IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

I thought this would be good idea since the other thread is so large with development updates this will be quick impression thread for all to read.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

You need a password for the page.

Matt

Yes, the website opens up to the general public on Tuesday, April 14th but the Regens don't ship out until the following day. There wouldn't be any impressions to post until some days after that.

If you would like to have the password before Tuesday's official website launch you just need to PM Alex. He may not have time to answer you, however, as it's crunch time and he has dozens of orders promised to be shipped just 3 days from now.

Esau

Yes, this thread is for listening impressions. You can request a Regen by going to this thread or contacting Alex who is "superdad" on this forum. OR you can just send him an email at crespi (at) sti (dot) net

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

update: Alex asked for ordering to be done through the web site, and not by way of the other Regen thread.

If you send him your email address and there are still less than 100 Regens sold, he may send you the code to get into the site already today. AFAIK, the web site will be open to the public tomorrow - the 14th.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have ordered one last saturday... :-)

I hope to be one of the first customer.

I am wondering if I can connect the regen also with a clean 12 linear power supply..

I don't like the wall smpa :-(

I am very curious!!!

Ps. :-)

Thank you one and all for your orders. Woke up this morning to find there are only about 8 left unsold. Wow.

With regards to powering the REGEN from supplies above the 6-8V we silkscreened onto the case:

Below is a quickly edited version of what I wrote a couple weeks back in the other REGN thread, and this common question will be one of the very first to be addressed in the FAQ update of the web site the moment I catch my breath:

The REGEN has two expensive, ultra-low noise regulators (the wonderful TI TPS7A4700), one for 3.3V for the USB hub chip, and one for 5V for forwarding clean VBUS to the DAC for those that require it.

The +DC input voltage to the REGEN needs to be:

a) Above 6 volts since one of the regulators is being used to make clean 5V for any USB devices which need it;

but

b) Preferably below about 9V since we want the REGEN to be usable by those people whose DACs are entirely bus powered, and if one of those DACs draws the 500mA USB-spec allowed max., then the 4V drop from 9V to 5V is going to generate 2W of heat on a regulator with no heat sink. Such should be okay, especially since even bus-powered USB DAC/headphone amps are staying below the full 500mA spec.

On the other hand, if you have a bus-powered DAC drawing the full 0.5A allowed by the USB spec and you use a 12V PS, then the drop to get to 5V is 7V; 7V*0.5A=3.5 watts--perhaps a bit more than I would feel comfortable with. Probably okay, but I'd rather go to 9V or below.

If you DAC's USB input is NOT entirely bus-powered--say just powering your USB input for handshake, then a 12V or even greater supply could even be used, though there is no need. But it is hard to now just how much current your USB input will draw--unless you ask the manufacturer or find that your DAC works fine without ANY USB power.

If you don't need any bus power at all--or for sure only just for initial handshake--then you really don't have to worry. I think our USB hub chip draws less than 50mA at 3.3V, so it would be pretty hard to overheat that second regulator. (even 15V dropped to 3.3V will, at 50mA be only about 0.6w)

We are trying to keep the regulator for the 5VBUS from having to dissipate much more than 2.5W since it does not have a heatsink and is in a sealed enclosure.

As you know we will be including a 7.5V/2.93A/22W SMPS that I selected as best "sounding" for the price. Yes, our own JS-2 LPS beats it, but the REGEN sounds GREAT with just the stock supply.

As you can see, current capability for the REGEN's PS is really not the issue. The only reason I chose such a high wattage PS to include is that I found that size to be the sweet spot quality and output capacitance for current delivery--bass was better than on the little cheap ones, and MUCH better, and with clearer highs than on any of the available inexpensive linears (only wall warts; all the factory tabletop linears are unregulated units). Go figure…

Thank you one and all for your orders. Woke up this morning to find there are only about 8 left unsold. Wow.

With regards to powering the REGEN from supplies above the 6-8V we silkscreened onto the case:

Below is a quickly edited version of what I wrote a couple weeks back in the other REGN thread, and this common question will be one of the very first to be addressed in the FAQ update of the web site the moment I catch my breath:

The REGEN has two expensive, ultra-low noise regulators (the wonderful TI TPS7A4700), one for 3.3V for the USB hub chip, and one for 5V for forwarding clean VBUS to the DAC for those that require it.

The +DC input voltage to the REGEN needs to be:

a) Above 6 volts since one of the regulators is being used to make clean 5V for any USB devices which need it;

but

b) Preferably below about 9V since we want the REGEN to be usable by those people whose DACs are entirely bus powered, and if one of those DACs draws the 500mA USB-spec allowed max., then the 4V drop from 9V to 5V is going to generate 2W of heat on a regulator with no heat sink. Such should be okay, especially since even bus-powered USB DAC/headphone amps are staying below the full 500mA spec.

On the other hand, if you have a bus-powered DAC drawing the full 0.5A allowed by the USB spec and you use a 12V PS, then the drop to get to 5V is 7V; 7V*0.5A=3.5 watts--perhaps a bit more than I would feel comfortable with. Probably okay, but I'd rather go to 9V or below.

If you DAC's USB input is NOT entirely bus-powered--say just powering your USB input for handshake, then a 12V or even greater supply could even be used, though there is no need. But it is hard to now just how much current your USB input will draw--unless you ask the manufacturer or find that your DAC works fine without ANY USB power.

If you don't need any bus power at all--or for sure only just for initial handshake--then you really don't have to worry. I think our USB hub chip draws less than 50mA at 3.3V, so it would be pretty hard to overheat that second regulator. (even 15V dropped to 3.3V will, at 50mA be only about 0.6w)

We are trying to keep the regulator for the 5VBUS from having to dissipate much more than 2.5W since it does not have a heatsink and is in a sealed enclosure.

As you know we will be including a 7.5V/2.93A/22W SMPS that I selected as best "sounding" for the price. Yes, our own JS-2 LPS beats it, but the REGEN sounds GREAT with just the stock supply.

As you can see, current capability for the REGEN's PS is really not the issue. The only reason I chose such a high wattage PS to include is that I found that size to be the sweet spot quality and output capacitance for current delivery--bass was better than on the little cheap ones, and MUCH better, and with clearer highs than on any of the available inexpensive linears (only wall warts; all the factory tabletop linears are unregulated units). Go figure…

Thank you very much for your fast reply...:-)

My dac is a MSB Analog, I think is it bus powered form the pc/mac...

A

Alex,

Going the other way, if I am running a DAC that does not require bus power is it safe to run the Regen off a 5V linear supply ?

If you first test (without the REGEN) your DAC by taping over USB 5VBUS pin 1 (I find this easiest to do at the computer 'A' end of the cable with a narrow cut strip of business card stock inserted a folded over). Or use a cable that you know does not connect 5VBUS line. That way you can determine that your DAC's USB input will or won't function without ANY external 5V--not even for computer "handshake."

Once you are certain that no 5VBUS is needed, then yes, you can run the REGEN from a 5V supply. The main function, USB hub chip signal regeneration and impedance match runs off of 3.3V from a separate ultra-low-noise regulator, thus 5V input allows for plenty of drop required for that regulator to do its thing.

My own DAC does not use any USB power, and so I have been able to test the above just by setting one output of my JS-2 LPS to 5V.

Would be interested to hear from any early receivers of the Regen who also own a JCAT, SOtM, or PPA card and how it compares to them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Guys, this thread is dedicated to listening impressions.

If you have general questions about the product (design, availability, features etc) please post them in the original Regen thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index16.html

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone using a filtered USB cable like the Totaldac D1. I haven't got a clue what's in their little box. A comparison to a less extravagant USB cable with a REGEN would be nice.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone using a filtered USB cable like the Totaldac D1. I haven't got a clue what's in their little box. A comparison to a less extravagant USB cable with a REGEN would be nice.

I am also curious. I have the Totaldac D1 Cable too and was not particolary impressed.. :-(

I am also curious. I have the Totaldac D1 Cable too and was not particolary impressed.. :-(

Well I have the Totaldac D1 and I have also got one of the first batch of 50 Regen's released, so I will let you know my thoughts on the Regen; both with and without the D1....don't clog this thread Alexis, but PM me, interested in your thoughts on the D1, as mine are opposite.....

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

none delivered yet or... are you all just busy listening? :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

What is your initial response. I know its premature but would like to hear it anyway

Well I have the Totaldac D1 and I have also got one of the first batch of 50 Regen's released, so I will let you know my thoughts on the Regen; both with and without the D1....don't clog this thread Alexis, but PM me, interested in your thoughts on the D1, as mine are opposite.....

: popcorn :

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Honestly? My first reaction was Holy Shit.

Ok. Elaborate Mr. JTW :)

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.