IGNORED

W4S DSDse: DSD over AES? (Noob)

Hi all -- first post, total noob.

I have been trying to get DSD via AES/EBU into my W4S DSDse. Is DSD available via AES, or only USB on this DAC? So far, I've only been able to get DSD DoP to work, which shows AES/EBU 176k4 on the screen.

I'm running JRiver on a Win 7 machine with a Lynx AES16e board installed.

Any insights welcomed. Thank you in advance for sharing your time and expertise.

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

AFAIK only DoP is possible on SPDIF and AES and at only DSD64 rate.

I think it is because no DSD native protocol exists for these transports.

DSD rate is then limited by max. PCM rate of these transports, which is 192k.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Thank you bogi! Do you know if DoP is essentially identical to DSD for practical purposes? I have it working OK now with DoP and would be happy with that if these are comparable for all practical purposes. To the best of my "noob" knowledge, the JRiver site says that DoP is DSD "encapsulated in a PCM container." Is this OK, or is there some degradation going on that I should know about? Many thanks.

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

DoP and native DSD transfer the same DSD data, so the same DSD data comes to and is processed by DAC. It implies the same sound. The main differences are:

- Because of DSD data is encapsulated into PCM packets the amount of data transferred in the DoP mode is bigger. In the case of DSD64 or DSD128 it does not cause any issue, but higher DSD rates are not possible in DoP mode because of that overhead and limited USB bandwidth.

- It depends on DAC implementation as well as on software player implementation, but on switching between PCM and DSD tracks as well as on transitions between DSD tracks clicks or pops may occur more likely with DoP. It's because DAC knows only from incoming data that it has to switch the playback mode. No control channel exists with DoP to invoke such switching in advance before track playback starts.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Thank you, bogi, for this valuable information. It helps a lot. These were my first posts here and I got a lot out of it!