IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

lmitche:

Thank you for your response. I understand what you are doing, but do not have enough experience to see if that will be better than what we are doing with a fiber switch as jabbr explained. Let us know how it goes, but I think we all agree that converting from copper to fiber LAN has provided a big step forward.

jabbr:

I read somewhere you are trying to add a dual port fiber NIC in NAA, is that for network booting? What is the model number for that NIC. I see a few on ebay.

I'm trying a few different cards to check things out. My workstation type machine has an Intel x520-DA2 (dual SFP+) which works great. I also have an i350 based Intel (dual 1gbs) which has a PCI-e x1 interface. I also picked up both a Mellanox Connectx-2 single port and dual port cards -- these are crazy cheap on ebay.

I've been trying to get network booting working with a VMWare client and this involves some black magic. I'm going to try getting either of the cards working using PXE boot/iSCSI but getting that ready for prime time might be more of a project than most people would want to undertake. The advantage is that the SATA interface as well as onboard Ethernet and onboard USB (assuming PPA card) could all be turned entirely off in BIOS making for a very very quiet NAA.

There is another issue regarding micro ATX vs mini ITX boards and cases. Micro ATX is substantially larger case but allows direct connections between motherboard and low profile PCIe cards. Mini ITX requires, essentially, flexible PCI-e extenders to enable use of 2 PCI-e cards, one for PPA USB V2 and the other for fiberoptic NIC. Looking at building a 12V/5V choke input filtered LPS *inside* the microATX case (essentially where the ATX power supply would fit and then further back where the disc drives and DVD bay are).

This shows the difference in size:

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Here is a link to the single SFP ConnectX-2

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Thanks jabbr. I knew you are working on this project. Let us know how it goes. I will be interested, and I think few more people here.

I sure need to have a fiber NIC in NAA, don't know if I can get network boot implemented, but will see what all is involved.

Please take some pictures of the inside layout of the NAA for our reference.

An interesting and very welcome discovery tonight, playing HQPlayer with the loaner TP Link switch in place........I can upsample DSD64 to DSD256 (with convolution) now, whereas earlier tries with the NAA setup (NAS was not yet on fiber and switch was copper D-Link connected to FMCs) produced hiccups until I turned off convolution. I gotta assume that either throughput is somehow enhanced or less noise causes HQPlayer to upsample easier?

Note: DSD128 to DSD256, although better than before, is still unlistenable (hiccups every few seconds) with convolution on, but it's not a big deal for me..I stay at DSD128 in that setup. In both cases I have the requisite pipeline SDM engaged.

And yes, with Jussi pioneering this (what else is new) Jabbr and Eurodriver are the leaders here...kudos guys! Getting more fiber in our musical diets is very good for, er, um, reducing noise? Sorry...analogy got too weird. :)

Just measured my CPU usage when upsampling to DSD512. Previously (using mobo Intel Ethernet) was ~300% now ~250%. So I think this may very well be attributed to using a better Ethernet card (CPU offloading).

That's very funny... so yes fiber causes less hiccups :)

I planned on putting my optical network together this weekend, but my fiber patch cables didn't arrive due to a weather delay. I installed the Mellanox fiber network card in my Win 10 PC in the meantime, but I have a question. I have the Diablo 8 port SFP switch and I was planning on using a port for the link to my NAA, a port to my Win 10 PC and a port to my NAS. I have a wireless router, which handles my incoming Internet and other devices. I planned on plugging that into the sole Ethernet port on the Diablo, but would it be advantageous to use an FMC here to isolate it from the other devices or would the fact that the other devices on the Diablo are connected via fiber be good enough? Thanks.

Colin

I planned on putting my optical network together this weekend, but my fiber patch cables didn't arrive due to a weather delay. I installed the Mellanox fiber network card in my Win 10 PC in the meantime, but I have a question. I have the Diablo 8 port SFP switch and I was planning on using a port for the link to my NAA, a port to my Win 10 PC and a port to my NAS. I have a wireless router, which handles my incoming Internet and other devices. I planned on plugging that into the sole Ethernet port on the Diablo, but would it be advantageous to use an FMC here to isolate it from the other devices or would the fact that the other devices on the Diablo are connected via fiber be good enough? Thanks.

Colin

Colin: If you have an extra FMC, by all means, I plan on doing when I have an spare FMC (fiber NIC in NAA). If you read jabbr's post couple of posts above, he is saying that for complete isolation. But first you need to isolate the NAA, NAS, and HQPC.

Colin: If you have an extra FMC, by all means, I plan on doing when I have an spare FMC (fiber NIC in NAA). If you read jabbr's post couple of posts above, he is saying that for complete isolation. But first you need to isolate the NAA, NAS, and HQPC.

