IGNORED

New external sound card / DAC setup (400-500$ max)

Im considering getting a new sound card to replace my current EMU1820m card, as I am going to buy a new PC soon. The EMU card is great in every way, but connects using PCI. The new PC will be a laptop, so thats the problem really. PCI to USB adapters are expensive, so I am looking at new sound cards and external DACs instead. As I am doing alot of music production, I am leaning towards a sound card with a good DAC and good DSP - a nice headphone AMP is also a req. The EMU1820m is somewhat old, so I am guessing that todays equipment can match the EMU1820M at a lower cost (set me back about 500$ when I bought it back around 2005).

Main req:

- connects via USB (3.0 preferred)

- low latency DSP (on par with EMU1820m)

- great sound / DAC

- preferably runs ASIO (so used to controlling various sound sources in the EMU mixer

- cant go back now)

- integrated headphone AMP (although I might get a dedicated one if no perfect to my req. exists)

- some input options - not just output

If you guys have any suggestions on alternative solution ect. im all ears :)

My experience is that for $400-$500 you can get good DAC or good headamp, but the combination of DAC + headamp would be more about compromise. DACs with headamp in this price range are typically more oriented to DAC quality as not all users require headamp, or use headphones only occasionally. An example of products which are more oriented to headamp part of the combo are Augio-gd products, they always contain very good discrete headamp for the price.

In this price range many people here typically suggest you iFi Micro iDSD. My suggestion is Denon DA-300USB. I had the opportunity to test this Denon DAC and it sounded really well for the price. Both are more oriented to DAC section than to headamp. Both come with Windows ASIO drivers. iFi Micro iDSD is able to handle much higher sample rates over USB input.

I am unsure with your requirement "low latency DSP (on par with EMU1820m)". I don't do music production.

USB 3.0 isn't relevant requirement, because USB audio standards UAC1 and UAC2 don't transfer music at USB3.0 speeds. Transferring digital audio data to DAC is different thing than transefrring data to/from USB mass storage, different drivers and communication protocols are used.

You didn't mention what for headphones you use. For example DA-300USB isn't able to handle low sensitivity headphones, which require more power from headamp. In the case of headamp it may be reasonable to search for an used one.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
You didn't mention what for headphones you use. For example DA-300USB isn't able to handle low sensitivity headphones, which require more power from headamp. In the case of headamp it may be reasonable to search for an used one.

You are completely right - I should have mentioned it. I have the HD600s and the AKG701s (and a few more). I think many headphone amps integrated in sound cards will have a hard time handling the HD600, as these need alot of power to drive properly. I dont really use them anymore though - its mainly the AKG701s (best cans I've ever had/heard - wide soundstage, crisp separated highs, as well as a punchy dynamic bass-end - great for production).

I hear what your saying about the combo of both not being the best option - I guess I could stretch the budget a bit. The DAC is the main thing though, so I will be looking into the product you are recommending; Denon DA-300USB. will also look into iFi Micro iDSD.

Great input bogi - thanks a lot :)

Any other input will be very much appreciated

ifi micro iDSD is a really, really good choice for that price. I haven't kept up with some of the newer ones, but the iDSD is quite excellent and I heartily recommend it. I cannot speak to it being appropriate for sound mastering though. It is a very fun and listenable device, but it is not an absolute scalpel for dissecting every last nuance of detail from the music. But for this price it may be as good as you can do anyway.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

ifi micro iDSD is a really, really good choice for that price. I haven't kept up with some of the newer ones, but the iDSD is quite excellent and I heartily recommend it. I cannot speak to it being appropriate for sound mastering though. It is a very fun and listenable device, but it is not an absolute scalpel for dissecting every last nuance of detail from the music. But for this price it may be as good as you can do anyway.

i thought the miicro was over $500? I personally would try the teac, but under $500, i would suggest the KORG DS-100, because it comes with audiogate. I couldn't tell any difference between the nano idsd (i never tried the micro) and the korg, but the software made a HUGE difference.