make people go WOW. It is MUCH more fun to defy expectations and hit the ball "out of the park."

Good night.

--Alex C.

If ever there was a thread proving that audiophilia nervosa should be a listed psychological disease, this one is it :)!

Endless speculation and desire for an as yet non existant product, that none of know what it is, and can't really judge if we'd even want one....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Alex C

In the meantime, we hope to try the attached in comparison with the supplied 7.5V SMPS plugpack with Audiophile Neuroscience's Amber Regen when it arrives in several weeks time. No, it won't be in competition with your unique gadget, just purely DIY for those who can't afford the best from John and yourself.(grin)

It can't help with RF/EMI going back into the A.C. mains either , unfortunately.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

I changed 1 resistor value to give around 7.7V instead of the original +6V selection.

Another use for a single JLH PSU add-on PCB. | Rock Grotto

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Posted this in the listnening impressions thread - should have done so here.

Alex, you mentioned this new gizmo would accept up to 12V. Am curious to know whether it can input 12V and output 9V (or 7.5V) to the Regen (since I understand the Regen should not be connected to 12V if the DAC's USB input is not self-powered) ?

Alex, you mentioned this new gizmo would accept up to 12V. Am curious to know whether it can input 12V and output 9V (or 7.5V) to the Regen (since I understand the Regen should not be connected to 12V if the DAC's USB input is not self-powered) ?

Yes, output from the device will be 7.5V regardless of the input voltage. (Actually, plan is to have output switchable to offer 5V too, just to widen possible sale audience and application beyond just the REGEN.)

Nope. Not in the least. 180-degree different direction. Not a filter; Not a battery; Not a like anything currently available. :)

Please don't guess. Just wait and be surprised.

Thanks.

With this answer, I am not just surprised, I am shocked, really.

Would this work with a REGEN: Bakoon Satri Battery Power Supply?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

If ever there was a thread proving that audiophilia nervosa should be a listed psychological disease, this one is it :)!

Endless speculation and desire for an as yet non existant product, that none of know what it is, and can't really judge if we'd even want one....

Dinner table, 1960s:

Mom (standing behind us): "Who wants some of this?"

My younger brother (shooting bolt upright out of his chair): "I want it! I want it!" (then more quietly) "What is it?"

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Nope. Not in the least. 180-degree different direction. Not a filter; Not a battery; Not a like anything currently available. :)

Please don't guess. Just wait and be surprised.

Thanks.

With this answer, I am not just surprised, I am shocked, really.

For the first time, it can be revealed:

chia mrt.jpg

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

"I pity the fool who don't eat my cereal!"

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

"I pity the fool who don't eat my cereal!"

Completely horrible joke - IF TASTELESSNESS OFFENDS YOU, RUN AWAY!:

Two famous people shot in the back of the head in a theater: Abe Lincoln, and the guy sitting in front of Pee Wee Herman.

Hi guys

as my english si very poor, i understand nothing about Superdad says.

Mistery add-on ?

i've just order this PSU for my Amber REGEN (Alex says on another post that it will work fine)

30W DC9V HiFi Linear Power Supply Regulated PSU for DAC Amp Digital Display | eBay

regards

pascal

Windows PC server/ Target PC Diretta / Audirvana/ DAC W4S 10th anniversary/ Jadis DA60 / Wilson Audio Sophia 

Is this new compared to REGEN? If so whats the price?

There is no product yet. The thread has posts by Regen fans who are eager to speculate about limited information Alex Crespi has mentioned about this new potential product possibly/probably available fall-ish. Since it doesn't exist yet, yes, it will be newer than the Regen. No firm price yet - will leave it to Alex if he cares to ballpark anything.

Thanks for the reply. I talked to him by phone about 3 days ago and said orders are filled up thru July for the Basic REGEN. I haven't ordered yet. Got to sale my old 23" apple ZMonitor yet to get the cash.

Wow, you're special...you got a phone call with him. Darn.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thanks for the reply. I talked to him by phone about 3 days ago and said orders are filled up thru July for the Basic REGEN. I haven't ordered yet. Got to sale my old 23" apple ZMonitor yet to get the cash.

The projected/potential product is not a new kind of Regen but an add-on to the Regen's power supply (either the power supply that ships with the Regen or another you provide yourself). There is no Regen other than what you refer to as the "Basic" one.