Thanks. Yes, that was my intention. I just wasn't sure if having an optical connection from the copper switch would bring much more to the table, but I guess it makes sense that it would. I was going to look at purchasing another Mellanox for my CAPS NAA server, which will free up an FMC, just like in your case.

Colin

Thanks. Yes, that was my intention. I just wasn't sure if having an optical connection from the copper switch would bring much more to the table, but I guess it makes sense that it would. I was going to look at purchasing another Mellanox for my CAPS NAA server, which will free up an FMC, just like in your case.

Colin

I do not know which CAPS you have but my Lagoon has only one PCIe, which is being taken up by JCAT USB. Waiting to see if Regen makes this USB useless (MOBO USB as good as this, so this can come out, I doubt this though). Then I can install fiber NIC in this lone PCIe, if not then will build NAA with ASRock Q1900m as jabbr is doing. My Regen should be first batch in July.

I do not know which CAPS you have but my Lagoon has only one PCIe, which is being taken up by JCAT USB. Waiting to see if Regen makes this USB useless (MOBO USB as good as this, so this can come out, I doubt this though). Then I can install fiber NIC in this lone PCIe, if not then will build NAA with ASRock Q1900m as jabbr is doing. My Regen should be first batch in July.

Actually, it's a CAPS v2, running WS2012 with AO, so only one PCI slot, not PCIe, and my SoTM Tx USB card uses that slot. Looks like I'll be moving in another direction with this server. I have the Regen Amber, but I haven't tried plugging my USB cable into a regular port as yet.

Colin

Actually, it's a CAPS v2, running WS2012 with AO, so only one PCI slot, not PCIe, and my SoTM Tx USB card uses that slot. Looks like I'll be moving in another direction with this server. I have the Regen Amber, but I haven't tried plugging my USB cable into a regular port as yet.

Colin

Looks like with that machine you will be using an FMC. That's really no problem because you should certainly hear a benefit.

Colin

If you get a chance, tell us if you hear a difference between regular USB vs SoTM with Regen Amber. I think we can use that information.

Hi,

I follow your discussion but the switches you're talking about with 8 SFP slots are oversized vs my needs.

I have a "standard" flat, not a 100 rooms castle like all of you ;-)

Thus I went through the product range of Diablo Cables, and found the right product for me => http://www.diablocable.com/dual-sfp-slot-media-converter-with-dual-1000m-ethernet-ports.html

I don't think you already talked about it.

Its features : 2 RJ45 inputs (auto-negociation 10/100/1000) + 2 SFP slot (for 1G SFPs).

It is only 125$ compared to 300$ for the 8 SFP slots switch.

and it fits to basic needs like mine.

My current setup :

a router, with wifi for multipurpose & DLNA app for hifi

on this router, I have connected on the RJ45 plugs of the switch part :

- NAS (Gb inteface)

- multipurpose computer for web/work/tv/streaming (Gb interface)

- a streamer (100Mb interface). Now the streamer is linked to the router thru 2 TPLinks MC110CS. Great sound improvement of course thanks to these FMCs.

My plan is the following in using this switch (dual SFP + dual RJ45) :

Router => RJ45 => 1st Gb RJ45 plug on the diablo switch. To link the switch to the web.

2nd RJ45 plug on the Diablo switch => the 2 TPLink MC110CS => streamer (working at 100Mb)

1st SFP slot (1Gb) => fiber => 1Gb FMC (a TPLink MC210CS I think because is cheap) => RJ45 => NAS

2nd SFP slot (1Gb) => fiber => 1Gb FMC (a TPLink MC210CS) => RJ45 => computer

I don't think I'll power this RJ45/optical switch & the 2 MC210CS with batteries.

I don't think it would be relevant because I guess the 2 FMCs MC110CS upstream the streamer are enough regarding SQ. Don't you think ?

On paper this setup looks nice. I guess it could bring something positive... but honestly, I don't know to which extend.

What do you think about this tiny switch ?

I think it is the right optical switch when you have a 100Mb streamer in your network, due to its auto-negociation capability (100Mb/1Gb).

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Hi,

I follow your discussion but the switches you're talking about with 8 SFP slots are oversized vs my needs.

I have a "standard" flat, not a 100 rooms castle like all of you ;-)

Thus I went through the product range of Diablo Cables, and found the right product for me => Dual SFP Slot Media Converter with Dual 1000M Ethernet Ports

I don't think you already talked about it.

Its features : 2 RJ45 inputs (auto-negociation 10/100/1000) + 2 SFP slot (for 1G SFPs).

