IGNORED

REGEN Amber Impressions

After going to Dave Mason's " Traffic Jam"concert last night, my buddy asked if I would take his Regen Amber home and burn it in. I already have the Green, so I jumped at the chance. The Amber is so much better! I know great bass has been reported, but it's more articulate WITH more body all the way to the highest note. Hand clapping will catch you off guard. I'm thinking my HP power supply is making a larger difference now. The Amber only has 12 hours on it, so things might settle. My point is if you own the Green, it's only 45 bucks. Don't think twice!

I was just concerned with the weight hanging off the USB input of the DAC and fashioned a temp solution and the post its are super handy (the diamond cable is already a bit heavy on its own). I would guess that "proper" isolation will yield benefit, but will worry about that later - the experience has been so positive that I can let the tweaks wait :)

My neighbor is an audio engineer and a woodworker, so we will get our geek on at some point.

I'm still waiting for July delivery of my Regen, but have a few small scraps of maple that I intend to use in as a support.

my buddy asked if I would take his Regen Amber home and burn it in.

I haven't noticed much, if any, comments from people about burn-in on either the Green or Amber Regen varieties. Yes, I know the Amber is still pretty new, but some have been running for enough time that you'd think someone might have noticed changes, if there are any. I'm beginning to suspect that this small device my not suffer much from burn-in.

Any observations ?

I haven't noticed much, if any, comments from people about burn-in on either the Green or Amber Regen varieties. Yes, I know the Amber is still pretty new, but some have been running for enough time that you'd think someone might have noticed changes, if there are any. I'm beginning to suspect that this small device my not suffer much from burn-in.

Any observations ?

While I have not been able to do any additional listening since I first had the Amber Regen installed I had noted in post of my initial listening impressions that there was an obvious and noticeable improvement after the first hour or two of inserting the Amber Regen in my system.

If I notice any additional changes once I can continue to do more listening I will report.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

I took my Regen Amber to a small gathering of audiophiles last night. We inserted it between a C.A.P.S. v2 server and an Oppo HA-1 headphone amp/DAC/pre-amp, which fed a First Watt J2 driving Zu speakers. The improvement made by the Regen was obvious, not subtle and unambiguously positive. I think 3-4 new sales were made last night.

Has anyone not heard an improvement with the Regen in any system configuration? Must be out there somewhere, but still…I’ve been in the hobby a long time and can’t recall any product that was universally a home run to the extent the Regen appears to be. Which suggests that John and Alex have solved a real problem with USB audio.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

I just completed the last procedure in my UpTone Audio revival of my system having successfully installed the MMK which replaces the factory power supply. Hooked up all the components and cabling, e.g., JS-2 to Outlet 2 for the Mac Mini, JS-2 Outlet 1 to the Regen Amber, and the fan controller sensor to deal with power pulse modulation of the Mac Mini fan.

You may imagine, I wondered if my system would start up and perform. Apparently, I am better at open heart surgery than I thought. Launched Amarra Symphony with iRC and my go-to favorite recording for testing, Bill Evans', The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1. I knew in seconds that something was very different. Allowing for all the subjective criteria to explain the differences, in my opinion, my system has changed in sonic sound quality dramatically and effortlessly. Never heard my system sound so gorgeous. The synergy of UpTone Audio's sonic rendition quality is marvelous consistent with many member's feedback that refers to clarity, smooth sound as in grunge removal, instruments sounding more realistic, greater resolution in the sense of natural sounding.

I am sure one gets the point of my communication. I am thoroughly enjoying the additions as many have already exclaimed.

Thank you Alex and John for great support, service and innovation. I took my time today installing the MMK, and found that the instructions and additional aids using iFixit.com were quite sufficient to successfully introduce a linear powered system and the results that flow from the JS-2 and Regen.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Richard,

Were you using the Regen before installing the MMK and JS-2? I'm curious to know how much incremental improvement the MMK delivers in the Regen Amber era.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Amber came in today's mail. Fresh and cold out of the box vs. the Green, yes, it was better, though not overwhelmingly so. I noticed the bass was tighter (more string plucks and intonation) and a little more present; voices a little more detailed and a bit larger sound stage around them (though themselves well localized).

We'll see about burn-in in days to come, but just warming up after being installed in the case has made a significant difference. Beautiful big panoramic soundstage where the production calls for it, with well localized instruments and vocals. Vocals clearer and more expressive than I've ever heard before, even on problematic stuff like some JJ Cale and Don Henley recordings. David Watkin's cello on the Bach Cello Suites and Jerry Douglas' dobro on Alison Krauss's recordings sound just like a cello and dobro should. And Justin Townes Earle's flat plaintive drawl that's playing right now is heartbreaking.

