IGNORED

Spek – Acoustic Spectrum Analyser

Features

• Supports all popular lossy and lossless audio file formats thanks to the FFmpeg libraries.
  • Ultra-fast signal processing, uses multiple threads to further speed up the analysis.
  • Shows the codec name and the audio signal parameters.
  • Allows to save the spectrogram as an image file.
  • Drag-and-drop support; associates with common audio file formats.
  • Auto-fitting time, frequency and spectral density rulers.
  • Adjustable spectral density range.
  • Translated into 19 languages.

I've seen a few forum members use Spek but for those who don't - Spek is a cheap (free) and cheerful frequency spectrum analyzer. Does not support DSD however. Very useful in doing a basic analysis of your audio collection especially in identifying upsampled content.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I checked this software. Actually it is useful and ease to use indeed, supports even DXD. But, some variants of .aiff and .aif gives no results. And one thing is not very user friendly at all - saving picture of analysis results. First, it offer to save picture with extension of used file - when this was a .wav, then it wants to use .wav. The only right one is .png, i don't see point in dealing with other extensions not belonging to picture formats. Second, when someone needs to checked multiple files in multiple folders, then for saving corresponding picture to place where the audio file is located is frustrating, needs to manually navigate to this folder. Maybe there is a possibility to add such option for saving pictures automatically to path where original audio file is located.

I used version 0.8.2 for Mac.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

And one thing is not very user friendly at all - saving picture of analysis results. First, it offer to save picture with extension of used file - when this was a .wav, then it wants to use .wav. The only right one is .png, i don't see point in dealing with other extensions not belonging to picture formats. Second, when someone needs to checked multiple files in multiple folders, then for saving corresponding picture to place where the audio file is located is frustrating, needs to manually navigate to this folder. Maybe there is a possibility to add such option for saving pictures automatically to path where original audio file is located.

It uses the text of the complete file name but the result is saved as a png image file.

Userpath/Filename.wav is be saved as Userpath/Filename.wav.png

In my setup it saves the image in the same folder as the source file.

I did mention that it is a cheap and cheerful package.

So yes it does not do a lot of things - DSD and now AIFF.

DXD is still PCM (at a sampling rate of 352.8 kHz / 24 bit)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

It uses the text of the complete file name but the result is saved as a png image file.

Userpath/Filename.wav is be saved as Userpath/Filename.wav.png

In my setup it saves the image in the same folder as the source file.

I did mention that it is a cheap and cheerful package.

So yes it does not do a lot of things - DSD and now AIFF.

DXD is still PCM (at a sampling rate of 352.8 kHz / 24 bit)

I't depends... Adding .png extension to original filename works only when checkbox " Hide extension" is UNCHECKED. When not (default), GUI gives a warning: "You cannot save this document with extension ".wav" at the end of the name. The required extension is ".png".

You can choose to use both, so that your file name ends in ".wav.png"."

Options are: "Use both"; "Cancel"; "Use .png".

In my setup it saves to the previously used folder, even after program closing and restart. It changes path only when I navigate manually to other location.

AIFF... older than WAV (1988 vs.1993 and still PCM too :)) and main "format" in today's Mac computers. So, when someone offers software (freely or not) for Mac and this software do not support main format in Mac, it needs some addention I think. Especially when we are talking about analysis of someone's whole audio collection.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not seeing how this does anything Audacity doesn't do. You can view the spectrogram in Audacity. Can even make it your default view if you like.

Another program that does more detailed spectrograms is Sonic Visualizer.

Sonic Visualiser

I believe it was alfe who first pointed this one out to me.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

spek is a pure spectrum analyzer - that's it.

Audacity and Sonic Visualizer are full editors and recorders.

One minor point - if you are not careful you can modify the original file by mistake.

They can do a bit too much if all you need is a quick peek.