It is only 125$ compared to 300$ for the 8 SFP slots switch.

and it fits to basic needs like mine.

My current setup :

a router, with wifi for multipurpose & DLNA app for hifi

on this router, I have connected on the RJ45 plugs of the switch part :

- NAS (Gb inteface)

- multipurpose computer for web/work/tv/streaming (Gb interface)

- a streamer (100Mb interface). Now the streamer is linked to the router thru 2 TPLinks MC110CS. Great sound improvement of course thanks to these FMCs.

My plan is the following in using this switch (dual SFP + dual RJ45) :

Router => RJ45 => 1st Gb RJ45 plug on the diablo switch. To link the switch to the web.

2nd RJ45 plug on the Diablo switch => the 2 TPLink MC110CS => streamer (working at 100Mb)

1st SFP slot (1Gb) => fiber => 1Gb FMC (a TPLink MC210CS I think because is cheap) => RJ45 => NAS

2nd SFP slot (1Gb) => fiber => 1Gb FMC (a TPLink MC210CS) => RJ45 => computer

I don't think I'll power this RJ45/optical switch & the 2 MC210CS with batteries.

I don't think it would be relevant because I guess the 2 FMCs MC110CS upstream the streamer are enough regarding SQ. Don't you think ?

On paper this setup looks nice. I guess it could bring something positive... but honestly, I don't know to which extend.

What do you think about this tiny switch ?

I think it is the right optical switch when you have a 100Mb streamer in your network, due to its auto-negociation capability (100Mb/1Gb).

Yes it looks like a nice little device.

ted_b ran into a problem with a 100base-T device. I don't think the Diablos do both 100 and 1000base-sx (optical). I believe his TP-Link FMC didn't upconvert 100 to 1000base-SX. A better bet would be the Trendnet FMC that more clearly indicates it will do this: TRENDnet | Products | TFC-1000MGA | 100/1000BASE-T to SFP Media Converter

If you do use the MC210CS, on the other end you will need a singlemode SFP (1000base-LX) and a duplex SC-SC to LC-LC singlemode fiber.

If you use a fiberoptic NIC with your computer you may see a significant improvement in CPU performance with workloads such as HQPlayer.

The other issue is that the 8 port Diablo is more expandable.

So, yes, you could do what you outline above but I think it will be a bit of work to configure, you will need to carefully spec out the parts and if you decide to upgrade you may not be able to reuse much of what you have. The main recommendation I would make would be to use the Trendnet FMC over the MC210CS (and then use duplex LC-LC to LC-LC cables).

But for some, more burps and farts. ;)

Back to work!

Pretty soon you will have people connecting 8 fiberoptic switches in series to get the ultimate isolation. Each will have its own redundant choke isolated power supply. Perhaps connect them in a ring so the packets can circle around a few thousand times before being emitted as perfect 1s and 0s :) :)

ted_b ran into a problem with a 100base-T device. I don't think the Diablos do both 100 and 1000base-sx (optical). I believe his TP-Link FMC didn't upconvert 100 to 1000base-SX. A better bet would be the Trendnet FMC that more clearly indicates it will do this: TRENDnet | Products | TFC-1000MGA | 100/1000BASE-T to SFP Media Converter

Hi,

I went through info on the net regarding SFP & negociation. Apparently, on a switch with SFP & RJ45 port for instance, speed between the SFP & the RJ45 port is the speed of the SFP.

Thus with a 1Gb SFP, you will get 1Gb speed at the RJ45 output of the switch.

Could you please tell me if the following stupid idea is stupid or smart :

if you place a basic 5 ports RJ45 switch (10/100/1000base-T) between a bloody device running at 100Mb, and the optical switch with all its 1Gb SFPs.

then, the tiny basic switch will do the negociation between 1Gb RJ45 from the optical switch & the 100Mb device.

Thus, with a 15$ switch you solve the negociation issue linked to SFP constant speed.

Right or false ?...

If it works that fine.

We can argue that by adding a 5port switch, powered by a SMPS, the SQ will be affected.

I guess it won't be the case because in my setup for instance, the FMC bridge placed upstream my streamer (the downstream TPLink powered by battery) block all noise from all SMPS upstream (router, NAS etc). I say that because when I installed the FMC bridge, I had LPSU on NAS switch router ; and thanks to the FMCs, I could replace all LPSUs with their basic SMPS without loosing on the SQ. Then I sold all my LPSU, because totally useless with the FMCs.

