IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

did you ever compare the SBT - USB- Regen - Yggy vs. SBT - Coaxial - Yggy? If so, what's your take on it and which cables did you use?

IME the SBT-USB-Regen-Yggy has a finess

and subtlety that keeps me interested.

SBT-Coax-Yggy exagerates bass and highs

which gets boring. Cables, I use the

hard-adapter and splurged for a Schiit

PYST usb :)

pb-

IME the SBT-USB-Regen-Yggy has a finess

and subtlety that keeps me interested.

SBT-Coax-Yggy exagerates bass and highs

which gets boring. Cables, I use the

hard-adapter and splurged for a Schiit

PYST usb :)

pb-

thanks. appreciate the answer.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I have been listening to this humble setup: Win 7 Home 64 bit (Intel E5700) desktop/J River MC 19 > USB Regen (from wall wart) + Teac UD-501 DAC (DIY power cable), using Belkin Gold cable and DIY I/Cs into an old Naim integrated amp. I find the result absolutely captivating - PRaT (world class), instrument timbre (Exc.) , micro dynamics (Exc.) really fun music playback!

A difference in which direction, i.e.. converting to SPDIF is better or worse? And how so?

TIA

Much better, in my estimation, but it also depends on the setup. With leaner speakers and tubes its more pronounced than solid state, so it becomes a matter of system matching. More 3d soundstage, not much loss in detail or accuracy, and a more involving musical experience.

• 1 month later...
If you think their 'El Cheapo' LPS is good - you should hear their DU-U8 USB XMOS Bridge.

It's killer good.

Just complete a 5 USB bridge Shootout -

Here is the list:

Gustard U12

Melodious MX-U8

Hydra Z

iDac DAC2

Audio Breeze DU-U8

Hi and sorry for the late question.

And sorry if i missed them but are the results of this shootout available somewhere ?

Thanks a lot, gino

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Is there a good battery recommendation for powering the regen? For my setup (iMac-> curious USB -> Regen with stock power supply) there is a noise if I am using the power supply of Regen.

There are not many 6-8v battery out there are they?

Thank you!

Does the noise appear on other setups. It may be your psu is defective.

As for batteries. Get a lipo from a an RC store and a regulator from parts express or other electric supply. But the psu it comes with is pretty good

Thanks for the reply. The psu is working fine since the noise appears only after I switch to my new RCA input/ouput preamp. I guess it is a ground loop problem. So I wanna try if a battery power will fix it. I am not quite familiar with diy, so do I need to solder the lipo and a regulator?

Thanks.

I see your point. Go to paul pang website he has what you need done already. My other question is why the ground loop noise. Use a cheater on both your laptop power and the regen power supply. A cheater is the adaptor for when you have a three prong plug and two prong outlet. Now do not connect the ground terminal

on the cheaters.

I see your point. Go to paul pang website he has what you need done already. My other question is why the ground loop noise. Use a cheater on both your laptop power and the regen power supply. A cheater is the adaptor for when you have a three prong plug and two prong outlet. Now do not connect the ground terminal

on the cheaters.

Ok. Will try the cheater solution first. Will this cause any potential hazard? SHOPPING AREA: 120W Linear PSU Is this the product you were talking about from Paul Pang, seems like a pricey solution though. haha.

Thank you!

I am using a LI fe 2s 5000mha battery with my Regen. This battery is 6.6 v nominal and does not need a regulator. I only recharge it about once a week. LI fe cells are much more stable than the Lipo cells. I prefer this setup to the HDPLEX LPS set at 7.5 v.

A flaw in reasoning is a mistake in how conclusions are derived from assumptions, not a mistake in assumptions.

AB835

I am using a LI fe 2s 5000mha battery with my Regen. This battery is 6.6 v nominal and does not need a regulator. I only recharge it about once a week. LI fe cells are much more stable than the Lipo cells. I prefer this setup to the HDPLEX LPS set at 7.5 v.

Ok. Thank you. Do you have the link of the battery you are using? That sounds good. Thanks!

on the cheaters.

I tried to tape the ground prong of both my laptop power and regen power supply, but the noise is still there. When use my phone to play directly to preamp and amp, there is no noise.

Just got my Amber Regen and at first wasn't thrilled with the sound. It was more delicate and detailed, but the bass and fun went out. Then I noticed that I had the stock power supply plugged in with opposite polarity to my DAC. When I used a cheater plug and reversed polarity, the bass returned, the soundstage increased, and the rhythmic gist of the music became compelling again. Not a subtle difference in the least. So please check the polarity of your Regen—it matters as much as your DAC or amp.

When I used a cheater plug and reversed polarity, the bass returned, the soundstage increased, and the rhythmic gist of the music became compelling again. Not a subtle difference in the least. So please check the polarity of your Regen—it matters as much as your DAC or amp.

Interesting… :)

Does this not line up with your experiences, Alex?

We'll I've played around with AC plug polarity in my system for 35 years, so I am used to its effect with amps, preamps, etc. But things are a bit different with SMPS bricks, and the cord from it has a grounded 3-prong plug. Was your experiment with the REGEN's supplied Mean Well brick or with some other PS? Or was it your DAC's cord that you reversed polarity on?

By the way, the two sides of USA house mains (120/0/120) do sound a little different (even when excluding all other loads in the house), and I have a procedure to choose the preferred side (and then I put certain nastier loads on the opposite side). But you have to be comfortable moving stuff around in your house load/breaker center.

Was your experiment with the REGEN's supplied Mean Well brick or with some other PS? Or was it your DAC's cord that you reversed polarity on?

I reversed the cord from the stock MeanWell brick. And I also lifted the ground prong by using a cheater plug, so perhaps that has something to do with the sound difference. My amp, preamp and my Ayre Codex DAC all sound best with their polarity reversed in relation to the power strip. So I plugged in the Regen the same way, and the difference I heard was, if anything, even greater. Though I have to admit there's a bit too much treble edge for my taste now, whereas before it sounded a little rolled on top. Are my ears tripping, Alex?

Thanks for the reply. The psu is working fine since the noise appears only after I switch to my new RCA input/ouput preamp. I guess it is a ground loop problem. So I wanna try if a battery power will fix it. I am not quite familiar with diy, so do I need to solder the lipo and a regulator?

Thanks.

Pulse Ultra Batteries have redefined the RC battery industry, with a goal to provide the absolute pinnacle in lithium battery technology.

Dedicated within the RC helicopter industry, along with a rapid advancement in the airplane & multi rotor segment, Pulse has quickly become the choice of pro level pilots and beyond, filling the flight line with pilots of all skill levels & demands.

[h=1][/h]