IGNORED

Updated to Yosemite, no sound or playback via DAC

In preparing to subscribe to Tidal and Roon, Updated my Mac-mini to Yosemite. No I have playback through my DAC even though it shows as the output path in my OS preferences. Audirvana won't even initiate playback, just sits there. Is this an update related issue I am unknowledgeable about?

Dwight Heil

You shouldn't have any problems with the upgrade. Have you fixed permissions and cleaned caches? I usually do this with a program called Cocktail whenever I update a program. Would you clarify what the problem is a bit more?

I just installed Yosemite on a new partition and tried to replicate your issue. (I had been holding back because of other reports of anomolies.) Everything worked fine right out of the box.

My guess is that you have a driver for your DAC and it needs to be updated. (I use a Halide Bridge which uses its own embedded firmware.)

What DAC (or other device) are you trying to use?

I've only used it for a few minutes, but so far everything works, including the Dirac plug-in (beta) for Audirvana.

Well, I'm sure you did this, but under System Preferences and Sound make sure you have selected your audio output device.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I just installed Yosemite on a new partition and tried to replicate your issue. (I had been holding back because of other reports of anomolies.) Everything worked fine right out of the box.

My guess is that you have a driver for your DAC and it needs to be updated. (I use a Halide Bridge which uses its own embedded firmware.)

What DAC (or other device) are you trying to use?

I've only used it for a few minutes, but so far everything works, including the Dirac plug-in (beta) for Audirvana.

I've never heard of a Mac needing a driver for a USB DAC. Are there actually some brands/models that require them?

Were I the OP, I'd try fixing the Permissions using the Disk Utility App in the Utilities folder. I've seen "broken" permissions screw up some mighty strange things!

George

I've never heard of a Mac needing a driver for a USB DAC. Are there actually some brands/models that require them?

Were I the OP, I'd try fixing the Permissions using the Disk Utility App in the Utilities folder. I've seen "broken" permissions screw up some mighty strange things!

Yes, many DACs require Mac drivers. These are DACs that are NOT UAC2 compliant (stands for USB Audio Class 2, and should not be confused with USB 2.0 connectors). If a DAC requires a Mac driver then it is likely not renderer friendly (Aurender, Aries, etc). However, on the flip side, often these DACs have custom drivers that allow for special processing not often found on Mac, like ASIO for DSD256, etc.

Yes, many DACs require Mac drivers. These are DACs that are NOT UAC2 compliant (stands for USB Audio Class 2, and should not be confused with USB 2.0 connectors). If a DAC requires a Mac driver then it is likely not renderer friendly (Aurender, Aries, etc). However, on the flip side, often these DACs have custom drivers that allow for special processing not often found on Mac, like ASIO for DSD256, etc.

Thanks for the info. I've never run across one of these. I guess that I can see how DSD or ASIO support might require a special driver.

George

I wish the computer audio hobby was more user friendly. The driver curse is still alive and well. Plug and play is still a dream.

With Macs, it's less of a "dream" than with Windows or Linux. I have never added a piece of hardware to a Mac running OS X where I had to install a driver. Even for printers, and scanners and certainly for no DAC I have ever connected to it.

George

With Macs, it's less of a "dream" than with Windows or Linux. I have never added a piece of hardware to a Mac running OS X where I had to install a driver. Even for printers, and scanners and certainly for no DAC I have ever connected to it.

Yes, but it does happen. I will not repeat my tiresome tale of woe, but it did happen to me and others a few OS X "upgrades" ago.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law