We'll see what comes over the next 100 hours. And meanwhile I realize I need another Mean Well for the Green!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Jud, I was wondering how you perceive the difference between the two of them ? Is the bass more profound ? Do you hear an overall better SQ ?

PS: I should receive mine somewhere next week. Our customs are stretching the delays a lot these days... At least listening to the green version is still a gift that I appreciate a lot :)

Alain

Hi Alain, I posted too soon by accident; the rest of what I meant to write is now there. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My girlfriend has redefined the sense of "leaving enough time for one to speak first before saying something"... I forget sometimes ;)

But thanks for your report :) It is mouth watering :) I can wait another week, but after I will put a stamp on my forehead and ship myself in the reverse direction to meet "my amber" wherever it will be ;)

Alain

My initial evaluation and comparison with different configurations are in a thread under the DAC header (therefore my earlier request for thread consolidation). I am not sure that I have observed any burn in effects (sounds f'ing great just OOB). Comparisons done with and without REGEN, REGEN with solid adaptor vs. Mapleshade Clearlink Plus, and two different USB cables from Mac Mini to REGEN (but this is in other thread).

My tendency is to describe phenomena analytically (never used the veil-lifting comment except in jest). As stated earlier: deeper bass, better instrument separation, more natural sound to instruments (I use acoustic guitar and violin as my test cases for this).

As an example (and one I recommend everyone perform) listening to "Don't Misunderstand" from Melody Gardot's brilliant new album "Currency of Man" (24/44.1). The bass on this song really benefits from the REGEN Amber (and my Adam Sub10 Mk2 subwoofer, of course). Nice clarity of her voice as well.

I should add that I switched the USB cable from Mac Mini to REGEN back to the LHL Lightspeed 2G (split cable). Sounds great with both Mapleshade and the LHL, but I feel a bit more at ease being able to have the power leg either on the LPS or unplugged after the handshake. Also the Mapleshade has had much longer burn-in time (for the believers), so I want to get the 2G some more hours to make a better comparison.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

By the way: These impressions are without optimization, since I am just finishing uploading my latest purchases from my external HDD to Amazon Cloud Drive at the same time I'm burning in the Amber. So Wi-Fi is going, HDD is connected and running, A+ is on shuffle with my tuned-by-ear filters, and it still sounds great.

I have found myself listening at lower levels lately. I figured it was just because I had become "sophisticated" in my listening thanks to the more recent upgrades to my system. Then my Regen amber showed up. plugged it in, rebooted my laptop, twice, then came the wonderful sweet sound. Now I'm back to cranking the volume past previous levels. My wife may not love you because of the volume, John and Alex; but I sure do.(and that's what the Mad Dog headphones are for!) Thanks for a wonderful product. I didn't think anything could match my SB Touch for sonic bang-for-the-buck; but I think you guys have done it

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Have you compared the Corning and the Mapleshade with the Amber?

By the way: These impressions are without optimization, since I am just finishing uploading my latest purchases from my external HDD to Amazon Cloud Drive at the same time I'm burning in the Amber. So Wi-Fi is going, HDD is connected and running, A+ is on shuffle with my tuned-by-ear filters, and it still sounds great.
Richard,

Were you using the Regen before installing the MMK and JS-2? I'm curious to know how much incremental improvement the MMK delivers in the Regen Amber era.

Hello Dan,

Yes, I started off using the Regen Amber using the Mean Well SMPS. There was an improvement that was clearly discernible. My time listening with just the Regen Amber powered by the SMPS was brief, about 90 minutes. My wife noticed the change in SQ as well, in fact, she was the first to comment on her assessment that Bill Evans piano sounded more like a piano should sound while listening to our system just prior to installing the Regen Amber. She also noticed that the Beatles' Rubber Soul Mono, redbook CD XLD conversion to AIFF, sounded less edgy after the Regen Amber was introduced. And she tolerated higher volume levels. Before the Regen Amber she asked me to lower the volume level from 38 to 30. After the Regen Amber, I raised the volume to 38, and she did not request that I lower the level. I made her aware that the higher volume was satisfactory as she had not requested I lower the volume. The SQ was much smoother, clarity improved. Instruments sounded more natural. Grunge was removed. I did not employ the JS-2 at all at that time. I merely plugged the JS-2 into power on to insure power on worked.

Mid morning today, Monday, I installed the MMK including the fan controller sensor. I then removed the Regen Amber's Mean Well SMPS and connected the Regen Amber to the JS-2. With my Mac Mini and Regen Amber powered by the JS-2 after installing the MMK, after powering "on" my Mac Mini, I checked to see that AMS recognized my Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 DSDse. I launched Amarra Symphony with iRC in Amarra mode (with iTunes versus Playlist mode without iTunes) and selected Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1, redbook CD XLD conversion to AIFF.

I could discern within seconds that something was "totally" different from Saturday's 90 minute listening session with just the Regen Amber/Mean Well SMPS. I was awed by the change in overall SQ by a considerable factor. The improvement was not subtle. I had never heard my system sonic signature sound as good as with the JS-2 powering the Mac Mini and Regen Amber and with the fan controller sensor set to "sense".

The improvement was extraordinary. I realize that my assertions are subjective. My comparisons were reflected by my wife as well. I would liken it to a "new" system I was hearing for the first time and was immediately taken with it. I assess sonic signature and sound quality both sensory specifically and feelings, e.g., what I hear auditorily and what I feel viscerally, and both my responses were highly enhanced. The characteristics I described earlier were greatly enhanced by several factors of augmented sense and feeling. And it was immediate.

The JS-2/MMK addition changed everything completely. The Regen Amber without the JS-2/MMK was better, BUT, nowhere close to what the synergy of all three together in concert (pun intended) produced. Ironically, I lowered the volume from 40 to 37. There was a clarity to the SQ. The instruments: Paul Motian's drums, cymbals, brushes; LaFaro's bass, strings striking against the fret, and Evans' piano sounded so much closer to real as I have ever heard in all the years I have been listening to this go-to recording. The audience conversation, conversations between Bill Evans and Paul and Scott were as if someone had turned up the volume (I had lowered the volume). Seriously, the instruments were presented in 3D (metaphorically speaking), like raising the resolution from 3D, to 4K with the Regen Amber to 5K with the JS-2/MMK/Regen Amber/fan controller sensor.

The price for this performance level is insignificant compared to the output. Recommended without any reservation. If there is a way to add the Regen Amber to my auxilary system, KEF X300A in my office/study, I will do it.

This is the emmis!

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Richard,

Dan, I had the MMK and JS-2 before I had the Regen (green then amber).

I was using a Paul Hynes SR12-3 power supply on my e20 MKIII DAC. After the MKK/JS-2 was powering my Mac Mini and my e20. It was a very nice improvement and I highly recommend both.

When the Regen (green) was added it was an obvious improvement (search for my impressions) on top of the MMK/JS-2.

And now the Regen Amber takes it to a new level.

Hope that helps.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

My Regen Amber arrived at my home today. It was there all smiling, waiting for me on my office desk. After quickly greeting the rest of the family, my wife says "well we know how you are spending your evening". Unpacking the 'little gem' from its box, getting hold of the pair of excellent DC cables Alex had made up for me complete with Y-connector. It took me less than 3 minutes to have the amber attached in place of the green.....

just a quick impression - you can effortlessly listen right into the mix of whatever music is playing. Observations are consistent along the lines of what has previously been reported. The most noticeable aspect for me was:-

bass - deeper and more articulate

space - soundstage increased by about one third over the green

instrument timbres - are easily identified, more realistic textures, piano particularly impressive

downside - choose your recordings carefully, you can just as easily determine when it's wrong as when it's done right.

the differences between the green are easily discernible out of the box.....may report more, if I can, when the amber is broken in further.....

now the green regen is left all alone, unconnected, going cold.....it looks so sad.....:(

what if I connect it to the other end of my usb cable/Mac mini ?? ......I wonder......?

big thanks to Alex and John - gentlemen and scholars!

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

The Corning stopped working last week.

Since the Mapleshade was almost as good with the Green, I assume it would be better with the Amber. But I'm not going to buy another fragile Corning just to compare. I'll be using the credit for something else.

When my Amber Regen arrived last week I set it up with the Corning, Supra and Mapleshade USB cables.

FWIW, the Mapleshade stayed in my system. It seems to get along really well with the Amber.

oh no ! My replacement is over 2 weeks now and I thought it would now live for ever... (and I do love it)

The Corning stopped working last week.

Since the Mapleshade was almost as good with the Green, I assume it would be better with the Amber. But I'm not going to buy another fragile Corning just to compare. I'll be using the credit for something else.