IGNORED

Uptone Regen and your DAC. What DAC do you use?

On some other audio forums there have been questions/doubts on if the Regen would make a difference when used with a "quality" "properly" done USB DAC.

I believe it most certainly would.

So to ALL REGEN users I would ask of you to list your DAC and whether it made an improvement.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Resolution Audio Cantata. Can't use USB without the REGEN anymore. It's that simple.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I have been using the Regen with my Auralic Gemini 2000 ... I consider that a "quality" "properly" done USB DAC.

My systems are much more modest than most. Is it a Vega ? No. Still, it's an Auralic.

Improvement ... I consider it significant. Never really loved USB before (always been a die hard S/PDIF devotee).

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Reporting HERE

Mac Mini MMKed-> Transparent Performance USB -> Regen Green -> Geek Out 1K (Direct Coupled)

Awaiting FOR

Mac Mini MMKed (LPS) -> Transparent Performance USB -> Regen Amber (LPS)-> Geek Out 1K (Direct Coupled)

Regards Wayne

I've been using the usb input on my AMR CD-77 and I think there is a small improvement. I've done listening with and without and sometimes I've thought it was better and sometimes the same. I can't do any more checking because the usb input stopped working during one of the change-arounds. It is currently being repaired. A word of warning - be careful with the stress it places on the dac connection. I am yet to hear what is wrong and what caused it. I will probably get the amber board just to see.

Regen feeding an Audiophilleo 1 that runs on PurePower battery:

- makes an audible difference with Regen's stock PS

- makes a whole world of a difference powering the Regen from a LPS

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Regen feeding an Audiophilleo 1 that runs on PurePower battery:

- makes an audible difference with Regen's stock PS

- makes a whole world of a difference powering the Regen from a LPS

Really ? What kind of LPS ? Uptone audio ?

Mojo Audio Dac also here. Good improvement (more precision, crystal clear sound, no harshness at all), but I need to hear more to be sure...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Really ? What kind of LPS ? Uptone audio ?

yes, that's the one I'm using to power my Macmini and now the Regen too :)

have to say, though, my Audiophilleo is a Mk I

Mk II with improved galvanic isolation between in/out sections is out so... YMMV if you already have one of these

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

My UpTone JS2 is powering both MACMINI & REGEN.

I use a Totaldac USB cable to feed a Belcanto REFLINK. My dac is a Totaldac D1 tube.

REGEN is between the Totadac USB and the REFLINk of course.

Result is WAOUHHHHHH!!!!

better than all I've listened.

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

I guess I'm the only one struggling to hear a difference. I've attached my bedroom dac - a Matrix Quattro, and I am still not sure I can hear a difference. The one thing I am sure of is that I miss the sound of the AMR.

But I am using the brick as I don't have an LPS.

I am using a Benchmark II HGC and loving the sound that it along with my Regen makes. For those that have access to some throwaway usb cables try inserting a 3.3 ohm resistor in the ground wire. I took the worst sounding cable I had, inserted the resistor and transformed the sound once more.

Devialet 250. No fancy cables (yet) using the 6" cable that came with the Regen into the amp. Significant improvement. Trying to find a shorter A to B adapter so I can plug the Regen "directly" into the amp and keep the rear cover on.

Wavelength Audio Cosecant (denominator board / Amperex NOS 6GM8) with a Mojo Audio Joule II power supply and Locus Design Group Nucleus USB cable. The REGEN was a positive enhancement to my system and I will be sending my $45 for the update!

Cyril

"The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right." GK Chesterton

Mac Mini 5,1, SSD, A+, Vaughn Merlots, Wavelength Gemini (45), Wavelength Cosecant Denominator with Mojo-Audio Joule LPS, Blue Circle Music Ring, UpTone Audio REGEN (amber & green), audioquest JitterBug, Locus Design Group Nucleus USB Cable, Acoustic Zen Hologram Speaker Cables & Absolute Silver Interconnect Cables, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Sennheiser 650s with Moon-Audio Silver Dragon Cables, BDR cones & discs, all tubes by Andy @Vintage Tube Services

On some other audio forums there have been questions/doubts on if the Regen would make a difference when used with a "quality" "properly" done USB DAC.

I believe it most certainly would.

So to ALL REGEN users I would ask of you to list your DAC and whether it made an improvement.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

The audiogon forum guys think its only for jitter control, so they needed to be set straight. They were not aware that high signal integrity is the intermediary step to getting a reduction/elimination of packet noise which is inherent in USB data transmission.

Like Geoff/EuroDriver, I am immediately impressed on what it does on the Lampizator B7. DSD128 was already incredible and is now divine.

Mac Mini 2012>Regen Green>Lampizator Big 7. Big improvement.

Regen Green at Dac end marginal better than at Mac end.

Ifi USB/Ipurifier no longer used.

Upgrade to Amber is on and wondering where to put the Regen Green?

The Regen has a larger impact on the Headphone section, where the DAC is feeding Ifi ICan.

PS. Big 7 may be the best out there? er!!! GG lives on another planet.....

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

The chain is in my sig (though lacking the Regen I think, must update that).

More detail on the Semi-Customized DAC would probably be helpful for purposes of the thread.

It starts with later iterations of boards used in the Sonore exD DAC. Critically, the input will accept up to 352.8/384 PCM, and up to DSD128, allowing the user to bypass the DAC's internal interpolation filters and/or sigma-delta modulators. (In fact I've never once heard my DAC's internal interpolation filters.)

Hardware mods include Omega Mikro internal wiring at various points, and Omega Mikro output jacks; upgraded output caps (MusiCaps from Superdad's Uptone Audio); and snubbers of a John Swenson design on the transformer secondaries.

Playback uses one of four different interpolation-modulator chains:

- XXHighEnd on Windows 7 (Boot Camp install on MBP) with DAC internal delta-sigma modulator

- Audirvana+ on OS X Yosemite using iZotope SRC filters configured by ear and the graphic functions of an iZotope Rx trial, with DAC internal delta-sigma modulator

- HQPlayer on OS X Yosemite converting to DSD128 inline

- Audiophile Inventory ConverteR PROduce-RD converting to DSD128 offline and played back with Audirvana+ on OS X Yosemite

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.