IGNORED

File Sync Program

I keep my files on 2 external drives. One for playback, the other for backup. I had been using SyncToy to sync the files so that the backup matches the playback drive but I find that it doesn't work well (leaves otherwise deleted files behind on the back up drive, for instance.) Can anyone recommend a program to do what SyncToy should be doing?

Thanks.

I keep my files on 2 external drives. One for playback, the other for backup. I had been using SyncToy to sync the files so that the backup matches the playback drive but I find that it doesn't work well (leaves otherwise deleted files behind on the back up drive, for instance.) Can anyone recommend a program to do what SyncToy should be doing?Thanks.
I've been using Allway Sync Pro for a number of years with good success. It has a number of options and settings that can be saved as different tabs. I use it to sync all of my drives with digital music. I also use it as a sync for data. With that, you can change the settings so that deletions will be propagated across to the target drive - meaning that all of the accumulated dross from multiple backups over time will be deleted so that both drives or folders will be the same. If you have a 64 bit operating system be sure to download the 64 bit version.

There is a free version of the program for personal use. I bought the Pro version because I use it at work.

I've tried a few others and went back to SyncToy, sounds like you have it setup for "Echo", which only copies left to right (which is what I do as well).

I should probably put this in a seperate thread but I also use Checksum to validate files on my primary and backup drives. I have experienced a few corrupt files and now have this well managed by running a scheduled Checksum Verify every night at 3:00 AM, it takes about 30 minutes to verify 1 TB of data.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I've been using Allway Sync Pro for a number of years with good success. It has a number of options and settings that can be saved as different tabs. I use it to sync all of my drives with digital music. I also use it as a sync for data. With that, you can change the settings so that deletions will be propagated across to the target drive - meaning that all of the accumulated dross from multiple backups over time will be deleted so that both drives or folders will be the same. If you have a 64 bit operating system be sure to download the 64 bit version.

There is a free version of the program for personal use. I bought the Pro version because I use it at work.

I use the same program - it's easy to use and works well. The free version is fine, but if you have a really large library or backup frequently the license will run out - it is limited to some absolute amount of files that accumulates each time you use it till you reach the maxout.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I've had no problems with SyncToy. As Jabs1542 says, you have to specifically instruct SyncToy to operate in full sync mode if you want deletions on the source drive to be reflected on the target drive. Many people prefer not to do that, so they have a backup in the case of an inadvertent deletion.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I keep my files on 2 external drives. One for playback, the other for backup. I had been using SyncToy to sync the files so that the backup matches the playback drive but I find that it doesn't work well (leaves otherwise deleted files behind on the back up drive, for instance.) Can anyone recommend a program to do what SyncToy should be doing?

Thanks.

You can use simple scheduling backup like Acronis. There impossibly conflicts due rules of synchronization.

You can use incremental backup (initial backup + changes pool). But me seems better each time do full backup.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Thanks.

which OS ?

For Mac OSX I am very happy with Carbon Copy Cloner, that is based on rsync.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

which OS ?

For Mac OSX I am very happy with Carbon Copy Cloner, that is based on rsync.

+1 CCC has many options, and will even mount volumes automatically as needed. I tried to update to Yosemite and got the dreaded white screen. I was able to very easily get back to exactly the same place I was the night before since I backup each night.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

At risk of adding one more option to a growing list, you might want to take a look at Scooter Software's Beyond Compare.

Excerpt from Scooter Software's website:

"Beyond Compare allows you to quickly and easily compare your files and folders. By using simple, powerful commands you can focus on the differences you're interested in and ignore those you're not. You can then merge the changes, synchronize your files, and generate reports for your records."

I am presently primarily using OSX, but for several decades I used Windows machines, and the heart of my usage centered around a dual pane file manager. Beyond Compare uses a similar strategy for folder/file comparison, so I was drawn to it due to its familiarity. The application has a multitude of powerful options and configuration choices, so it has an inherent learning curve one may not want to take the time to navigate.

