IGNORED

Buddy Holly - True Love Ways

I found this song while looking up a

on YouTube. Many of you Stateside would know this song from years gone by as a favorite "First Dance" song at weddings. All the info on this song is available on wikipedia (Link).

I knew Buddy Holly could sing but this song is something else. It just stopped me in my tracks the first time I played it on my setup. Buddy Holly was right there in my room the minute he starts singing. A good old 16/44.1 file is making a complete mockery of hires audio. What have we lost on our way to here?

... the extended version of the song, listeners can hear Holly preparing to sing. The audio starts with Norman Petty's wife (who also played on Buddy Holly's song "Everyday") saying "Yeah, we're rolling." A piano player and a tenor saxophone player start to play some notes, and Holly mutters "Okay," and clears his throat. The producer yells "Quiet, boys!" to everyone else in the room, and at the very end of the talkback, the producer says "Pitch, Ernie" to signal the piano player to give Holly his starting note, a B-flat. - (extract from wikipedia)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I have two Holly "Hits" collections - remasatered. Both sound fantastic. Especially the one called "From the Master Tapes".

I don't think there is any big mystery here. Lot's of jazz, classical and pop/rock recordings from around the late 50's sound great. Why?

Good equipment - by then really good analog mics and recording HW had been developed.

Basically simple recordings without too much post processing - made by people who knew how to get the most out of the equipment they had to work with.

I am just guessing - based on that intro and general knowledge - but I'd bet that this recording was done mostly or totally "live" in studio - not lots of tracks and overdubbing. So you're getting a simple, well done recording. No reason it shouldn't sound great.

Same reason the classical music recorded today basically this way from labels like Channel Classics (they aren't the only ones) sounds great. Same reason Barry Diament's recordings sound great.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I am just guessing - based on that intro and general knowledge - but I'd bet that this recording was done mostly or totally "live" in studio - not lots of tracks and overdubbing. So you're getting a simple, well done recording. No reason it shouldn't sound great.

Well done recording would be an understatement. There are about 16 musicians in that recording going by the info. Not one of them is out of place. Of course Holly's vocals are up front and center but they all just sound sublime.

"The session took place at the Pythian Temple on October 21, 1958. The personnel present on that day were as followed: Al Caiola on guitar, Sanford Block on bass, Ernie Hayes on piano, Doris Johnson on harp, Abraham Richman on sax and Clifford Leeman on drums, and Sylvan Shulman, Leo Kruczek, Leonard Posner, Irving Spice, Ray Free, Herbert Bourne, Julius Held & Paul Winter on violins, David Schwartz & Howar"

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I also have "From the Original Master Tapes." Found it in a used record store sharing a building with an audio store I was visiting. Cost me $3. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Buddy was an audio perfectionist without a doubt. He is truly my favorite guitarist of all time although he doesn't seem to make it up there on the lists of players. He was only 22 when he died in 1959, it's not like there were a ton of rock guitarists out there to look up to or learn from.

"The session took place at the Pythian Temple on October 21, 1958. The personnel present on that day were as followed: Al Caiola on guitar, Sanford Block on bass, Ernie Hayes on piano, Doris Johnson on harp, Abraham Richman on sax and Clifford Leeman on drums, and Sylvan Shulman, Leo Kruczek, Leonard Posner, Irving Spice, Ray Free, Herbert Bourne, Julius Held & Paul Winter on violins, David Schwartz & Howar"

Almost certainly all NYC studio musicians. I'm guessing Dick Jacobs was the arranger.

The guitarist, Al Caiola, is still alive, according to Wikipedia. Looks like during his active years, he played with about every American recording artist worth playing with.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

This may already be common knowledge but Buddy Holly - From the Original Master Tapes is the first compilation mastered by Steve Hoffman.

Glad to see this thread, this song is one of my favorite to put on when people are over, or any time really. Sublime!

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup