IGNORED

Audioquest Jitterbug vs Uptone Regen?

Why would I be joking?

You're not joking. I just downloaded the "free" copy of Tone Magazine's May Issue which reviews the Jitterbug. As I am scheduled for delivery of one Regen Amber from the second batch whenever that should take place, I am unable to respond to your query. And after I receive my Regen Amber, I still won't be able as I do not intend to purchase the Jitterbug for comparison purposes. Perhaps Tone will review the Regen Amber at some time and provide you with their findings.

Best,

Richard

I don't know how the Jitterbug will compare directly. One ineteresting aspect of it is that Audioquest claims that even using one as a "holder" in an unused USB port on your PC will improve results. I'd certainly be willing to risk $50 to test that idea.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't know how the Jitterbug will compare directly. One ineteresting aspect of it is that Audioquest claims that even using one as a "holder" in an unused USB port on your PC will improve results. I'd certainly be willing to risk $50 to test that idea.

AudioStream at AudioQuest Jitterbug | AudioStream addresses this application with a short abstract about the Jitterbug. The review in Tone Magazine May Issue is more comprehensive.

I am looking forward to the time when I can assess the Regen Amber. Other products and applications are always of interest.

Best,

Richard

image.jpg

I have both a Jitterbug and a REGEN Amber on order. The REGEN should be shipping on June 10th. The Jitterbug will be shipping in "early summer". I'll report back.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

You're joking right?

I was perusing CA for information on the Jitterbug and crossed this thread. I thought... "Wow what an @ss." Then I spent a bunch of time reading the threads about the Regen. Heck, I wouldn't even bother trying a Jitterbug, just go straight to a Regen. Honestly, I have to give you credit for getting me to notice the Regen, so pat yourself on the back for me. Thanks!

So the magic is not in USB cables anymore:)

What next!

Everything matters. I'm happy to see innovation spurring improvements in sound quality.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I wrote this yesterday as a response to a post in the Munich thread, but didn't post it and think it goes better here:

It can just be a case of one being $49 and the other $175. I wouldn't expect it to work as well, and there sure seems more going on in build and concept in the Regen. The Regen is certainly drawing great reactions and as a CA reader, its provenance is certainly credible to me.

However, if like so many, your PC dac budget is more around $200 than $400 plus you're looking at buying even affordable quality connectors, too, having another "mainstream" option (also like the Schiit Wyrd) for potential SQ improvement in the much-discussed area of "cleaning up the usb signal" at that low price point is welcome.

It's easy to want/prefer the Regen based on its heritage and the accolades to date, but one can add (if it's worthy) this new AQ item to a <$200 dac and not be facing a choice like "do i buy the best approx $200 dac IMO and a Regen for $375 total, or at that point just buy the best $400 dac."

Likewise, if one already has or is buying an approx $200 dac and has to really parse expenditures to value returned, maybe putting $175 into a Regen to address usb noise isn't the best use of that much money, but putting $50 into this kind of option may be, and then getting that Supra (or whatever) cable and still be spending less.

I sure want to make it clear that I in no way am intending to undermine the seeming worth of Regen--I too would like one and love reading the posts of the people behind the product. I'm very grateful for their presence and I see myself quite likely to be a customer in the near-as-possible future.

• 2 weeks later...
They could have chosen a better name for it! Naming it after a phone for seniors seems a little odd.....

Wow. Do you really think there is (to borrow a piece of jargon from copyright law) a likelihood of confusion?

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

If I am reading the other threads correctly, the Regen is designed to reduce noise and improve data on the Dac. The Jitterbug (from what little info there is) is designed to reduce noise on the USB bus of your computer feeding the Dac. You would thus think that they could actually work in tandem, where the Jitterbug could provide further enhancement.

Any thoughts?

If I am reading the other threads correctly, the Regen is designed to reduce noise and improve data on the Dac. The Jitterbug (from what little info there is) is designed to reduce noise on the USB bus of your computer feeding the Dac. You would thus think that they could actually work in tandem, where the Jitterbug could provide further enhancement.

Any thoughts?

I listened to the Jitterbug with and without the Dragonfly at the Audioquest Nighthawk

booth in Newport this past weekend. ( source was Mac laptop)

I then tested using my own iPod as source again w & w/o dragonfly.

The Jitterbug is a no-brainer in positive improvement in USB line noise.

And for $49.00 I would guess that lots of dealers

will buy them in bulk and use them as premium/incentives.

Maybe results for speakers would be different than headphones, but I'd be surprised.

I would have bought several of them on the spot had they been for sale.

Lots of higher priced stuff is going to obsolete in another month/6 weeks......

Just imo.

Someone should do a shoot-out, Schiit vs ifi vs uptone vs audioquest

I already compared the Schiit Wyrd to the Regen and found the Regen superior. I think it is posted in the "listening" thread. That said, the most interesting thing about the jitterbug to me is that Audioquest claim it will improve SQ even if you plug it in to an unused USB port.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That said, the most interesting thing about the jitterbug to me is that Audioquest claim it will improve SQ even if you plug it in to an unused USB port.

Yes, it does really improve SQ, plugged in next port.

That said, the most interesting thing about the jitterbug to me is that Audioquest claim it will improve SQ even if you plug it in to an unused USB port.

Intriguing. What's the mechanism here, proper grounding?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

No, the device has little capacitor to filter noise from USB 5V. Even the dac is independent from USB power.

How does that explain the SQ improvement when the jitterbug is plugged in an unused USB Port?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I wrote this yesterday as a response to a post in the Munich thread, but didn't post it and think it goes better here:

It can just be a case of one being $49 and the other $175. I wouldn't expect it to work as well, and there sure seems more going on in build and concept in the Regen. The Regen is certainly drawing great reactions and as a CA reader, its provenance is certainly credible to me.

However, if like so many, your PC dac budget is more around $200 than $400 plus you're looking at buying even affordable quality connectors, too, having another "mainstream" option (also like the Schiit Wyrd) for potential SQ improvement in the much-discussed area of "cleaning up the usb signal" at that low price point is welcome.

It's easy to want/prefer the Regen based on its heritage and the accolades to date, but one can add (if it's worthy) this new AQ item to a <$200 dac and not be facing a choice like "do i buy the best approx $200 dac IMO and a Regen for $375 total, or at that point just buy the best $400 dac."

Likewise, if one already has or is buying an approx $200 dac and has to really parse expenditures to value returned, maybe putting $175 into a Regen to address usb noise isn't the best use of that much money, but putting $50 into this kind of option may be, and then getting that Supra (or whatever) cable and still be spending less.

I sure want to make it clear that I in no way am intending to undermine the seeming worth of Regen--I too would like one and love reading the posts of the people behind the product. I'm very grateful for their presence and I see myself quite likely to be a customer in the near-as-possible future.

You are right. There are options here. And choice is generally a good thing. Perhaps the two even compliment each other. The big takeaway from this is that you probably should not take the USB signal "as is", but need to treat it.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948