IGNORED

Original Ayre QB-9 24/96 model and Shared USB Port Mac

Hello, I was curious if anyone had experience with the Ayre QB-9 24/96 model and finding a unshared USB port. Or, if this is even necessary/possible with the 24/96 version.

In the set up instructions on the ayre website: https://www.ayre.com/usb-dac-apple.htm There is a technique of trail and error until the QB-9 is the only device listed under the "USB High Speed Bus" in the USB tree in system information. I have 4 usb slots on my iMac and tried switching around my usb devices until it looks like the image on the set up instruction with no luck. Is this because it's the 24/96 version and the high speed bus is only used for higher bitrates?

I previously had a minimax plus and got that to be unshared high speed USB with the same machine.

Please advise. Thank you!

If you plug the QB-9 into the same port as did with the Minimax, the result should be the same. How many other usb things have you connected?

An “unshared port” is not dependent on the dac. The four USB outlets are (I’m guessing) connected to two busses. What complicates things is that the iSight/Facetime camera, Bluetootand IR are also internally connected to one or possibly both buses.

Keep in mind that different mac models will have different “usb threes” due to the way the ports are wired on the mother board. Yours might not look like the Ayre screenshot.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

When I had the minimax it looked exactly the same as the example on the ayre site. I thought the same thing, that if i just switched out the minimax with the QB-9 that it would be assigned to the same unshared port, but that was not the case. I also see the bluetooth IR as being shared with on some ports. I'll keep switch diffent combos with trial and error.

Along with my DAC I have an 2tb external HD, and a wireless dongle for my mouse and keyboard. The external harddrive seems to get assigned to the unshared port most often in many of the different configurations that i've tried.

Are you saying the IR/blutooth etc gets assigned to different buses depending on attached perifirals? Weird, didn’t know that.

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Looks like the IR stays assigned to the same port each time. I'm only plugging in my DAC and the little usb dongle that connects to my mouse/keyboard. I even tried it with are hardwired usb mouse just to make sure that was not the problem, same result. It seems like no matter what I do (i think i've tired every combo possible) the Ayre never gets assigned either of the 2 USB High-Speed Bus ports.

Below are a few screen grabs of what I am seeing when I switch the cables around between my 4 usb slots on the back of my iMac.

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 9.53.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 9.54.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 9.55.52 AM.png

Like I said before, other devices such as my portable HD and other DAC show up under the High-Speed Bus port(s). Is it possible that the original 24/96 version of the QB-9 is not compatible with these ports and therefore never get assigned to them?

Yes to your last question.

Your un-updated Ayre is a USB Class 1 device, just like the Bluetooth and IR reciever as well as the dongle. The HD and iSight camera are both Class 2 (USB2) devices, so they will be pared together. So this would be normal behaviour.

As an owner of a QB-9 DSD I recommend you to do the updates :-)