IGNORED

Live Jazz in Europe

I just got back from a week in Germany (around Frankfurt and Tubingen/Reutlingen). I tried looking up live jazz venues but as is normal most performances were scheduled for weekends. Since my trip was for during the week I missed out. However I would like to start a thread on recommendations for jazz venues in Germany and other European destinations that might benefit fellow CA members.

Clearly there is an outstanding jazz scene all over Europe that would be great to explore. Would be great to get some recommendations from CA members for great jazz venues or events coming up this year.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Paris: New Morning, Sunset, Sunside, Duc des Lombards

Berlin: A-Trane, Quasimodo, b-flat

Hamburg: Birdland

Zürich: Moods

Thanks! Will look them up.

I see a lot of events taking place in some cities. Google translate does a decent job but I'm not sure if these are special interest 'music groups' or jazz societies. Still it's fascinating to see the amount of jazz in many places - very high quality usually.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

London has Ronnie Scott's of course. Also there is the Jazz Cafe in Camden area and in Soho / West End Pizza Express Jazz Cafe.

Not always the most classic of jazz, but some intersting performances.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

London has Ronnie Scott's of course. Also there is the Jazz Cafe in Camden area and in Soho / West End Pizza Express Jazz Cafe.

Not always the most classic of jazz, but some intersting performances.

Thanks for that. I had forgotten about London - somehow did not picture a jazz scene there.

Of course there must be one and it would be great to find out more. My last visit was in 2000!

There is a chance I may make a visit sometime this year but my work is in the Gloucester area.

Italy has a vibrant live jazz scene. Discovering it is not so easy. If you are thinking about coming to hear some good music in Italy just message me and I'll put together a program.

david

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Italy has a vibrant live jazz scene. Discovering it is not so easy. If you are thinking about coming to hear some good music in Italy just message me and I'll put together a program.

david

David thanks. That's a very generous offer.

Where in Italy are you located?

North Sea Jazz Festival

Official Line up, News & Tickets - Port of Rotterdam North Sea Jazz Festival

This has become a pretty large event with some big names playing.

A few friends went over last year and will be going this year as well.

Tickets have been sold out for a while. Massive show with crowds of 60,000 - 75,000.

Ciao, Nikhil

I live in a very small city called Ovada, 35 km north of Genova (on the border of Liguria and Piemonte). No biryani... but we do have the best pesto in the world!

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Ciao, Nikhil

I live in a very small city called Ovada, 35 km north of Genova (on the border of Liguria and Piemonte). No biryani... but we do have the best pesto in the world!

Mille grazie David! Maybe one day soon ...

When you are looking for a more intimate format of a jazz festival, I suggest Ystad Sweden Jazz Festival

In the south of Sweden, the small town of Ystad – of Kurt Wallander Scandinavian crime series fame – is set to welcome many of the big names of the jazz world. Check it out at www.ystadjazz.se

Thanks for that. Looks like a pretty good lineup!