Rgds

Hi,

I went through info on the net regarding SFP & negociation. Apparently, on a switch with SFP & RJ45 port for instance, speed between the SFP & the RJ45 port is the speed of the SFP.

at baseline yes, but there are switches and FMCs that can upconvert from 100Mb to 1Gb.

if you place a basic 5 ports RJ45 switch (10/100/1000base-T) between a bloody device running at 100Mb, and the optical switch with all its 1Gb SFPs.

then, the tiny basic switch will do the negociation between 1Gb RJ45 from the optical switch & the 100Mb device.

Thus, with a 15$ switch you solve the negociation issue linked to SFP constant speed.

Right or false ?...

Right.

As you are seeing it can get complicated and not everything works with everything unless you are very careful. That one of the main reasons I started this thread so we can document what actually works with what.

So my Diablo and iPower (9V) came today. I replaced the loaner TP Link switch (thanks again sig8) with the Diablo, powered by the iFi ipower 9V. There are four SFPs installed (3 Cisco and 1 Finisar). They connect to my Mellanox card (HQP pc), and three FMCs (TP Link MC220L) that connect to my Synology NAS, my NAA and my router.

I am using the lone RJ45 connector for my 100base Signature Rendu for now. I will report back when I set it back up and confirm that the Diablo's RJ45 port will do its 10/100/1000 thing for the Rendu.

Currently my router has 15 meters of copper Cat6A to the FMC, then 3 meters (need only 3 inches) of LC fiber to the Diablo (bought 3M for my Rendu but not using it, nor the FMC, so decided to go fiber from the router). My goal is to, instead, run 15M of fiber to the router, with a small .5meter copper umbilical from FMC to the router.

Just to complete this post: I bought Fibertronics LC-to-LC fiber cables from their webs store, and bought the SFPs and the Mellanox from eBay. I bought the FMCs from Amazon and the Diablo from their web store.

So my Diablo and iPower (9V) came today. I replaced the loaner TP Link switch (thanks again sig8) with the Diablo, powered by the iFi ipower 9V. There are four SFPs installed (3 Cisco and 1 Finisar). They connect to my Mellanox card (HQP pc), and three FMCs (TP Link MC220L) that connect to my Synology NAS, my NAA and my router.

I am using the lone RJ45 connector for my 100base Signature Rendu for now. I will report back when I set it back up and confirm that the Diablo's RJ45 port will do its 10/100/1000 thing for the Rendu.

Currently my router has 15 meters of copper Cat6A to the FMC, then 3 meters (need only 3 inches) of LC fiber to the Diablo (bought 3M for my Rendu but not using it, nor the FMC, so decided to go fiber from the router). My goal is to, instead, run 15M of fiber to the router, with a small .5meter copper umbilical from FMC to the router.

Just to complete this post: I bought Fibertronics LC-to-LC fiber cables from their webs store, and bought the SFPs and the Mellanox from eBay. I bought the FMCs from Amazon and the Diablo from their web store.

Thanks for the update.

If the Rendu was giving you a hardtime, you could try what I had to do on the streamer which was only recognized by the 100base FMC.

I ended up getting two TPLink MC110CS.

Hi,

Right or false ?...

If it works that fine.

We can argue that by adding a 5port switch, powered by a SMPS, the SQ will be affected.

I guess it won't be the case because in my setup for instance, the FMC bridge placed upstream my streamer (the downstream TPLink powered by battery) block all noise from all SMPS upstream (router, NAS etc). I say that because when I installed the FMC bridge, I had LPSU on NAS switch router ; and thanks to the FMCs, I could replace all LPSUs with their basic SMPS without loosing on the SQ. Then I sold all my LPSU, because totally useless with the FMCs.

Rgds

I reply to my own previous post => this post above was completly WRONG & CONFUSED due to big big confusion in my poor brain face to all these tricky names & specifications / SFP networking and so on !

Sorry if it raised confusion in some other brains ;-)

My concern is about nice commutation between 100Mb devices & 1Gb devices through fiber network in using a fiber switch & FMCs on devices sides.

A fiber switch must be 100Mb compliant in case you have a streamer in your network (most streamers have a 100Mb interface, not a 1Gb interface)

Last 2 days, I exchanged emails with someone from TPLink support team, now things are clearer to me (surely it is already clear for most of you, for the other hope it can help), these are the basic points to make it work.

There is (nearly) no issue regarding auto-negotiation when you have a mix of 100Mb & 1Gb devices in your network, except that you have to choose the right products).

I will take as an example a basic network :

- 1 Gb router, with RJ45 slots

- some devices to interconnected on the switch : some can run at 1Gb, some at 100Mb, all devices have RJ45 slots.

It runs nicely because RJ45 ports can manage data flow whatever the connected device "talks" at 100Mb or 1Gb.

Using a fiber switch is different because you can plug on a 100Mb SFP slot ONLY a device running at 100Mb, if your device runs at 1Gb you need a 1Gb SFP.

First you need to look at the specification of the switches to find the right one for your needs (everrything is there & clearly written) =>

Example 1 : the Diablo 18195

Its specification is there & clear => 8 Port SFP Optical Switch with Multimode SFP

look at the IEEE part :

802.z 1000BaseX <= BaseX stands for "fiber", 1000 means Gb

802.3 10BaseT <= BaseT stands for "copper RJ45 cable", 10 means 10Mb

802.3u 100BaseTX <= BaseTX stands for "copper RJ45 cable", 100 means 100Mb

802.3ab 1000BaseT <= BaseT stands for "copper RJ45 cable", 1000 means Gb

Thus, in other words it says about compatibility regarding the Diablo :

- it can manage only 1Gb flow through fiber. Thus, you have to buy & use only 1Gb SFPs for the Diablo

- it can manage 10 or 100 or 1000Mb device only its TP port (the RJ45 slot)

Exemple 2 : TL-SG2424 & TL-SG5412F ; features are equal, just the number of RJ45 slots & SFP slots is different. The SG2424 has 4 SFP slots, the SG5412F has 12 SFP slots.

Here is the specification of the SG2424 => 24-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with 4 Combo SFP Slots TL-SG2424 - Welcome to TP-LINK

Look at the "Interface" part :

24 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 Ports <= like most of RJ45 switch, you can plug on RJ45 slot devices that run at 10/100 or 1000Mb

(Auto Negotiation/Auto MDI/MDIX)

4 Combo 100/1000Mbps SFP Slots <= SFP slots can accept 100Mb SFPs (to communicate with a 100Mb device) OR 1000Mb SFPs to communicate with a 1000Mb device

Thus,

1. if you have only 1Gb devices to interconnect with fibers,

then you can buy the Diablo or a TPLink. Just buy 1Gb SFPs (and 1Gb FMCs on device side)

2. if you have 1Gb & 100Mb devices to interconnect with fibers,

ONLY the TPLinks will do the job, thanks to their 4 COMBO 100/1000Mbps SFP Slots.

then buy :

- 1Gb SFPs (and 1Gb FMCs on device side) to link the 1Gb devices to the switch on its SFP ports

- 100Mb SFPs (and 100Mb FMCs on device side) to link the 100Mb devices to the switch on its SFP ports

Sorry for this long post. Hope it helps

(I'm quite surprised it is so obvious & simple now, although I was confused last days...)

Rgds

Yes it's confusing without a doubt. Again, realize that "uplinks" exist to integrate 100m with 1g switches and 1g with 10g switches -- my main backbone is 10g and I use a 10g uplink from a 1g switch to integrate everything so I assure you it can work.

I've referenced the Trendnet FMC in an above email which advertises itself as doing 100m to 1g uplink.

Hi,

Summer sales => on a french retail web site last TPLink SG5412F was sold at 150eur. I took it.

Although Ted_b & Sig8 said that the Diablo sounds slightly better, I prefered to go with the TPLink : due to this good price, and because I need 100Mb compliance with my streamer.

The TPLink can manage 100mb, with a 100Mb SFP ; the Diablo can do only 1Gb through SFP, thus I should have used the RJ45 output with the Diablo... don't know if it is the right choice, We'll see.

Complete package (SFPs, fibers, MC220L) will follow within 1-2 weeks, then : the review.

Edit : Next to NAS & router & PC I'll put MC220Ls.

I'll power the MC220L next to the PC with a power bank.

Did someone put clean power supply on FMcs next to NAS & router too ? It leads to SQ improvement ? I guess this does not make sense since NAS & router generate quite a lot EMI on their own ; thus these 2 MC220L will use their SMPS.

hello tgb,

always looking for the best performance?

What are you experiencing?

giordy

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

hi Giordy60,

Like you I just experience the 2 MC110CS right now. Thus why not going further ;-)

not enough 100mb of data transfer? music.gif

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

not enough 100mb of data transfer? [ATTACH=CONFIG]19570[/ATTACH]

100mb may be fine for data transfer, the reason to go with 1Gb on new purchases is that 1Gb is more compatible with other equipment if/when you decide to use a switch etc.

I have this on the way: 8/9 ports Gigabit Ethernet Optical Fiber Switch with eight SFP ports-in Network Switches from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and so you see that LPS powerable, optical switch is very cost effective. I am pretty sure that this is the OEM version of the Diablo switch that people have had great results with.