IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

15 hours ago, wklie said:

A few days ago we had a Lumin X1 event at Volent Speaker Hong Kong office. The host played the same music after switching among copper LAN, multi-mode SFP, single-mode 1310nm SFP, and single-mode 1550nm SFP available from fs.com, and also cheap fiber vs Corning glass fiber.  The host and the guests agreed that different SFP modules sounded different.

There was no universal consensus on which sounds best, but I believe there are more people who preferred the 1310nm SFP to others.  People also preferred Corning glass fiber (but not easy to purchase in a usable terminated form).

Very nice!

Is Corning that hard to find? One of the biggest benefits is "ClearCurve" which is greatly flexible e.g. : https://www.ebay.com/itm/2m-LC-LC-Duplex-9-125um-Corning-ClearCurve-Single-Mode-Bend-Insensitive-Fiber/232757309843?hash=item36316ab193:g:9~QAAOSwzFVa7Oco

People could tell between 1310nm and 1550nm? Interesting... I've personally settled on 1310nm singlemode ... haven't extensively compared fs.com fiber vs Corning brand name (both work ;)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I would like to experiment with fiber optic and connect my switches - Netgear GS748t (house network backbone) to a Cisco C2960 8TS-JP (listening room). Would appreciate any advice to confirm I'm looking at the right parts:

https://www.fs.com/products/13282.html

https://www.fs.com/products/11774.html

https://www.fs.com/products/44158.html

I need less than 50ft of cable.

Also wondered if fiber optic internet provides any noise/isolation benefits versus cable/wire ?

I was recently connected to Telus's new PureFibre network for free but haven't subscribed. I depise Telus, but if it improves Tidal streaming it might be worth changing.

TIA!

Those look reasonable.

Better to err on side of cable being too long than too short.

Would doubt that fiberoptic internet to the home would provide significant SQ improvement considering that the networks are isolated. The most important connection is the connection closest to your DAC, and for example if you have a direct fiber input DAC then singlemode electronics (1310 nM) might be advisable. But who knows ;) 

Huh!?...

I ordered the supplies yesterday at 8:32 am. This morning at 12:49 am (?) I got the shipping notice & UPS Tracking #.  Package arrived at destination at 12:30pm (damn work). Basically the rest is plug and play and I'm now listening to an isolated fiber network connection.

First, massive props to Fiber Store, www.fs.com - Pretty sure that's the fastest delivery I've ever experienced.

I'm not sure I can offer any experienced comments, but I can play louder and it sounds much better now. Maybe that's all that really matters. Definitely worthy of the $40 investment. Thanks for the help and sharing! 

Well maybe I can offer this as a clearly audible improvement of my switch to fiber optic; I've been playing Higher Love by Steve Winwood alot lately (16/44.1). Not because it's particularly outstanding track, yet I've been persistently bothered by the cymbal work crumbling. Again, nothing special about the cymbal work, but it sounded like crud on my system. I've been testing various sheilding combinations with the Lush ^2 USB cable using this track as a reference. Even with other decent USB cables (Cardas & LH) nothing has tamed this problem. However, now the crumbling is gone and I'm listening to rather unspectacular cymbals - but they're whole again. Now I can relegate this track to the 80's dust bin and move on. Not sure if this is consistent with others experiences, but so far so good.

• 4 weeks later...

Off the chart clock on Fiberoptic Ethernet NIC

Solarflare SFN7322F ultra low latency, Stratum 3 clock SFP+ (10GbE) NIC

Solarflare are primo NICs even better than the Intel x520 ... these are the highest spec clock on any 10G NICs I know of. If precise clocks are audible check these out!

https://www.solarflare.com/Media/Default/PDFs/SF-111380-CD-LATEST_Solarflare_SFN7322F_Product_Brief.pdf

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Off the chart clock on Fiberoptic Ethernet NIC

Solarflare SFN7322F ultra low latency, Stratum 3 clock SFP+ (10GbE) NIC

Solarflare are primo NICs even better than the Intel x520 ... these are the highest spec clock on any 10G NICs I know of. If precise clocks are audible check these out!

https://www.solarflare.com/Media/Default/PDFs/SF-111380-CD-LATEST_Solarflare_SFN7322F_Product_Brief.pdf

Very cool...only $350 on eBay.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 2:34 AM, jabbr said:

There are many price points — I’ve suggested the ClearFog feeding USB at the low but excellent end — it would be interesting to compare this + ISO Regen vs one of the Rendu family using copper Ethernet. Still at the lower end particularly if you own a USB DAC.

Hi @jabbr

Unfortunately my ethernet feed comes into my listening room via ethernet-over-mains ?

No choice sadly

So by the time it gets to my endpoint I'm guessing it's pretty noisy (x2 switches, only one with iFi SMPS, plus the ethernet-over-mains gear and the ring main itself!!)

I'm toying with the idea of using FMCs between my nearest (gigabit) switch and the endpoint (<5m), so I have a couple of questions

In terms of performance for this setup does it matter particularly what spec the FMCs are (multimode vs single mode for example or 10/100 vs 10/100/1000)?

Does the ClearFog fare any better in terms of SMPS/SM regulator noise than a 'standard' FMC with an appropriate LPS? (I'm guessing not as it has a very wide input DC range) If not are you aware of any other ARM based or similar kit that could be used that doesn't have these issues (I'm happy to set any device up as a router in Linux)?

Many thanks for any help/advice

Neill

7 hours ago, User471 said:

Hi @jabbr

Unfortunately my ethernet feed comes into my listening room via ethernet-over-mains ?

No choice sadly

So by the time it gets to my endpoint I'm guessing it's pretty noisy (x2 switches, only one with iFi SMPS, plus the ethernet-over-mains gear and the ring main itself!!)

I'm toying with the idea of using FMCs between my nearest (gigabit) switch and the endpoint (<5m), so I have a couple of questions

In terms of performance for this setup does it matter particularly what spec the FMCs are (multimode vs single mode for example or 10/100 vs 10/100/1000)?

I haven’t done detailed testing of FMCs and aren’t still using but prefer the one with SFP port that way you can test out single vs multimode for yourself. 

7 hours ago, User471 said:

Does the ClearFog fare any better in terms of SMPS/SM regulator noise than a 'standard' FMC with an appropriate LPS? (I'm guessing not as it has a very wide input DC range) If not are you aware of any other ARM based or similar kit that could be used that doesn't have these issues (I'm happy to set any device up as a router in Linux)?

The ClearFog isn’t an FMC at all rather an Ethernet endpoint. It is unique in having an onboard SFP port. I power with an LPS.

There are other, more expensive devices with SFP(+) ports such as the MachiattoBin but I haven’t (yet) used.

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

The ClearFog isn’t an FMC at all rather an Ethernet endpoint. It is unique in having an onboard SFP port. I power with an LPS.

I appreciate that, but my plan was to run linux and use it as an FMC in effect (much as on our blog you describe using it as an endpoint, Ehernet in/USB out, I was planning on ethernet in/fiber out)

I already have an endpoint (ethernet in) I want to keep

Looking about it seems highly like that all the single board PCs/FMCs out there have some sort of SM regulation on the power circuits of the boards, I was enquiring if anybody knew of a board that hadn't

1 hour ago, User471 said:

Looking about it seems highly like that all the single board PCs/FMCs out there have some sort of SM regulation on the power circuits of the boards, I was enquiring if anybody knew of a board that hadn't

Unclear that onboard switchers are a problem where modern well designed power distribution networks mix and match. More unclear that dc-dc switchers are a problem in an FMC. 

The UpTone EtherRegen might have what you are looking for. @JohnSwenson would know if there are onboard DC-DC switchers.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

It's crazy but the bill-of-materials for the state-of-the-art power regulation in the EtherREGEN could come close to equalling the total cost for the Ethernet switches, magnetics, PHYs, clock synthesizers, XO, digital isolators, and high-speed low-jitter differential flip-flops!

I suspect this power design will benefit from other upcomming products from John ?

Maybe even be used in a possible upgrade of existing products.

If you like to go even more crazy, you can cover the radiating parts with mu-metal ?

That part will easily add between $100 and $200 itself to the BOM, not to mention the possible need for a larger case, with additinal cost of pakking and freight. 

Alex, do you see that some of your products in the future will move away from SMPS, and iclude AC as power input ?

Wouldn’t such an approach be the best technical solution?

But maybe the cost will be to high or ?

I have been using a pair of TP-Link MC200CM's for a couple of years to isolate the clean side of my system. These sound better to me than a straight ethernet connection to my switch.

They have one problem however. If I power cycle my endpoint for any reason the FMC's lose their link and do not automatically reestablish it when the endpoint boots up. I then have to re-plug the ethernet cable, sometimes many, many times, before the FMC's link up again. Once linked, they remain so until the endpoint reboots again.

Has anyone else seen this or know what the issue might be?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

afair if you are using two MCs those switches must be set to *Force*

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• 1 month later...