IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Anyone tried one with the Schiit Yggdrasil? Just curious if there any improvements to be had by using the REGEN

Yes, for months with a hand built LPS. and yes, definite improvement in clarity and definition.

same for an esteemed SBAF friend nearby also, his EC Studio amp resolution is even more apparent.

Yes, for months with a hand built LPS. and yes, definite improvement in clarity and definition.

same for an esteemed SBAF friend nearby also, his EC Studio amp resolution is even more apparent.

Interesting, well guess I'll give it a try then, price is certainly reasonable enough if there is a significant improvement

Anyone tried one with the Schiit Yggdrasil? Just curious if there any improvements to be had by using the REGEN

As a budding computer audiophile, I welcome an opportunity to report my progress. Beginning early last year with my iMac Retina running Spotify connected to an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC and Emotiva Airmotiv 6S speakers, I followed many threads in Computer Audiophile searching for meaningful upgrades. I hoped to find dramatic improvements in SQ at a reasonable cost.

First, I upgraded my Emotiva Airmotiv 6S speakers to larger Emotiva Stealth 8 powered studio monitors. That was a dramatic improvement, especially at higher volumes.

Next, I tested an exaSound e22 Mark II v 1.5. It was slightly better than my Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, which is an extraordinary value, but was not a dramatic difference.

On a lark, I then ordered the Schiit Yggdrasil. It is magnificent! The sound stage is full, instruments are separated and clear, and vocals sound like the singer is singing "live", right in front of me.

I already had an amber Regen, which greatly improved my original Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, but the Yggy is so good that the Regen's effect was minimal. As part of my experimentation, I had purchased an Intona, so I am using that with the Yggy and I like it, but if you removed it and didn't tell me, I might not notice for a while.

Other changes I have made include replacing Spotify with TIDAL and adding an SVS subwoofer. Both were worth doing, but nothing compares to installing a Yggy. Listening to it makes me feel that I am hearing the source material as originally intended.

It will be very interesting to see if any of the highly-anticipated 2016 products from Uptone Audio and other companies can improve SQ any more. It will be especially interesting to see what Schiit delivers this year.

Apple iMac Retina computer > Tidal > AudioQuest Carbon USB cable >

Intona > Curious USB cable > Schist Yggdrasil DAC > Emotiva XLR cables >

Emotiva Stealth 8 powered studio monitors on Auralex MoPAD-XL Isolation Pads.

I've had a Yiggy and Regen for five months. In

my system the Regen definitely enhances lower

and upper frequency definition; overall a cleaner

sound. I stream from a squeezebox touch which

perhaps benefits more than other sources. Like

every other component it's system dependent.

With the genereous return policy what's to lose?

Looking forward to trying the slightly less

mysterious UpTone DC-DC LPS.

pb-

No, not here it did not improve things actually I heard a bit of veiling. Amber Regen with LPS. Everyone's conditions are different.

I have had the Yggdrasil 3 weeks now powered constantly.

It is the description everyone says it is. Superb and MUSICAL!

DrN, I have the similar findings with the Gungnir Multibit. I find that putting in the Regen thins out the sound a bit on the midrange, leading to more separation of instruments, though the LH Labs Lightspeed cable also contributes to that, and it might be going a little too far.

It does improve my iDSD micro by a lot, though, so your combination will vary your results.

Also, with the new Schiits, i find that converting USB to SPDIF to be so large a difference, that you won't even have to double blind to prove it. And if you add the Regen in that setup, I find that it thins it out so much more, its unlistenable.

Now curious about Curious cable!

DrN, I have the similar findings with the Gungnir Multibit. I find that putting in the Regen thins out the sound a bit on the midrange, leading to more separation of instruments, though the LH Labs Lightspeed cable also contributes to that, and it might be going a little too far.

It does improve my iDSD micro by a lot, though, so your combination will vary your results.

Also, with the new Schiits, i find that converting USB to SPDIF to be so large a difference, that you won't even have to double blind to prove it. And if you add the Regen in that setup, I find that it thins it out so much more, its unlistenable.

Maybe do give the Curious cables a try. I have them and like them very much. I've had a couple of LH Labs Lightspeed USB cables here and found them to be very thin and harsh.

We think the REGEN is tonally neutral--it is just very revealing of everything else connected. Sure I am biased, but this is also a reflection of the majority who have posted in this 2200-post thread. :)

Best,

--Alex C.

A difference in which direction, i.e.. converting to SPDIF is better or worse? And how so?

TIA

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I've had a Yiggy and Regen for five months. In

my system the Regen definitely enhances lower

and upper frequency definition; overall a cleaner

sound. I stream from a squeezebox touch which

perhaps benefits more than other sources. Like

every other component it's system dependent.

With the genereous return policy what's to lose?

Looking forward to trying the slightly less

mysterious UpTone DC-DC LPS.

pb-

did you ever compare the SBT - USB- Regen - Yggy vs. SBT - Coaxial - Yggy? If so, what's your take on it and which cables did you use?

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Maybe do give the Curious cables a try. I have them and like them very much. I've had a couple of LH Labs Lightspeed USB cables here and found them to be very thin and harsh.

We think the REGEN is tonally neutral--it is just very revealing of everything else connected. Sure I am biased, but this is also a reflection of the majority who have posted in this 2200-post thread. :)

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

I actually like the Lightspeed quite a lot, but it just might fit my system better and I haven't been looking at other USB cables since. What's this curious cable you're talking about?

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Hi Alex,

I actually like the Lightspeed quite a lot, but it just might fit my system better and I haven't been looking at other USB cables since. What's this curious cable you're talking about?

I have the Lightspeed USB split - used it for ~ 2yrs. Added the Regen with the LS on one side and the hard connector on the other. Nice, Regen improved the sound a bit (more relaxed I'd say).

Then ordered the Curious cables: an 80cm from mini to Regen and a 20cm from Regen to DAC (look at my system pics). I would say the Curious USB cable sounds a bit more organic than the LS which I would regard as a bit thinner, more analytical.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I have the Lightspeed USB split - used it for ~ 2yrs. Added the Regen with the LS on one side and the hard connector on the other. Nice, Regen improved the sound a bit (more relaxed I'd say).

Then ordered the Curious cables: an 80cm from mini to Regen and a 20cm from Regen to DAC (look at my system pics). I would say the Curious USB cable sounds a bit more organic than the LS which I would regard as a bit thinner, more analytical.

Agreed on each point!

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Agreed on each point!

now I'm "curious" (yeah, I know... cheap pun). maybe I'll have to take a look at it.

Oh, I agree with how the Regen helps, its just that equipment is voiced with other equipment, and that may be how the Schiit stuff is voiced. I have an LH Labs Vi Dac Tube coming in, and am holding on to the REGEN for that.

I will look around to see if I can hear the Curious stuff, this is all starting to add up!

Willy

as I was already very happy with an Isolate CU between the Mac mini and Regen, a few days ago I also ordered a 12cm Konvertible from Elijah Audio, so I can use it both with an Audiophilleo, that requires vBus power, or straight to the USB of a Metrum Hex that doesn't. will report once delivered. (btw: Michael is offering free shipping 'till the end of March ;) )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I have had my regen since mid-december, adding it to what I listened to then made a huge difference, 2013 macbook air i5, jitterbug, Roon, HQPlayer and a attached HDD with apprx 1000 cd's or downloads on. It took away more of that digititis (that glare that is there, but you may not realize until it is gone or diminishes), transparency went up and the seperation (geometry) of the performers was greater, leading edges were better defined and the bass, oh my, was much better with more dynamics and slam. Then in early Jan. my regen developed a problem and my mac could no longer see my dac. Alex jumped in immediately, we/he trouble shot it and determined I had to return the unit for replacement. The next evening when I listened to music without the regen I could barely recognize the sound, it was thin, brighter (digititis) and I was no longer involved in the music. Ugh, I wanted my regen back. The next listening session I installed my new, built by me, dedicated audio computer with win 7 pro, i7-4790 processor, SSD for OS, 8 GB ram and audio fidelizer free. Still no regen, but now the sound was much closer to what I had with the mac and regen. I still cannot believe the 2 computers can sound that different. A few days later the regen was back and another nice jump in sound quality. All was right again.

Fast forward to this past weekend when I finished my dedicated linear PSU for the Regen based on a Belleson super power regulator. I followed his schematic for a PSU on his questions page. The PSU outputs 7.47 Vdc of clean, very very low noise power. WOW another nice step up; the same impressions I had when I first got the regen, but everything was even better, transparency was amazing, separation (geometry) was another few feet bigger, leading edges were very impressive and that bass, oh boy. I had real slam with only 9 watt peaks on my admittedly efficent speakers (apprx 91 db). The performers were now much more human like rather than stereo like, if that makes sense. If Alex and John's new baby PSU is that good, and it should be, everyone is in for a really nice treat when they hook it up.

I am simply amazed how far my computer audio SQ has come since that mac, iTunes, HDD days. Now I run win 10 pro, Roon, HQplayer, Audio Fidelizer pro 7 (amazing product btw), my same HDD, jitterbug, and Regen with belleson based psu, all controlled by my iPad. The musicians are now truly in the room. My emotional connection to the music is the greatest it has ever been. I have been analog based for years; SME 30 MK2, dynavetor XV1s and pass xono phono stage, and I am trained in set up by Wally Malewicz who I have known for over 20 years. My TT now sits with it SME cover on. Love music and love this hobby.

Wow, thanks for that nice recap of your adventure Quadman!

Really warmed me to read that this evening--after what has been a tough week filled with very long days (things rarely go smoothly for long when one runs their own hyper-active business with a lot of moving parts and people to coordinate).

It is finally raining here and I am glad it is Friday (though this weekend I'll be rotating JS-2 LPS units through the burn-in rack while working on my taxes and kid's college FAFSA forms).

John and I (mostly John) are making good progress on the new products, so hopefully there will be more toys for all to play with in a couple of months.

And the county just approved the plans and issued the permits for me to at last begin construction of the new UpTone Production Facility (UPF). So while I'm happy it is raining--we really need it here in California--I am looking forward to spring and bulldozers!

Have a fine weekend all,

--Alex C.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to tell the difference with my Ayre Codex on either a 2012 Mac Mini (Audirvana Plus 2) or Raspberry Pi 2 (with Moode) whether or not they played through the USB Regen. We can hear a big difference between the Pi and the Mac Mini, so there are gains to be made in this system.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP)