IGNORED

wireless headphones

Looking for 'the best'(if there is such a thing) wireless headphones just for music listening-live in old 1906 house with 1994 family room and open deck addition and house has 3 floors. Use Schiit Magni headphone amp with Gungnir-can wireless phones be used with the Magni or not and since 'line of sight' is a virtual impossibility will I be wasting money or is there an add on to boost the transmitter signal . Thanks

Looking for 'the best'(if there is such a thing) wireless headphones just for music listening-live in old 1906 house with 1994 family room and open deck addition and house has 3 floors. Use Schiit Magni headphone amp with Gungnir-can wireless phones be used with the Magni or not and since 'line of sight' is a virtual impossibility will I be wasting money or is there an add on to boost the transmitter signal . Thanks

The Senn RS series might do the trick. Look up hifiheadphonesUK and ask the store people by chat or email - they know those very well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@MG32 Sorry this is 2 years old but the RS-195s are great-BUT they are really 'line of sight' in their range ability so I have to run really long coiled HP wire from my DAC/HP amp/AVR to the control stand to listen on my deck but my house is very old with a 20 year old addition/deck.

bobbmd

I've had a number of wireless (Bluetooth) headphones now, both "over" ear (however they may fit) and the ear-canal type.  The recent v-moda Wireless2 are pretty good, but quite bassy, and B&O's low-cost H4 is also quite good, but also very bassy.  With those last two examples, the wired sound (using a cable) is nearly identical to the Bluetooth sound, which is NOT true of Bose's pricy QC-35, where the wired sound is inferior because the Bose DSP is turned off in passive mode.  In Bluetooth mode, the QC-35 is nearly neutral with just a modest bass emphasis, thanks to their built-in DSP for equalization.  As a rule, other brands and models coming on-line now are getting much better than previous Bluetooth headphones.

You have to manage expectations--ruthlessly--where Bluetooth headphones are concerned. The inherent limitations of Bluetooth etc.

That said, for what they are and what they cost, i am generally pretty pleased with my Powerbeats 3. They charge in just over an hour and are good for eight hours on a full charge. With an iOS device, the connection is instantaneous and rock solid. They commit almost none of the sins for which Beats in general are known. And with the right tips (I use Comply foam) they do a decent job of noise suppression when used as a phone headset.

Would I use them in any situation where my wired Noble Sage are a viable option? Heck no. But that's hardly a fair comparison.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant