IGNORED

Subjective Test Results: XP, iTunes - Bit Perfect or Not?

I posted my preliminary results previously so here's a recap:

I have an XP Pro laptop with an external drive connected to a Hagerman USB to Digital Coax converter that is connected to the DAC in my Quad CD player. The Quad CD player cost $1500. It's not super-highend but very good. I use iTunes to rip and play music. I use inexpensive generic USB and digital coax cables.

My preliminary listening tests were very positive. It sounded very good and I had no issues whatsoever. However I decided to do a more lengthy comparison of the computer based sound vs the CD player. My Quad player made this an easy task. I could play a CD and using the remote quickly switch between the iTunes feed and the CD.

I would place a CD in the unit then start it playing. After about 60 seconds I started the same track from iTunes. This gave me the ability to listen to a section from the CD and then switch to iTunes and listen to the same section. I did this type of comparison with the same volume level for both sources and using a variety of music: Classical, film scores, pop, jazz,etc.

To my ears I could detect absolutely no difference between the two sources. I thought the computer source would be better but it was basically the same. This is not a problem. It's actually a good result. It means that the computer is providing the internal DAC with exactly the same feed as the CD transport. It also means that iTunes and XP are delivering Bit Perfect data to the DAC.

The question remains: Can I expect an improvement in sound if I upgrade my cables? I am not someone who dose not believe cables make a difference..... to a point. I have experimented with cables in the past and have heard differences both good and bad. Cables can be filters providing different but equally good results. In any case what should I expect from higher quality cables in my setup? If the current setup is creating any jitter it's apparent that the DAC is doing its job of re-clocking. If the computer source is equal to the CD source maybe the only way to improve is by getting a better DAC, or maybe the amplifier or speakers should be upgraded. But if I don't want to change those components then my alternatives are:

Do nothing and enjoy what I have

Get better cables anyway and see what it does

Move to Vista (not sure what that would accomplish)

Use a different player ( I have MediaMonkey and it sounds pretty similar to iTunes. Maybe a little darker in sound)

Any comments or suggestions?

joesax

The only addition I would recommend would be some good hi-rez content. I checked the specs on the Quad 99 CDP-2 and its S/PDIF input will accept up to 24/96. I'm listening to a download from Boston Symphony Orchestra (24/88.2) that I purchased last night for $10 and it's outstanding.

Thanks for your suggestions. However the USB to digital Converter is limited to 16/44. I believe almost all of these types of devices are limited. So to move to High res sources, even 24/96, will require a different approach. I would problaly need to use Airport Express and stream to it over wireless.

Others have said - your system soundslike it brings you great joy so I wouldn't rush to change anything. What amp and speakers are you using out of interest?

Some thoughts for your future maybe to look at something like M-Audio Transit, BelCanto USB link or maybe TC Konnekt 8 via FireWire to allow you to use higher resolution files. If iTunes is your chosen playback, you could also consider a MacMini (or MacBook) which may run iTunes a fraction better and could be augmented with Amarra Mini. None of these are things you need to rush into however.

Eloise

PS. An Airport Express only allows streaming of 16/44.1 (CD quality) files so won't help you with High Resolution.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eloise:

Thanks for the info on Airport Express. My Amp is a Quad 909 and my Speakers are Quad 22Ls.

I'll check those other converters. I know the Bel Canto is expensive ($500) as would be a move to a MacBook.

Do you know if I can use Airport Express without turining on my Wirelwss Network? That is can I plug it in, connect it to my DAC and then stream to it wirlessly from my laptop without turnning on my router?

joesax

Sounds like you have the core of a very nice system. I'd say that the weakest link at this point is your USB-S/PDIF coverter with its limitation of 16/44.1. An inexpensive way to get S/PDIF out of your PC would be a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card. This card supports up to 24/96 on its S/PDIF out and cost a mere $30. Hi-rez content through your DAC/Amp/speakers will sound wonderful.

Eloise's comments about Airport Express are correct. I wouln't go that path if you have interest in delivering the best possible content to your system.

CharlyD:

Thanks for the suggestions. The card you mentioned sounds like a bargain. However I want to use a Laptop.

If and when I start using 24/96 source material I will have to do something different. For now I am strictly 16/44. I've read about the M-Audio Tranist an it seems like an interesting device with two exceptions. First, it uses Optical which may not be as good as Coax. Second, reviews on Amazon are terrible listing many problems. The Bel Canto looks like an excellent product but $500 is quite a bit and the difference in sound may be better but only marginally so.

joesax

I took a look at the Transit page on Amazon and was a bit surprised at the consistency of negatives in the reviews.

The box driving my headphones is the E-MU 0404 USB which also has S/PDIF out (coax and optical) at up to 24/96 and can be had for $200. This box also includes a very good DAC and ADC as well as a headphone amp. Almost all the reviews I've seen on this box are positive. My only negative comment would be that it requires use of its ASIO driver to obtain automatic sample rate switching. This requires some initial configuration work, but it's seamless afterward.

E-MU includes a control interface in the software for the 0404 USB that allows manual changing of the sample rate. The sample rate coverter in XP, however, is not that bad. If the sample frequency is left at 96 kHz in the 0404, Windows will convert any content it is streaming to that rate with results acceptable for casual listening. For optimum fidelity, the sample rate of the 0404 should be set to the same as the content.

I use JRiver Jukebox that has a native ASIO driver that works perfectly with the 0404. I've also seen success using Media Monkey.

The Musiland 01US/USD is NOTHING LIKE an Airport Express so isn't a "worthwhile upgrade".

The Musiland 01US/USD is a USB connected DAC and/or USB to SPDIF interface. The Airport Express is a network device with TOSLink optical SPDIF output for streaming audio.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If your computer is next to your DAC, then it is a worthwhile upgrade. And according to some reports elsewhere, better performing that all other USB to spdif devices. (I've been a user of the AE for many years, so I don't have anything against the AE, but if you want to play some hi res, then you are out of luck, and in my system, the immediate playback capability of the musiland vs the small delay with the AE is a welcome treat)

www.hifiduino.wordpress.com

albeit one that is limited to 16/44.1. Its analog audio output performance is ........adequete. Using its optical output is pretty much the only option for any serious audio listening. The express is also very convenient in that it can be used wired or wirelessly.

CD

Try a good quality USB cable. It won't hurt. And you should notice a difference.

I just bumped mine up to a Wireworld USB cable; as Borat would say "is very nice." Cost me about US$50 for 1m.

My rig however is still best sounding via the CD player.

The CD just has that little bit extra air. Noticeable especially on jazz where there are room effects/reverb tails.

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala