IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

I have an Yggy (late November build). The BNC connector on mine is identical to what is shown on Gungnir picture.

I was wondering why the Gungnir photo showed what is definitely a 75 ohm connector. Looks like this could be a case of a change of supplier of the connectors? It will be interesting to ascertain if the connector shown on the Yggy photo is the old or new type......

Watching this closely as I'm hoping to buy a Yggy in 2 or 3 month from now. Also does the BNC on the Yggy have no threads, why no washer and ring nut?

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Thanks for the info, which agrees with what I've recently been reading. Surely, the designers of the Yggy have the requisite knowledge to use a 75 Ohm connector, so the presence of a 50 Ohm connector is bizarre. I'll see what I can find out from Schiit.

I sent photos of the BNC on my Yggy to Schiit. Laura at customer service wants me to provide my address so she can send a repair authorisation and return shipment label. Wait till she sees I'm in Scotland!

I sent photos of the BNC on my Yggy to Schiit. Laura at customer service wants me to provide my address so she can send a repair authorisation and return shipment label. Wait till she sees I'm in Scotland!

So did she acknowledge that your unit has the wrong BNC?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

So did she acknowledge that your unit has the wrong BNC?

No. She wrote, "We would like to take a look at your Yggdrasil." However, since Schiit is willing to pay for the return after seeing my photos, I guess they have realized the BNC is wrong. Probably, the return will actually be via the UK distributor from where I purchased it.

No. She wrote, "We would like to take a look at your Yggdrasil." However, since Schiit is willing to pay for the return after seeing my photos, I guess they have realized the BNC is wrong. Probably, the return will actually be via the UK distributor from where I purchased it.

Unfortunately, I've to arrange shipment myself from Scotland to California, but the cost will be refunded. A lot of hassle for a wee connector.

Unfortunately, I've to arrange shipment myself from Scotland to California, but the cost will be refunded. A lot of hassle for a wee connector.

I wonder if Schiit would be willing to send you the BNC and have you do the fix? I cannot imagine it being very difficult? At most some soldering? At best there is some connector? I would much rather do this myself than be without my music for a few weeks.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I wonder if Schiit would be willing to send you the BNC and have you do the fix? I cannot imagine it being very difficult? At most some soldering? At best there is some connector? I would much rather do this myself than be without my music for a few weeks.

I still have my old DAC, so I'll still have music. I'll email Electromod (the company I bought the Yggy from) and see what they're willing to do. Their conditions state that customers have 5 days from date of delivery to report items that don't meet specification.

I'm guessing the connector is directly soldered to the PC board. So probably not something the average person can do without damaging the board. Multi layer boards are hard to rework without good soldering skills and the right equipment. I doubt they're just gonna send out parts to everyone and allow them to do their own repairs.

I still have my old DAC, so I'll still have music. I'll email Electromod (the company I bought the Yggy from) and see what they're willing to do. Their conditions state that customers have 5 days from date of delivery to report items that don't meet specification.

Great news! Electromod are arranging collection of the Yggy from my house and, here in the UK, will fit a new input board which is being sent from Schiit tonight.

Great news! Electromod are arranging collection of the Yggy from my house and, here in the UK, will fit a new input board which is being sent from Schiit tonight.

That's great news - I've been following your progress. Now I wish they would give an explanation on how this came about - is it an isolated incident or widespread?

That's great news - I've been following your progress. Now I wish they would give an explanation on how this came about - is it an isolated incident or widespread?

Widespread enough that the Schiit website photo is of the 50 ohm connector, if I remember that correctly?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was wondering why the Gungnir photo showed what is definitely a 75 ohm connector. Looks like this could be a case of a change of supplier of the connectors? It will be interesting to ascertain if the connector shown on the Yggy photo is the old or new type......

It turns out that Schiit was supplied with a bag of 50 ohm connectors by mistake. Shit happens :)

A special thanks to you, wanta911, for your timely post querying the images on the Schiit website.

It turns out that Schiit was supplied with a bag of 50 ohm connectors by mistake. Shit happens :)

A special thanks to you, wanta911, for your timely post querying the images on the Schiit website.

No problem, I'm glad it all worked out ?

I'm happy with my current DAC but the Yggy intrigues me and might be on the future buy list, which is why I was looking. I currently use a reclocker between my MiniDSP/Dirac DDRC-22D and DAC which does a great job and also has a BNC out, hence my scrutiny of the Yggy connection. If I do decide to pull the trigger I will ask the dealer to send a photo of the rear before going ahead, to make sure I don't get the wrong one.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Schiit to change the website photo.

Bummer. The Iggy I bought late last year has the 50 ohm connector. I sent Nick an email so we shall see what happens.

I looked on Head-Fi but there does not seem to be awareness of the issue yet.

I actually like the Iggy so much that last week I ordered and received a second one for my headphone system. Will have to check it in the morning.

I do not use the BNC input but feel it should be fixed in case I ever do...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I'd probably ignore the connector. I expect it sits so close to the input resistor that it would have no measurable effect on transmission quality and add negligible ground noise. If the connector were in the middle of the cable (as in a coupler) I would be more concerned. But it is a parts-specification failure.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I'd probably ignore the connector. I expect it sits so close to the input resistor that it would have no measurable effect on transmission quality and add negligible ground noise. If the connector were in the middle of the cable (as in a coupler) I would be more concerned. But it is a parts-specification failure.

Do the BNC plugs on 75 ohm cables actually fit the 50 ohm connector?