IGNORED

Audirvana plus problem with itunes library on external drive

ajay

I have two Itunes libraries, one on my mac's internal drive, one on an external drive.

Both work fine in Itunes.

The internal one works fine with audirvana either audirvana solo or integrated with Itunes.

The one on the external drive will either fail to play a track (sticking at one second) or will play an album fine for a while and then play a track or two from a completely different album before returning to the original album. I have tried both using audirvana alone or integrated with itunes and I have tried both syncing with the itunes library or selecting the folders to add to audirvana's own library - neither seems to help.

I am using Itunes 12.1.0.50 and audirvana plus 2.0.9 on a macbook air, with yosemite 10.10.2

Any suggestions would be very welcome as most of my music is on the external drive which makes what I can use audirvana for very limiting.

Thanks!

I don't have any earth-shattering suggestions, but I think you should at least use the current version of A+, which is 2.0.10 (and also the current versions of Yosemite and iTunes).

(It seems kind of weird that your playback problems occur even when you're using A+ in iTunes integrated mode. I'm not disputing the behavior you're seeing, but I've not seen anything like that. Maybe, in Disk Utility, you should try verifying the problem disk and, if needed, repairing it.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I don't have any earth-shattering suggestions, but I think you should at least use the current version of A+, which is 2.0.10 (and also the current versions of Yosemite and iTunes).

(It seems kind of weird that your playback problems occur even when you're using A+ in iTunes integrated mode. I'm not disputing the behavior you're seeing, but I've not seen anything like that. Maybe, in Disk Utility, you should try verifying the problem disk and, if needed, repairing it.)

--David

Thanks I'll give that a go and let you know. The disk is definately ok.

Hi

I just upgraded my system - now running audirvana 2.0.10, Itunes 12.1.2.27, yosemite 10.10.3.

Also checked my disks with disk utility and they're fine.

After playing an album fine for the first 7 tracks it played a track from another album before playing the 8th track of the original album.

This is with Itunes on and audirvana on itunes integrated mode.

Any other ideas???

Ta

I'm tapped out. Sorry. When you play the same album directly in iTunes (no Audirvana), it plays without any problem, right?

(There was another A+ update yesterday, but I don't suggest it will make a difference here.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

After playing an album fine for the first 7 tracks it played a track from another album before playing the 8th track of the original album.

Any other ideas???

I don't know anything specific to your problem, but it does raise a few questions in my head:

How do you switch between the two libraries ?

What is the full path name to the external library ?

Do you have any odd playlists ?

It might also be helpful to know your full audio system configuration, like many people put in their signatures, and/or profiles.

Hi

I just upgraded my system - now running audirvana 2.0.10, Itunes 12.1.2.27, yosemite 10.10.3.

Also checked my disks with disk utility and they're fine.

Any other ideas???

Ta

Is the other track played for only a very short time?

If yes, then this is due to some slowness in iTunes in conjonction with a wrong order in the iTunes library:First iTunes gives the wrong next track information to Audirvana Plus

Second it takes some time to tell Audirvana Plus the correct track after having received the play next one request

And this leads to short part of another track (a wrong one) to be played giving this short wrong track playback.

Now to avoid this there are two axes:

1) Have the iTunes library in the correct order. Before reconstructing it (instructions in Apple support pages), you can also put all the albums in a playlist and play from there

2) Ensure it'll respond fast enough: Is the external hard drive set to go to sleep? (This setting should be deactivated in the Energy Saver page of System Preferences)

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Too bad Damien can't clone himself so that there's one of him to do development work and another to participate in Internet forums all day.

Put that on the wish list for A+ v3.

--David

Hi Damien

Thanks for your reply.

The new track plays in full.

I have tried putting one album in a playlist, and I still get the same problem.

I have also stopped the hard disk from sleeping.

This time when I am trying, I am getting the other problem I experience: the track doesn't play at all. ie it freezes at 0 and won't play even if I move the playhead in audirvana or itunes or skip to the next track.

In answer to other questions, I do have this album on my computer's own hard drive and yes it plays fine.

I switch between libraries by holding down the option key when itunes starts and then choosing the library I want.

The media I am having problems with is located at:

/Volumes/Bakup/AjayOlderStuff/Bakup/Music

(Bakup is the name of my bakup hard drive which is formatted for a mac)

The library is:

/Users/ajay/Music/iTunes/ITunes Library

The media and library on my computer is:

/Users/ajay/Music/iTunes 1/iTunes Media

Library:

/Users/ajay/Music/iTunes 1/ITunes Library

My set up is Macbook air, Denon DRA-275R amp, Rogers LS4a speakers.

I don't generally play from playlists and the ones I have are pretty simple ones.

Thanks!!

I may be totally wrong but think there may be a problem with the external drive path if you are using iTunes /Audirvana Plus integrated. My external drive path reads Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music. If you are using the latest versions of iTunes doesn't it require the ITunes Media path since about 9.0.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Have you rebuilt your iTunes library yet, as Damian suggested ? He seemed to be clear that that was the fix for your symptoms.

I haven't rebuilt the library because

a) the tracks that are inserting themselves are playing in full (he suggested this was only a fix if they play in part)

b) I tried putting an album in a playlist, which he suggested to try first and that made no difference.

So unless I've misunderstood things that doesn't sound like a fix.

Ta

iTunes>Preferences>Advanded>iTunes Media Folder Location>Change

Ok it now reads:

/Volumes/Bakup/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

But I had to create those folders, and then direct iTines to look there, rather than iTunes creating them for me - I'll give it a go and let you know if it works.

Ok solved it thanks guys.

When I got the path correct, ie

/Volumes/Bakup/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

Then itunes just played the first few seconds of each track, as Damien suggested, so then I simply recreated my itunes library from scratch - I didn't bother with a rebuild as I don't use playlists much so wouldn't lose them this way...

Now it all works perfectly.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

I'm totally new to OSX, i have a problem,after changing the default program to play flac files(Audirvana) , i can't just change songs by double clicking directly on the files in a folder(not in the playlist)

So when a song already plays in audirvana and I double click on another song in finder , audirvana is not changing the playing track, only if I stop or pause the current track , then I manage to chenge song .

Can you give me some explanation what I'm missing?

Thank You!

• 1 year later...
Hi All!

I'm totally new to OSX, i have a problem,after changing the default program to play flac files(Audirvana) , i can't just change songs by double clicking directly on the files in a folder(not in the playlist)

So when a song already plays in audirvana and I double click on another song in finder , audirvana is not changing the playing track, only if I stop or pause the current track , then I manage to chenge song .

Can you give me some explanation what I'm missing?

Thank You!

Hi, I am also new to OSX and experiencing exactly the same issue. Did you find a solution?

I saw that the problem is not about Audirvana. It is about the driver of my integrated amplifier(DEVIALET AIR 3.0 BETA). I use AIR 3.0-Beta for Devialet 200 on OSX. I store my library on Synology NAS on the same network. When I disable Devialet AIR from preferences and change it to Devialet USB, or HDMI(MAC Mini is connected to my Smart TV), I see that there is no problem at all..

• 2 weeks later...
Is the other track played for only a very short time?

If yes, then this is due to some slowness in iTunes in conjonction with a wrong order in the iTunes library:First iTunes gives the wrong next track information to Audirvana Plus

Second it takes some time to tell Audirvana Plus the correct track after having received the play next one request

And this leads to short part of another track (a wrong one) to be played giving this short wrong track playback.

Now to avoid this there are two axes:

1) Have the iTunes library in the correct order. Before reconstructing it (instructions in Apple support pages), you can also put all the albums in a playlist and play from there

2) Ensure it'll respond fast enough: Is the external hard drive set to go to sleep? (This setting should be deactivated in the Energy Saver page of System Preferences)

Damien

Hi Damien

Damien. in the past when I purchased your software I was getting many crashes running El Capitan on my 2013 MacBook Pro 8GB RAM and serving my music up from a WD external 2TB HD. I visit many time the good forum Computer Audiophile

and receive advice to go all the way back to Yosemite OS on my Mac. I did that and all was good. After many OS upgrades and upgrades to your software I decided to go back and try El Capitan thinking someone fixed something. My first test lasted 2 hr’s no crashes then it crashed and I had to do a Force Quit out of your app to do a restart of my mac. 2nd test lasted 40 minutes then crashed, 3rd test only lasted for two songs and the I copied a Crash Report. One of the guys (or gals) in the Computer Audiophile forum suggested this and I accomplished it but it didn’t even make it thru 1 track and crashed:

This is my equipment list:

WD usb2 2TB external HD Only Music aiff’s on it

MacBook Pro 2013 8GB RAM 256 internal Flash drive usb3

AudirvanaPlus_The latest version as of today 7/8/16

Regen

ifi DAC nano latest driver iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp5.1A.sh

MusicLink Transparent Interface cables

Reference B&K 200.2 S2 Power amp 225W RMS

Parasound 2100 Classic Preamp

Paradigm 100 S series speakers

Thanks

[email protected]

• 1 year later...

Audirvana won't update iTunes playlists now using 2nd method. Audirvana is the newest version. Worked before. My iTunes is on a NAS synology. Every time  I push sync it syncs for about 30 seconds and is done. My library is in Audirvana and the playlist names but no files in the playlists. Any advice?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Well I don't use iTunes, I just assumed my playlist was in A+ I bring each album or CD or file from an external HD. I assumed it brought in only one album at a time whatever your choice was at that time. So I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I have the latest A+ and only bug I noticed was some duplicate albums or should I say the breaking up of a list of tracks in an album and assigning them to same artwork but duplicate. It may be my fault and they need retagged.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 10:45 AM, findog3103 said:

Audirvana won't update iTunes playlists now using 2nd method. Audirvana is the newest version. Worked before. My iTunes is on a NAS synology. Every time  I push sync it syncs for about 30 seconds and is done. My library is in Audirvana and the playlist names but no files in the playlists. Any advice?

Still having problems with this...anybody have advice? Sometimes the sync works but not always and I can't figure out why that is. Integrated Mode works for about 30 seconds and then goes silent.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5