IGNORED

Where do I get DSD music? How do I play it?

I'm broke ATM but I'm wondering if there is a free way to get DSD music played back on my PC which feeds my HIFI system?

I have a DSD capable DAC (TEAC UD 301) and I'd like to hear some DSD. Can I play it with Foobar or some other free software?

Where do I get the DSD music? Is it available for free via some of the darker channels on the internet?

I do pay for music, via my TIDAL subscription, and I have no problem paying for high quality DSD files, but I'd like to hear one or three for free on my system first to see if the added quality is worth the investment on my entry level system.

Thanks.

This site has some free DSD tracks you can try, Native DSD Music

Also Blue Coast Records provides free samplers.

As to darker channels on the Internet and such, I wouldn't expect many folks around here advocating that path.

Also you can try a Google search for "free DSD downloads" for some other sites, beyond just Native DSD and Blue Coast Records, including Channel Classic Records.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Which of the three sites are you referring to? All three that I listed above provide free downloads of DSD tracks. However most of the content on all three requires payment.

Or or go to Acoustic Sounds. They too have DSD downloads. Pick an artist and album you like and buy a download so you can determine whether you wish to purchase additional content.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Which of the three sites are you referring to? All three that I listed above provide free downloads of DSD tracks. However most of the content on all three requires payment.

Or or go to Acoustic Sounds. They too have DSD downloads. Pick an artist and album you like and buy a download so you can determine whether you wish to purchase additional content.

Hoooollly crappp DSD sounds amazing!

Thanks man. You've opened my eyes to a new world. I can't believe the SACD format never caught on. It's so superior...

Thanks man. You've opened my eyes to a new world. I can't believe the SACD format never caught on. It's so superior...

... and the hand begins to dig even deeper into the pocket... :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Hehe.

Also check the JustListen section on nativedsd.com

Additionally, see the Oppo website as well as the exaSound one and look for David Elias.

DSD128 and above are rather wonderful.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I have to say, JRiver is quite exceptional, as is the DSD format. I got some DSF and DFF files. Not sure what the DSD rate was on them, but they sounded spectacular. Pink Floyd especially was just amazing.

I'm sure that if I had a "real" HIFI setup it would sound even better, but I must get by with my entry level pleb stereo for the time being. I will check out David Elias when I am next infront of the media PC. I've been ousted by the wife who has company over.

Cuz DSD played back as files thru a quality Dac sounds BETTER than SACD. I think the encryption on SACD buggered up the playback.

Cuz DSD played back as files thru a quality Dac sounds BETTER than SACD. I think the encryption on SACD buggered up the playback.

SACD discs are still being released. Often albums that are unavailable as DSD Downloads. Definitely worth checking out.

I'm broke ATM but I'm wondering if there is a free way to get DSD music played back on my PC which feeds my HIFI system?

I have a DSD capable DAC (TEAC UD 301) and I'd like to hear some DSD. Can I play it with Foobar or some other free software?

Where do I get the DSD music? Is it available for free via some of the darker channels on the internet?

I do pay for music, via my TIDAL subscription, and I have no problem paying for high quality DSD files, but I'd like to hear one or three for free on my system first to see if the added quality is worth the investment on my entry level system.

Thanks.

Try acousticsounds.com, nativedsd.com, and others mentioned elsewhere.

You can also rip from your own SACDs, but that's a labor of love - requires specific outdated Sony PS3 unit + a mod to the software in the unit, etc etc.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Try acousticsounds.com

Make that superhirez.com.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I have to say, JRiver is quite exceptional

You haven't heard anything yet then => HQ Player.

There's 2L.no in the right-most menu -> Test Bench HD files which has some DSD files although converted from the DXD recordings. They sound great too.

You haven't heard anything yet then => HQ Player.

Or Amarra, or Audivarna, or Minimserver.....

Jriver, by his soapboxing, is very adamant that JRiver sounds no different than iTunes or Windows Media Player, which are free and do not crash when the wind changes.

HQPlayer is better than JRiver? Can it handle video as well?

Yes and no.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

PROBLEM!!! :P

So when I play DSD, even 256 rate DSD, my DAC (TEAC UD 301) only lights up 96KHZ and when I check the ASIO bridge I'm only getting 96KHZ there as well. Should I not be getting 2-5ish MHZ not KHZ? Something is wrong and I don't know how to fix it.

Thoughts?

What did you do to make this change? What player? What is your ASIO bridge? I ask cuz earlier you said

and

I have to say, JRiver is quite exceptional, as is the DSD format. I got some DSF and DFF files. Not sure what the DSD rate was on them, but they sounded spectacular. Pink Floyd especially was just amazing.

Check the DSP screen of JRiver and make sure it is not downsampling. Make sure bitstream is set in JRIver audio setup. Sounds it it was and now, for some reason, isn't?

Yes, mentioned above already. And, as mentioned, they are PCM-based, not native DSD. The FLAC DXD versions are more the native ones.

What did you do to make this change? What player? What is your ASIO bridge? I ask cuz earlier you said

and

Check the DSP screen of JRiver and make sure it is not downsampling. Make sure bitstream is set in JRIver audio setup. Sounds it it was and now, for some reason, isn't?

I didn't do anything to set to 96KHZ it just did it by itself when I played a DSD track in HQPlayer. When I play in JRiver it stays at 44.1KHZ.

Can you explain to me how to fix this? TEAC UD301 through VB AUDIO ASIO Bridge using the TEAC's ASIO driver. I have not tried with ASIO4ALL.