I have only used its Folder Compare utility, but I like it very much and recommend it to anyone comfortable with a directory/file management approach.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

I have only used its Folder Compare utility, but I like it very much and recommend it to anyone comfortable with a directory/file management approach.

+ I also use Beyond Compare for a few years now to sync main library with backups. For audio it can detect changes, just mainly due to metadata alterations with FLAC. If there are problems with the files like corruption, it lets you know.

One major reason I keep using it, is due to the speed, it's 10-20 times faster than Robocopy or standard Windows copy. To copy 28,000 files 1.8TB something from scratch, 30% DSD takes about 6-8 hours even over a network.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

At risk of adding one more option to a growing list, you might want to take a look at Scooter Software's Beyond Compare.

Excerpt from Scooter Software's website:

"Beyond Compare allows you to quickly and easily compare your files and folders. By using simple, powerful commands you can focus on the differences you're interested in and ignore those you're not. You can then merge the changes, synchronize your files, and generate reports for your records."

I am presently primarily using OSX, but for several decades I used Windows machines, and the heart of my usage centered around a dual pane file manager. Beyond Compare uses a similar strategy for folder/file comparison, so I was drawn to it due to its familiarity. The application has a multitude of powerful options and configuration choices, so it has an inherent learning curve one may not want to take the time to navigate.

Downloaded and purchased, thanks for the recommendation. It is a very handy tool, particularly for finding diffs.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Downloaded and purchased, thanks for the recommendation. It is a very handy tool, particularly for finding diffs.

I agree. I'm retired now, but I worked as a programmer for many years and a text comparison utility was useful on occasion.

+ I also use Beyond Compare for a few years now to sync main library with backups. For audio it can detect changes, just mainly due to metadata alterations with FLAC. If there are problems with the files like corruption, it lets you know.

I thank you for mentioning Beyond Compare a couple of years ago. It was your recommendation that led me to the application.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking to give the Windows compatible ones a try.

One other question: When I switch to another program, am I better off running a fresh sync (to a reformatted and blank hard drive) or can the program be used, and function as expected, with the drives as they are?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking to give the Windows compatible ones a try.

FYI - Beyond Compare is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux machines.

If I were in doubt about how my current syncing program worked from a technical perspective, I would put aside my current backup drive and use whatever new program I chose to backup to a second clean, newly formatted drive.

Jim

I'm using iDrive now for local and cloud backup, but for a long while I used DSynchronize, a free utility for Windows, to mirror several directories across drives. It could be installed as a service and was instantaneous in its operation. It's not for everyone, but it's a fine, free solution:

Dimio's Tools

I should note, it saved my *a$$* when I inadvertently cooked the 4TB drive that had everything on it. I had DSynchronize set to mirror the folders I really cared about (music, docs, pictures, blurays) to my identical 4TB drive. I still lost a lot, but nothing all that important. One important caveat - it does not mirror changes to files, if the file exists in both places, it doesn't keep the mirror updated. That can be very important depending on the types of files you are trying to mirror, e.g. not a big deal for static files like media, but a huge deal for documents. Although if you like to manually tag media files, those changes wouldn't be mirrored. If nothing else, some food for thought as I don't know how other utilities handle that sort of use case.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

+1.

For backing up music libraries or other archives where new files are added but existing files are seldom deleted or modified, SyncBackPro can be configured to migrate new files from the working library to the backup automatically and to detect and report any differences that it finds. This warns the user that something has probably gone bad with the master copy of the library rather than trashing the backup copy automatically.

I've used almost every single one out of there and I keep coming back to Syncovery. It's just extremely powerful, very easy and very powerful (move shares, security, etc. between machines even). It will install as a service and keep things ready to role as you plug and remove drives. Never seems to miss a beat (I keep over 30TB in sync with it).

I think you'll really like the product and it's one of the few software packages I think is really worth the money!