IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Repeat my message because you were confused about the topic.In another topic you can delete!
Came ISO Regen.
System on the Linux >usb PPAv2+linear power supply(LT1083-7.5 V)>ISO Regen+linear power supply(LT1083-5V)>zonotone USB cable (1.2 m) 6N Grandio 6nusbgran USB>USB DAC.
First impressions from ISO Regen!The sound flew over the acoustics,expanded the stereo image,detail increased,the sound transparent,natural tone amazing.It is only when Galvanauskas ISO.
If the ISO switch to disable it narrows the stereo image,sound lands and becomes less transparent.
Tests were conducted in three variants and in my opinion put in this order.
100 balls-usb PPAv2+Regen ISO(iso included)
85 points-usb PPAv2+Regen ISO(iso off)
75 points-usb directly from the computer+Regen ISO
50 points-usb directly from the computer.

Thanks for such an interesting product!

DSC_0959_cr.jpg

My system: Audio computer-based Snakeoil with linear supply>PPA v2+power supply for ti4700>, IS0 REGEN+power supply for ti4700>Teac NT503>power amplifier>

The best Linux system for music!!! :xhttps://www.snakeoil-os.net/   :x

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to inform any of you of what is probably blatantly obvious to most: using a LPSU (I'm using HDPlex) with the Regen is transformative. Can't believe it took me so long to give it a try.

More weight, without loss of speed, better HF decay, soundstage is more cohesive and integrated and depth has increased quite a bit. Even tone has gotten somewhat better. Hightly recommended upgrade.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 1 year later...

Just writing to share how this device still has its place in my audio collection.

My second system was originally used at an office for music, however, now I'm working from home and it's getting less use, maybe 3 times a week for 1-2 hours.

The system consists of:
-A pc using Out of Your Head for real time binaural rendering using measured room impulse responses of various hifi systems.
-Supra usb cable to an Uptone USB Regen
-USB Regen powered by a Jameco LPS. The psu plugs into an lt3042 regulator, than a canare 4s6 dc cable to the Regen.
-The Regen plugs(uptone uspcb) into a Breeze DU-U8 and sends optical spdif to an Audio-GD NFB-11(with a tcxo), which is on a Topaz 91092-12 with a VH Audio Flavor 4 cable.

It's a really excellent sounding system for the price and the USB Regen alone is a big part of the sound quality.

I recently took the regen and its power additions out of the system to use with an XRite i1 Display Pro to ensure clean power and excellent signal integrity while calibrating a new projector(needed a long usb run and it worked wonders). I had gone back to use the headphone system while working, with the PC plugged directly into the DUU8 via the supra usb and immediately noticed how different the sound was, what was crystal clear was now hazey. The only difference in the system now being poor usb signal integrity and the phy noise generated by the xmos chip. After a few hours I never acclimated to the sound, desiring the return of the effects of the USB Regen.

I have a third system that gets used once a month or so for movies with headphones when I cant use the theater, so Ive been hesitant to spend more money on it, but every time I use it I find myself wanting to add a regen and ultra isolator. This system currently takes optical directly from the pc to an optical splitter, to 2 separate dacs, an Audio-GD NFB-10(wolfson chips instead of ess) and a very cheap optical dac that feeds into a bass shaker system. By itself this provides a good experience, but I know a couple simple additions will really improve the sound quality, and Uptone devices are the only option Ill consider.

So while my main system has it's ISO Regen and Ultracap, the USB Regen still has its place as an affordable option for transformative audio quality. Thx Alex and John!

• 2 months later...

Belated Happy New Year to all!

Apologies if question already asked earlier, but can someone please tell me the max current amperage of the USB Regen's 5v output?  

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

12 hours ago, thuandb said:

Belated Happy New Year to all!

Apologies if question already asked earlier, but can someone please tell me the max current amperage of the USB Regen's 5v output?  

Happy New Year to you too!

The ultra-low-noise voltage regulator in the USB REGEN that is dedicated to producing clean 5VBUS output is capable of delivering up to 1A. Even though USB2.0 specifications only permit a device to draw 500mA (0.5A), there are some DAC/headphone amps—and even a couple of bus-powered USB>S/PDIF converters—which violate that rule and draw upwards of 800mA. 

So the REGEN has those covered. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Good day all,

First post on the forum. Just a quick question for dacs that don't draw any power from USB (sorry if this has been clarified before):

Is it possible to power the Regen DC input with a single 3.7v li-ion battery? Discharge curves for this chemistry typically range 4 - 3.3/3.4 volts... How low can it go?

From a performance/sound quality point of view, is there an ideal voltage number/range for the DC input (assuming no current draw from the dac) or it makes no difference? Does it make sense to think that the closer the psu voltage is to the 3.3v required by the USB chip, the less the voltage regulator has to work? I don't really know how the voltage regulator (or whatever you call it) on the Regen works, so feel free to clarify any confusion I may have.

Appreciate any info.

14 minutes ago, hatchum said:

First post on the forum.

Well a big welcome to the Audiophile Style forums! :D

14 minutes ago, hatchum said:

Just a quick question for dacs that don't draw any power from USB (sorry if this has been clarified before):

Is it possible to power the Regen DC input with a single 3.7v li-ion battery? Discharge curves for this chemistry typically range 4 - 3.3/3.4 volts... How low can it go?

Assuming your DAC does not draw ANY 5VBUS power, you could power a USB REGEN from as little as 3.9 volts. You need to leave about 0.6V of "drop" for the regulator to stay in good regulation for the 3.3V. You can try the mentioned 3.7V but it might be close.

Current draw by a USB REGEN will be about 140mA.

Sonically there will be no performance difference at various voltages within is range.

Above applies to the original (discontinued) USB REGEN, not to the present ISO REGEN.

As for batteries and how long they will keep up, I can not advise you.  Battery performance will vary depending upon state of charge.  Also beware, all those portable USB battery packs for charging have noisy switching regulators, so don't assume they offer advantage over other power supplies. 9_9

All the best,

--Alex C.

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Assuming your DAC does not draw ANY 5VBUS power, you could power a USB REGEN from as little as 3.9 volts. You need to leave about 0.6V of "drop" for the regulator to stay in good regulation for the 3.3V. You can try the mentioned 3.7V but it might be close.

Current draw by a USB REGEN will be about 140mA.

Sonically there will be no performance difference at various voltages within is range.

Above applies to the original (discontinued) USB REGEN, not to the present ISO REGEN.

As for batteries and how long they will keep up, I can not advise you.  Battery performance will vary depending upon state of charge.  Also beware, all those portable USB battery packs for charging have noisy switching regulators, so don't assume they offer advantage over other power supplies. 9_9

All the best,

--Alex C.

Appreciate the fast clarification.

I think I will stick to the 5v nimh battery pack then (4*C 4500mah cells). Yes, I know those USB powerbanks don't output raw battery DC. I'm using cells in series. I have a bunch of cells to work out different voltages for whatever little device I need.

• 3 weeks later...

Any recommendations on a very short USB C to A cable for connecting the Regen to a bus powered USB interface? 

About to try some experiments with various mid priced A to B cables from my MacBook, but aside from some very cheap A to C ones I’ve seen and very expensive custom ones, I’m not seeing a whole lot of options in this area. 

22 minutes ago, Paperinoil said:

Any recommendations on a very short USB C to A cable for connecting the Regen to a bus powered USB interface? 

About to try some experiments with various mid priced A to B cables from my MacBook, but aside from some very cheap A to C ones I’ve seen and very expensive custom ones, I’m not seeing a whole lot of options in this area. 

Hi:

Welcome to the Audiophile Style forums!

Can you tell us what USB device you are trying to connect to?  

We don't see very many USB DACs or DDCs with 'C' inputs.  And I don't know of too many USB A to C cables.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

We don't see very many USB DACs or DDCs with 'C' inputs.  And I don't know of too many USB A to C cables.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex! Thanks for the reply and the welcome! 

I’m actually using a Solid State Logic SSL2 recording interface as a DAC/pre in a small secondary bedroom setup with some active Tannoy monitors. C inputs are becoming more and more common on pro gear it seems, especially recording interfaces, but yes, I can only think of one(Soncoz) DAC manufacturer using C inputs on consumer gear. 

Nothing fancy, but Regen has made a massive improvement over going straight from the laptop to the DAC, it’s just that now I’d like to find something along the lines of the included gray shorty that came with the Regen so I can get it closer to the DAC side which seems to be the preferred method of connection if I’m not mistaken. 

As I have it setup now I have the short gray cable out of the MB and a 1 meter generic Rampow A to C cable connecting the Regen to the interface. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

Thanks,

--Alex C.

As more phones are using USB-C connections these days for charging, data transfer etc, they are becoming more common. I have to use a USB-A (car usb) to USB-C (phone usb) cable in my car for example but at home it is USB-C to USB-C.

Regards

GG

1 hour ago, GryphonGuy said:

As more phones are using USB-C connections these days for charging, data transfer etc, they are becoming more common. I have to use a USB-A (car usb) to USB-C (phone usb) cable in my car for example but at home it is USB-C to USB-C.

Regards

GG

True. Much more common with consumer electronics as well now, than with domestic HiFi. I certainly prefer it to micro USB which is absolutely wretched. 

I see a few “hard” adapters similar to the one that came with my Regen and some short power bank length cables.

I may just pick up a few different short cables to try and pick the best one. Not a huge fan of the solid adapters, especially since the C port in my interface is at a slight angle. I could always prop it up, but I’m weary of stressing the port.