IGNORED

Amarra SQ airport express problems (help)

Hi guys,

Im just after some advice if I can as Im not sure what I am doing wrong smile.png

I purchased amarra sq today as well as airfoil so that I can stream mog (or similar) to my airport express.

The sound is coming out of my system but its not changing when using the equalizer, and the music continues when amarra and the equilizer is turned to off. So it doesnt seem like its in the chain for some reason.

In air foil I have it currently set up as : sonicstream as the source and then airport express as the destination.

In amarra sq i have the built in output as the output ( i can also change this to sonicstream, but nothing changes also), and for the input i have sonic stream (as its the only preference).

I have heard nothing but good things about amarra, but so far not so good for me...including amarra and airfoil im out of pocket approx $80, which I know doesnt sound much but to me is quite a significant investment. So I'm hoping someone out there has a similar setup and can guide me as to what Im doing wrong or whats not working correctly.

Thanks

Chris

I'm not sure Amarra is supposed to work with Airfoil. The "Sonic Stream" you're selecting is anyhow only the input of Amarra SQ, so selecting it in Airfoil it is not surprising you don't get any of the Amarra SQ benefits.

I'd suggest you try to select "Airplay" in SQ, to direct SQ's output?

christopher_j .. here is a screenshot playing Spotify on my iPad through Airplay -> Airfoil Speakers -> Amarra sQ:

screen.png

I've selected Built-in Output in Amarra sQ obviously. Music is playing through my Schiit Bifrost DAC which is connected to Built-in Output via the Mac mini optical toslink connection (thus it is the default). Works great and yes, you should hear a difference when adjusting the EQ.

I was just using the airfoil before not the airfoil speakers, I just had a look at it then but all it selects is my imac, the apple express doesnt seem to show as an option to stream to.......

see my chain is imac to airport express ( as cant connect directly due to location) to schiit modi via optical and the finally to tube amplifier

No worries, its night time here...opposite brain is starting to fade:)

I havent used it with itunes at all, previous to getting amarra i have just been streaming directly from mog via airplay.

So should i get it working with itunes first then ? as other programs are picking it up on the same computer just not airfoil

Hey mate, yeah I did late last night, after your comments i read through my inputs and outputs, then checked airfoil.....and i had sonic stream selected which i thought was the right one, but then realised i could add amara the program as the source, after I did that......awesome, all worked a treat. Just need to find the time when everyones not home so i can mess around with the different equalizer settings etc and get it sounding how i like. Thanks again.

What do you set your equalizer to ? or do you have a custom setting ?

Excellent news! While I've messed with custom EQ somewhat, I've not been able to make it sound any better than the presets Sonic Studio designed. I favor acoustic, jazz, and (believe it or not) flat. The Amarra engine just sounds good to me. Best of luck.