IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

Looking to improve my PS for the Trendnet...1A/5V. Would this Jameco be worthwhile?

DDU050100H4660: Jameco Reliapro : AC to DC Power Supply Wall Adapter Transformer Single Output 5 Volt 1 Amp 5 Watt : Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

Any other ideas? If a battery is the best alternative, I'd like one that charges while in use.

Thanks Guys

Chris

That's the model I've been using too. The Jameco work fine and are a nice improvement over the stock SMPS wallwarts my TP-Link FMCs came with. Also I think they are audibly superior to a pair of iFi 9V SMPS I tried, at a fifth the price.

Hope this helps.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

That's the model I've been using too. The Jameco work fine and are a nice improvement over the stock SMPS wallwarts my TP-Link FMCs came with. Also I think they are audibly superior to a pair of iFi 9V SMPS I tried, at a fifth the price.

That's fine. If John Swenson's idea about power supply leakage current is the most important factor then battery supplies should work really well.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Hope this helps.

Steve Z

Interesting Steve. My plan is to use the iFi 9v to power the LPS 1. So I'll get a Jameco to try with the Trendnet..or vice versa.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I have been happy with the Jameco. Some people do use phone battery packs also. IMO the Jameco was a clear improvement over the stock switcher so I did not bothered trying more esoteric supplies.

My comments on powering the TPLink units you recommended here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/overall-isolation-network-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-and-power-29916/index5.html#post594501

The phone battery charger pack while being charged with a Jameco 5v linear adapter is a bit better than either my DIY linears or the Jameco linear adapters. But even better is pure battery power with no concurrent charging.

In my setup it is noticeable, significant, and worthwhile. I won't put the battery setup in for casual listening, but when I'm going to sit down and listen, it goes in.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Any been able to get inside of one of the Tecknet PowerZen G3 batteries or know where that is described? I BET they use a switching regulator for the output and that it would sound better in our application with a linear one... and one MIGHT be able to configure it for different output voltages too!

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

My comments on powering the TPLink units you recommended here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/overall-isolation-network-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-and-power-29916/index5.html#post594501

The phone battery charger pack while being charged with a Jameco 5v linear adapter is a bit better than either my DIY linears or the Jameco linear adapters. But even better is pure battery power with no concurrent charging.

In my setup it is noticeable, significant, and worthwhile. I won't put the battery setup in for casual listening, but when I'm going to sit down and listen, it goes in.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Any been able to get inside of one of the Tecknet PowerZen G3 batteries or know where that is described? I BET they use a switching regulator for the output and that it would sound better in our application with a linear one... and one MIGHT be able to configure it for different output voltages too!

Here are some diy power banks that have multi- voltage, I wonder if they can be easily modified?

3.6V 5V 6V 9V 12V Mobile Power Bank Box USB 6 x 18650 Battery NEW | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3A-5V-21V-Mobile-power-bank-18650-Battery-Charger-For-19V-Laptop-5V-phone-B-W-/311429404933?var=&hash=item4882a39905:m:msFpc1K-WTazJDQFXvlu0kw

Hi,

I wish to connect an Macbook Pro to a Raspberry-Pi using fibre and was thinking of buying this switch/converter that would also allow the connection of a NAS to the MBP.

Would this be a good choice considering that I plan to feed my USB DAC with 24/352.8 and the eLan is only 100Mb/s?

[h=1]GXCOM GF1104S 10/100M Single Mode Dual Fiber Media Converter[/h]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I6AUPFK/

The price is quite attractive...

Cheers,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Hi,

I wish to connect an Macbook Pro to a Raspberry-Pi using fibre and was thinking of buying this switch/converter that would also allow the connection of a NAS to the MBP.

Would this be a good choice considering that I plan to feed my USB DAC with 24/352.8 and the eLan is only 100Mb/s?

GXCOM GF1104S 10/100M Single Mode Dual Fiber Media Converter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I6AUPFK/

The price is quite attractive...

Cheers,

Ricardo

Ricardo, I ended up buying a Cisco SG-300 and a DLink DGS1210. I wanted to a switch with at least 2 fiber ports so I could connect my HQP pc and NAA. In your case you have a direct connection between HQP and NAA so you do not need the second port but perhaps its good to have a second fiber port.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Ricardo, I ended up buying a Cisco SG-300 and a DLink DGS1210. I wanted to a switch with at least 2 fiber ports so I could connect my HQP pc and NAA. In your case you have a direct connection between HQP and NAA so you do not need the second port but perhaps its good to have a second fiber port.

Thanks, but the Cisco is a bit expensive for me.

Maybe I'll just buy a 5-port Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switch and a pair of TP-LINK Media Converters.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know about soundweb Ess MC-1 fiber media converter?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I think this is the BSS MC-1? Its listed as over $1700 and supports over 6.2miles of fiber, both definitely overkill for what we want.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I've installed a pair of MC200CM and 1m of OM4 fibre between my router/NAS and PC. All is working well but I'm using the stock power supplies. The info for the FMC says that a 5v or 9v supply can be used.

I've replaced the Meanwell PSU on my Regen with an LPS so this is now unused. What are your thoughts on using the 7.5v Meanwell PSU on the PC side FMC (the Meanwell measures 7.62v and the stock PSU 9.60V)? The voltage is between the upper and lower requirements of the FMC, however it has a higher amp rating at 2.93. Will the voltage be adequate or will the FMC draw more amps and overheat? I have plugged it in (as I wanted to see what would happen!) and everything works, but will it cause long term damage? the FMC gets no warmer than it's partner using the stock PSU.

I've installed a pair of MC200CM and 1m of OM4 fibre between my router/NAS and PC. All is working well but I'm using the stock power supplies. The info for the FMC says that a 5v or 9v supply can be used.

I've replaced the Meanwell PSU on my Regen with an LPS so this is now unused. What are your thoughts on using the 7.5v Meanwell PSU on the PC side FMC (the Meanwell measures 7.62v and the stock PSU 9.60V)? The voltage is between the upper and lower requirements of the FMC, however it has a higher amp rating at 2.93. Will the voltage be adequate or will the FMC draw more amps and overheat? I have plugged it in (as I wanted to see what would happen!) and everything works, but will it cause long term damage? the FMC gets no warmer than it's partner using the stock PSU.

Yes, you can use that power supply. The FMC will not will not draw more current than it needs.

So how does it sound?

Other components:

Well, I just saw an eBay listing 500GBP. Maybe long distance transmission means less signal loss and that is what we want for audio application.

I think given the very short distances we require for audio, any of the standard FMCs that have been listed in this thread should work fine. If you are worried about transmission lose use single mode fiber though I highly doubt there is any difference in sound given our application.

Other components:

I think given the very short distances we require for audio, any of the standard FMCs that have been listed in this thread should work fine. If you are worried about transmission lose use single mode fiber though I highly doubt there is any difference in sound given our application.

I will go for a switch with one SPF slot, RJ45 in and SPF out and connect to a FMC, finally RJ45 out and connect to MR. May I ask for your opinion please? Thanks.

I will go for a switch with one SPF slot, RJ45 in and SPF out and connect to a FMC, finally RJ45 out and connect to MR. May I ask for your opinion please? Thanks.

Thats exactly what I do..well almost. I use a switch that has 2 SPF out, 1 for HQPlayer and 1 for NAA. I did get a good improvement adding fiber right before the NAA or in your case MR. Adding fiber before HQP didnt improve anything that I could hear.

Other components:

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking about acquiring two optical nic cards. Do anyone have a recommended model for an i7-6700k machine?

I've always had good luck with the Intel x520 adapters -- just be sure it has the blue Yottamark sticker on the back -- not like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/262664348770

but for example this one has the sticker: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132017909389

Jabbr thanks for this. I was headed in the direction of Intel x520 and wanted to double check. I know there were experiments with other brands on the way.

There certainly are other good brands. Mellanox but the most affordable versions are getting a bit old in the tooth. There are some ultra low latency cards but really no benefit for our purposes. Intel has wide driver support etc although needs specific SFP modules...

• 5 weeks later...

After reading this post many months over and over again I finally understood all this FMC optical stuff and set it up with the last FMC feeding my Dac powered by the W4S PS 1, the problem was I got the wrong size barrel adapter to use so I took The FMC and PS 1 to my Electrical Engineer to fix the issue . Pictured is his fix, not only did he change out the FMC barrel adapter to the correct size he beefed up the power supply has you can see and wow did it sound good the only issue was the FMC at the front wasn't done and this caused major hick ups in the data packets. I then had the other FMC,s power supply done and the sound came alive with a clearer window into the music, transients were lighting fast along with incredible bass definition All with a total cost of $4.00.

IMG_1391.JPG

Hi,

I have a streamer that requires 100Mb, thus I have a FMC which does auto-negotiation : TrendNet TFC-1000MGA=> https://www.trendnet.com/products/gigabit-fiber-converter/TFC-1000MGA

My issue is that I face a 2nd fail of this TrendNEt (2 trenNet to the bin in 2 years time).

Question to anyone using a FMC which does autonego 100Mb/1000Mb : do you know a good & reliable FMC (& cheap if possible !)?

Many thanks

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

After reading this post many months over and over again I finally understood all this FMC optical stuff and set it up with the last FMC feeding my Dac powered by the W4S PS 1, the problem was I got the wrong size barrel adapter to use so I took The FMC and PS 1 to my Electrical Engineer to fix the issue . Pictured is his fix, not only did he change out the FMC barrel adapter to the correct size he beefed up the power supply has you can see and wow did it sound good the only issue was the FMC at the front wasn't done and this caused major hick ups in the data packets. I then had the other FMC,s power supply done and the sound came alive with a clearer window into the music, transients were lighting fast along with incredible bass definition All with a total cost of $4.00.

I want your electrician to mod my FMCs! I see you are in Saigon (sorry can't bring myself to say HDMI city). Heck at $4 it would still be a cheap upgrade even after shipping. So do you know exactly what was modded?

Other components: