IGNORED

6 Channel m4a files play as 2 Channel

I'm very confused.

I have ripped a 5.1 DVD-A disc to m4a using DVA Audio extractor. I set it to rip 6 channels, and it seems to have worked. The m4a files' information says 6 channels when viewed in OS X Finder.

But when I connect the USB hard drive with the files to my Oppo 105 and play, my AVR only shows 2 channel input and I only get 2 channel playback.

Put the DVD-A disc in the Oppo 105 and it plays in 5.1

Any thoughts on what happened?

Computer audiophile is not an oxymoron

Hi Arg!

Well, it might be that the mp4 5.1 is not supported for playback. I am not sure and could not find that so fast if that's the case here. But it might well be. In that case what I would try and for the sake of quality of course just rip the the original DVD-A in the native format and try if that is playable from the external USB. Maybe you have also more luck if you rip it as an 5.1 FLAC.

from the spec.:

• Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-105. The BDP-105 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats.7

Well spotted! That has turned out to be the issue. The Oppo can see and play m4a files but not it seems in 5.1, only in stereo.

When I convert the m4a files to FLAC, they play in 5.1 through the Oppo.

Thanks very much!

Actually, the Oppo is able to play 5.1 channel AAC-LC and HE-AAC .m4a contained audio files and pass the multi-channel audio stream via HDMI to a surround sound amplifier. Indeed, I've just tried it with my Onkyo TX-NR609 (which is set to 'Direct' input).

The 'Audio Format Setup' on my Oppo BDP-103EU is as follows: -

Secondary Audio - Off

HDMI Audio - Auto

Coaxial/Optical Output - Bitstream

SACD Output - DSD

HDCD Decoding - On

I use the same settings to play my multi-channel Flac and PCM.wav audio files...

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 

My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Well that is interesting because playing my m4a files via HDMI from my Oppo 105 is seen by the AVR as 2 channel only, but FLACs of the same files are 5.1

I don't know if my m4a files are AAc-LC or HE-AAC or otherwise -- whey are whatever DVD Audio Extractor produces.

• 5 weeks later...
Are you using the old mpc? Then try the latest MPCHC (not beta).

If you are already using mpchc then try disable the built in m4a/aac decoder, under view->options->internal filters->transform filters and unselect AAC. And see how it works.

Arg and myself are not using a computer to play multi-channel AAC audio files. We are using an Oppo BDP-10x 'hardware' player!

Arg. How have you got on?

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 

Arg and myself are not using a computer to play multi-channel AAC audio files. We are using an Oppo BDP-10x 'hardware' player!

Arg. How have you got on?

Cheers

My Oppo 105 certainly plays your .m4a test files in MCH (although 'LFE' comes from left front). Both the AAC-LC and HE-AAC files.

My Oppo 105 certainly plays your .m4a test files in MCH (although 'LFE' comes from left front). Both the AAC-LC and HE-AAC files.
That's the 'announcement' for the LFE tone ;)