IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

I have successfully used a gigabit ethernet connection between a Netgear Switch (1000base-T) to a TP-Link MC220L fiber media converter (FMC) over LC-LC Duplex OM3 fiber to MC220L to DN2800MT motherboard (NAA).

SFPs successfully used with MC220L:

Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL (supposed to be 10g but works ...)

GLX-SX-MM-TO (Cisco compatible labeled "iNet")

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Jabbr, what switch setting did you use for the two MC220L's (force or auto)? Who did you order the iPower from, and did they say it was shipping yet (I thought I heard mid-June)?

I have successfully used a gigabit ethernet connection between a Netgear Switch (1000base-T) to a TP-Link MC220L fiber media converter (FMC) over LC-LC Duplex OM3 fiber to MC220L to DN2800MT motherboard (NAA).

SFPs successfully used with MC220L:

Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL (supposed to be 10g but works ...)

GLX-SX-MM-TO (Cisco compatible labeled "iNet")

jabbr:

Could you please give a list of components needed to make an optical network, and what connects to what. Currently I am using a Cisco switch for a 2-pc HQ Player (HQPC and NAA) set up.

Thanks.

jabbr:

Could you please give a list of components needed to make an optical network, and what connects to what. Currently I am using a Cisco switch for a 2-pc HQ Player (HQPC and NAA) set up.

Thanks.

There's a lot of discussion of it over on Network Isolation thread. I got educated over the past week or so. The problem with drawing a diagram and listing components is that we don't have enough empirical evidence yet (for audio use). That's why jabbr set up this thread, so those of us trying this stuff could report back compatibilities, incompatibilities, etc. I have what I need to try phase one (except for the actual fiber cables, which arrive this week). I'm doing dual mode (lc-to-lc cabling, FMC's to convert copper ethernet to fiber). Next step is replacing ethernet switches with ones that also handle fiber (so fewer FMCs are needed) and even putting fiber PCIe cards in computers (again, to reduce FMC converters and keep everything cleaner). Jabbr has done most of this already.

Net/net (no pun intended) is to ask that question over on the Network Isolation thread, after maybe reading the last few pages of it, starting with Eurodrivers succesful launch. Leave this thread for success/failure reporting.

There's a lot of discussion of it over on Network Isolation thread. I got educated over the past week or so. The problem with drawing a diagram and listing components is that we don't have enough empirical evidence yet (for audio use). That's why jabbr set up this thread, so those of us trying this stuff could report back compatibilities, incompatibilities, etc. I have what I need to try phase one (except for the actual fiber cables, which arrive this week). I'm doing dual mode (lc-to-lc cabling, FMC's to convert copper ethernet to fiber). Next step is replacing ethernet switches with ones that also handle fiber (so fewer FMCs are needed) and even putting fiber PCIe cards in computers (again, to reduce FMC converters and keep everything cleaner). Jabbr has done most of this already.

Net/net (no pun intended) is to ask that question over on the Network Isolation thread, after maybe reading the last few pages of it, starting with Eurodrivers succesful launch. Leave this thread for success/failure reporting.

Ted: Yes, sure. I did some reading few weeks ago, will go back and try to understand little more, and see how it turns out. Thanks.

Ted: Yes, sure. I did some reading few weeks ago, will go back and try to understand little more, and see how it turns out. Thanks.

When you see "SFP" those are the inserts that go into switches and FMCs (they come "naked" or unconfigured) that the fiber cable plugs into. I bought 8 of them (dual mode lc-lc) from Ebay for $25. I'll report here if they work.

So far, I installed the Intel x520-da2 NIC into both a Ubuntu based NAS using the Intel ixgbe driver which I installed using the allow_unsupported_sfp=1 flag, as well as my OS X 10.10.3 desktop machine. I used the Small Tree driver for OS X. In order to get this working I used a FakePCIID.kext extension (you need FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext).

I'm going to start laying fiber -- these are 100m LC-LC duplex OM3 rated cabled I got off of ebay -- turned out to be Corning :)

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Running 4 cables from 2nd floor office to basement.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Inserted FMC's* into a simple home set up of control and audio pc (JPLAY/ AO ) with static IPs and direct ethernet connection. Local HDD and no NAS. Control PC is laptop with one ethernet port (to audio PC) and connects to router wirelessly for internet duties.

Wasn't able to connect with the FMC's in between PC's, so removed FMC's and tried to reconnect (desperate to hear music by then) but still wouldn't work. Tried the usual JPLAY troubleshoots, even different static and dynamic IP- not sure what I was doing wrong.

In desperation, changed to single pc mode with FMC's positioned in between cable router and one PC- hey presto- MUSIC.

First thing that hits you is deeper bass and a greater sense of ease. Music becomes more analogue and natural sounding. Amazing tweak for the money (more than a tweak actually) and highly recommended!

Not sure why FMC's wouldn't work in dual PC mode. Maybe I hadn't set up my static IPs correctly, even though the ones selected worked fine before inserting FMC's. Would appreciate any help with static IP set up.

*2 x MC 220L's, 2 x GLC-SX-MM 30-1301 (used), 1 x 50/125 LC-LC Duplex OM3. Using 1 x Teradak U9VA (set to 5V) to power one FMC.

Thanks to Jabbr for help with purchasing decisions.

Inserted FMC's* into a simple home set up of control and audio pc (JPLAY/ AO ) with static IPs and direct ethernet connection. Local HDD and no NAS. Control PC is laptop with one ethernet port (to audio PC) and connects to router wirelessly for internet duties.

Wasn't able to connect with the FMC's in between PC's, so removed FMC's and tried to reconnect (desperate to hear music by then) but still wouldn't work. Tried the usual JPLAY troubleshoots, even different static and dynamic IP- not sure what I was doing wrong.

In desperation, changed to single pc mode with FMC's positioned in between cable router and one PC- hey presto- MUSIC.

First thing that hits you is deeper bass and a greater sense of ease. Music becomes more analogue and natural sounding. Amazing tweak for the money (more than a tweak actually) and highly recommended!

Not sure why FMC's wouldn't work in dual PC mode. Maybe I hadn't set up my static IPs correctly, even though the ones selected worked fine before inserting FMC's. Would appreciate any help with static IP set up.

*2 x MC 220L's, 2 x GLC-SX-MM 30-1301 (used), 1 x 50/125 LC-LC Duplex OM3. Using 1 x Teradak U9VA (set to 5V) to power one FMC.

Thanks to Jabbr for help with purchasing decisions.

The FMCs take 9V, correct? So perhaps your Teradak set to 5v is causing a problem?

The FMCs take 9V, correct? So perhaps your Teradak set to 5v is causing a problem?

My FMCs (TP-Link MC220L) show they take either 9V or 5V, but not sure the 5V amperage. This is a big issue with me cuz I was planning on powering them with 5V/2A Anker batteries until I decide on full commitment, then will buy iPowers (9V) for each.

5V FMC.jpg

Just connected my 220L to an Anker Astro E5, and works fine. Not sure how many amps each Anker port outputs

The U9VA is variable up to 9V 1A from its 2.1mm DC output, but I used its (additional) 5V USB output instead. As Ted illustrated, the 220L manual says that 5V is okay, but doesn't mention amps.

Jabbr, the issues I had with dual pc cannot be anything to do with how the 220L's were powered because they worked when moved in front of single pc (with identical powering).

with my MC110CS power use 5V 2A and they work fine.

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

Just connected my 220L to an Anker Astro E5, and works fine. Not sure how many amps each Anker port outputs

The U9VA is variable up to 9V 1A from its 2.1mm DC output, but I used its (additional) 5V USB output instead. As Ted illustrated, the 220L manual says that 5V is okay, but doesn't mention amps.

Jabbr, the issues I had with dual pc cannot be anything to do with how the 220L's were powered because they worked when moved in front of single pc (with identical powering).

Right. I don't have that setup so its really hard to know. Your equipment is working (because you tested that). The network setup is a bit complicated where you have two networks that your control PC sits in between and connects to both. Since it wouldn't work even after you reconnected with copper directly, its more likely to be a network issue than something to do with the FMCs. One of the advantages of a fiberoptic switch is that it simplifies the network topology while retaining optical isolation.

The Anker ports in the first gen E4 and e5 are 1A and 2A. The second gen ones are supposedly up to 3A and self-detecting. I will use 5V/2A to be safe, with charger plugged in (cuz with SSDs, for example, I found no degradation leaving it plugged in).

Yes Jabbr, I'm sure it's an issue with my PC set up rather than FMC's, as you say. Will have another play around but am enjoying the single pc for a day or two (or three)

Mine's the second gen E5, Ted. Works fine.

Forgot to say, big thanks to Eurodriver for the original heads up on FMC's..

Success: The TP Link SG5412F is a great switch for the price. It is fanless & silent. It has 12 SFP 1 gigabit ports and 4 shared with RJ-45 so it is very flexible.

I've successfully connected using an Intel x520-DA2 card with an Intel SFP+. The TP Link is not picky about brands of SFP modules. Using some from Foundry Networks. I would say that the only disadvantage I see over the Diablo 8 port SFP switch it that the Diablo accepts a 9V input so much easier to LPS whereas the TP Link has an AC input.

Replaced my 3-4M copper run from switch to i7 server (HQplayer) with 2 FMCs (MC220L), a 3M run of LC-LC fiber and 2 SFPs (1M of copper at each end). Works fine, sounds great!! Way better noise floor than even the GISO isolation filter and good bonded Belden Cat 6A. The FMCs are currently powered by stock wallwart at switch end and Uptone JS-2's 2nd rail at server end. Plans to have both be Anker battery-powered, but not sure how much better it could get. And I assumed my biggest noise source was the 10M from switch to NAS. That is next (will either buy 2 more FMCs or just buy a fiber switch (Diablo, etc) and use what I have (one FMC on each).

Replaced my 3-4M copper run from switch to i7 server (HQplayer) with 2 FMCs (MC220L), a 3M run of LC-LC fiber and 2 SFPs (1M of copper at each end). Works fine, sounds great!! Way better noise floor than even the GISO isolation filter and good bonded Belden Cat 6A. The FMCs are currently powered by stock wallwart at switch end and Uptone JS-2's 2nd rail at server end. Plans to have both be Anker battery-powered, but not sure how much better it could get. And I assumed my biggest noise source was the 10M from switch to NAS. That is next (will either buy 2 more FMCs or just buy a fiber switch (Diablo, etc) and use what I have (one FMC on each).

Thanks for sharing. Any thoughts as to why it sounds better? Ever tried moving the NAS closer, or even a direct connection?

So far, I installed the Intel x520-da2 NIC into both a Ubuntu based NAS using the Intel ixgbe driver which I installed using the allow_unsupported_sfp=1 flag, as well as my OS X 10.10.3 desktop machine. I used the Small Tree driver for OS X. In order to get this working I used a FakePCIID.kext extension (you need FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext).

I'm going to start laying fiber -- these are 100m LC-LC duplex OM3 rated cabled I got off of ebay -- turned out to be Corning :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18987[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18988[/ATTACH]

Running 4 cables from 2nd floor office to basement.

Is your NAS a Synology? I saw that your NIC is supported on some of their NAS devices.

Is your NAS a Synology? I saw that your NIC is supported on some of their NAS devices.

My NAS is a low powered Xeon (E3-1265L) running Ubuntu/ZFS with an LSI 9300 SAS3 card and an Intel x520-DA2 card. The external SAS3 enclosures are from PC-Pitstop. I have an older NAS running openindiana/ZFS in a supermicro enclosure.