IGNORED

Low voltage memory

Hi everyone

In thinking through the build for my music playback machine (based roughly on CAPS), I had a thought about the memory. Many boards support both low voltage and regular voltage memory. Is one, theoretically, inherently better than the other? I can imagine that low voltage memory would draw less power and thus would induce less jitter. At the same time, with low voltage pushing out ripple noise may be harder. I genuinly don't know. It could also be that it doesn't matter.

What is the opinion here? Does it matter which type you pick? And why?

Thanks!

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hi everyone

In thinking through the build for my music playback machine (based roughly on CAPS), I had a thought about the memory. Many boards support both low voltage and regular voltage memory. Is one, theoretically, inherently better than the other? I can imagine that low voltage memory would draw less power and thus would induce less jitter. At the same time, with low voltage pushing out ripple noise may be harder. I genuinly don't know. It could also be that it doesn't matter.

What is the opinion here? Does it matter which type you pick? And why?

Thanks!

Purely theoretical, no measurements to back it up, but lower voltage on the signals going to and from the RAM chips should decrease the amount of EMI inside the case. Whether that is important for audio purposes, who knows.

John S.

At the end of this month, we will be comparing SQ with HQP doing PCM to DSD with

- ECC on server board with Zeon

- Corsair DDR3 on H97M-D3H

- Paul Pang DDR3 on H97-D3H

in Munich we were using Corsair DDR3 on DH61DL

speculating

lower voltage

+ less noise

+ stabler power supply

- more errors

Look forward to your tests and experiences :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

At the end of this month, we will be comparing SQ with HQP doing PCM to DSD with

speculating

lower voltage

+ less noise

+ stabler power supply

- more errors

I can only afford to buy one set up. So, i have to rely on others in terms of their experience and theories :-)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

lower voltage

+ less noise

+ stabler power supply

- more errors

According to Puget sound, the reverse is true. Low voltage RAM is more stable than normal RAM, so your errors would decrease. The reason they give is that less power (lower voltage, same or less amperes) results in less heat.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Technology-Primer-Low-Voltage-RAM-150/

Not sure how solid these people are, but it is interesting.

Any chance you could a low voltage memory test to your scenarios?

does low voltage memory have the same power draw as normal voltage ram?

if it does, wouldnt that increase the current draw, thereby possibly having worse EMI?

It doesn't. Same amperes or less. Read it all here https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Technology-Primer-Low-Voltage-RAM-150/

speculating

lower voltage

+ less noise

+ stabler power supply

- more errors

I totally expect less noise and therefore greater SQ with the low voltage memory: less EMI/RFI + less ground plane noise.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels