IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

Just curious why on a computer audiophile forum we are not talking about this DAC.

Over on Head-fi there are some pretty positive early reviews.... with under to roughly 160 hours in it's showing better... well everything over DACs a LOT more expensive... MSB Signature, TotalDAC, and others are being compared with early impressions (not broken in on the Yggdrasil) being close... very close to these DACs with some aspects already liked better.

Just curious if anyone here is on the order to get one or maybe someone has one and would like to share their impressions.

It's enough that I'm definitely thinking I'll upgrade from my NAD M51 (modified) to it as I've read two different people that said only after 6 hours of use the Yggdrasil is better in every aspect over the NAD M51... which well... that makes me want to get one. hee hee.

There's tons of hype around this DAC and so far... it sounds like, for the most part and most people, are saying that the DAC is everything the hype machine has made it out to be. Which I have to say is a pretty high standard! Of course there are reviews from people that claim no difference from the Schiit Modi Uber which is a fraction of the price. Which I have a little hard time believing that over the person(s) not being able to tell differences due to many different reasons.

I'm also interested in seeing how the USB3 module in it would compare to my (new) Mutec MC1.2 and MC-3+ Smart Clock combination. I'm betting I can get better out of these into the unit via AES than directly through USB into it. But who knows!

So let the discussions begin!!! :)

Interesting, I will be hearing one on Saturday co-located with my apparently obsolete Analog DAC.

Good one. That will give us a good idea of how much of a "giant killer" it is, if at all.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Because no one has heard one yet. Preferable, IMO, that the other thread should be used and not this new one, so we keep it on one thread.

Just curious why on a computer audiophile forum we are not talking about this DAC.

Over on Head-fi there are some pretty positive early reviews.... with under to roughly 160 hours in it's showing better... well everything over DACs a LOT more expensive... MSB Signature, TotalDAC, and others are being compared with early impressions (not broken in on the Yggdrasil) being close... very close to these DACs with some aspects already liked better.

Just curious if anyone here is on the order to get one or maybe someone has one and would like to share their impressions.

It's enough that I'm definitely thinking I'll upgrade from my NAD M51 (modified) to it as I've read two different people that said only after 6 hours of use the Yggdrasil is better in every aspect over the NAD M51... which well... that makes me want to get one. hee hee.

There's tons of hype around this DAC and so far... it sounds like, for the most part and most people, are saying that the DAC is everything the hype machine has made it out to be. Which I have to say is a pretty high standard! Of course there are reviews from people that claim no difference from the Schiit Modi Uber which is a fraction of the price. Which I have a little hard time believing that over the person(s) not being able to tell differences due to many different reasons.

I'm also interested in seeing how the USB3 module in it would compare to my (new) Mutec MC1.2 and MC-3+ Smart Clock combination. I'm betting I can get better out of these into the unit via AES than directly through USB into it. But who knows!

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

look up the page - it's already here.

First, let me preface by saying that I am certainly a potential owner for a Ygg if it really is leaps and bounds better than competitively priced stuff. That said, let the hype stay on head-fi. Last year it was the hugo that was the greatest, bestest dac ever that could beat-up dacs 10 times its size and price. All future dacs were going to have to be FPGA based to compete with the hugo and every other technology was supposed to be obsolete...you get the idea. I'd rather leave that kind of speculation on head-fi

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I have a yggy with just 30 hrs. on it. It sounds good so far but will reserve judgement till it's been on for a week.

I will compare it to two other R2R Dacs that I have, Theta DSPro Gen VA and Sonic Frontiers SFD-2, MkII.

I have a yggy with just 30 hrs. on it. It sounds good so far but will reserve judgement till it's been on for a week.

I will compare it to two other R2R Dacs that I have, Theta DSPro Gen VA and Sonic Frontiers SFD-2, MkII.

You are in for a pleasant surprise around 160 hours on. ?

Interesting, I will be hearing one on Saturday co-located with my apparently obsolete Analog DAC.

Just let you know people saying yggy needs at least 160 hours of warm-up to be in full potential.

I am not so sure if I want to buy this DAC or not even if it is the best. I am already quite satisfied with their former TOTL DAC Gungnir already.

Over at head-fi they are definitely putting the DAC through it's paces. It's enough that it's making me think about getting it... There's just the slightest thing that drives me nuts thinking you have to keep it on all the time. WKHanna, who is on here, would benefit from upgrading his Gungnir to the Yggdrasil since he leaves his dac on all the time.

I am thinking I want to get it, but I want to get a better preamp with balanced inputs first (or second)... who knows. I'm just so spoiled with the volume control in the M51 that it's tough for me to get rid of it.

I am liking the fact that there's a handful of people putting the DAC through it's paces against many that are 4x as much. I might just get it to have a 2nd DAC... you can't have too many right? I had been thinking about the Bricasti M1 or Total Dac or just get the Devialet 400 and be done....

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a lot more disposable income to test all these to see what fits best in our systems? :)

Just let you know people saying yggy needs at least 160 hours of warm-up to be in full potential.

I am not so sure if I want to buy this DAC or not even if it is the best. I am already quite satisfied with their former TOTL DAC Gungnir already.

I was not aware of the 160 hours of warm up ( as opposed to burn in), I heard it again today but only 72 hours since it was last powered down for an hour. I will have to wait a few more days for it to hit a state of being on again for 160 straight hours.

p.s. it is a very nice DAC, but it didn't quite slay the MSB.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

on another note, i am about ready to give up on external dacs altogether.

I am finding that the dac inside my new marantz avr (SR5009) sounds as good or better than any dac i have heard to date (from dragonflies to teac to sony ud-1 to marantz sa-8005, and i am getting a idsd nano in the next couple days. I just don't think anything will sound better than dsd that i pipe into the marantz either by usb or by network....it sounds phenomenal.

Anyone want to buy a Korg DS-100 or a idsd nano?

I have a Marantz AV7005 ( earlier generation ) it is a fine machine indeed! A purchase I have never regretted, I have bought a bunch of their stuff over the years.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Over at head-fi they are definitely putting the DAC through it's paces. It's enough that it's making me think about getting it... There's just the slightest thing that drives me nuts thinking you have to keep it on all the time. WKHanna, who is on here, would benefit from upgrading his Gungnir to the Yggdrasil since he leaves his dac on all the time.

I am thinking I want to get it, but I want to get a better preamp with balanced inputs first (or second)... who knows. I'm just so spoiled with the volume control in the M51 that it's tough for me to get rid of it.

I am liking the fact that there's a handful of people putting the DAC through it's paces against many that are 4x as much. I might just get it to have a 2nd DAC... you can't have too many right? I had been thinking about the Bricasti M1 or Total Dac or just get the Devialet 400 and be done....

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a lot more disposable income to test all these to see what fits best in our systems? :)

Nice, i had the gungnir sold it next day yggy comes out, meanwhile a friend borrows his nad m51, yggy comes: gets into the system: is incredible, much better than gungnir and way better than m51! I have bluesound node, rogue audio perseus pre amp, and m180's monos... I was using the pre amp but i figure why not directly from the node... So now the node constrols the volume and is a step above everything... I've had my yggy since it came from the fedex truck 10 min laters and everyday gets better! Zero complaints..i'm not an expert and don't have fancy words in my vocabulary to describe the sound, but when i tell you is good, believe me...

So you are saying it is close to the MSB? Considering it costs a fraction, that's pretty good if that's what you meant.

I was not aware of the 160 hours of warm up ( as opposed to burn in), I heard it again today but only 72 hours since it was last powered down for an hour. I will have to wait a few more days for it to hit a state of being on again for 160 straight hours.

p.s. it is a very nice DAC, but it didn't quite slay the MSB.

I will post a more considered reply tomorrow. I this it is a very nice DAC for the price. I think the MSB Analog DAC is to my tastes a better DAC for my listening tastes. It draws you in better and is more relaxing and engaging to listen to for long periods of time. A bit richer and full as well. But these are all matters of degrees and personal preference. If I could sell my Analog DAC for the entire cost I have into it, take that money, buy a Yggdrasil and bank the rest, I would not do so. Please be mindful I don't want to start any sort of "my DAC is better than your DAC" wars, and I do think the Yggdrasil is a very nice DAC but I don't have experience with enough DACs at that price point and above to compare it to others or give any thoughts as to its overall value vs a PS Audio DS, Hugo, and many other fine DACs.

It it is quite enjoyable to listen to and I am sure it will make lots of folks happy.